Self-Immolation

My father committed suicide too. He hung himself.

Y'know, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. Since you know how that made you feel, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to put someone through that. If you're seriously contemplating suicide as some are worried you might, an Internet forum is not what you need. Of course, nobody wants you to hurt yourself. I know I don't, please seek real help. You owe it to yourself and your family.

On the other hand, if this is all just for the attention, shame on you for worrying people who don't even know you.

Y'know, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that. Since you know how that made you feel, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to put someone through that. If you're seriously contemplating suicide as some are worried you might, an Internet forum is not what you need. Of course, nobody wants you to hurt yourself. I know I don't, please seek real help. You owe it to yourself and your family.

On the other hand, if this is all just for the attention, shame on you for worrying people who don't even know you.

You don't know me at all. I didn't start this thread for attention. It came to me because I am clearing out the past. I've left Buddhism and there are these shreds of memory of things that impacted me.

One of my first awarenesses of Buddhism was the self-immolation during the Vietnam War, a war, that as a child, I was acutely touched by.

It's fine if you don't believe that or don't understand it.

There are people here who don't believe anything at all about me, and that makes me realize I should have created a fictional identity all along.

give a man a match and he'll stay warm for a day .... set him on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life!!:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
What completely amaze me about it, was the stillness of the monk in his meditation. He never wavered.

You don't know me at all. I didn't start this thread for attention. It came to me because I am clearing out the past. I've left Buddhism and there are these shreds of memory of things that impacted me.

One of my first awarenesses of Buddhism was the self-immolation during the Vietnam War, a war, that as a child, I was acutely touched by.

It's fine if you don't believe that or don't understand it.

There are people here who don't believe anything at all about me, and that makes me realize I should have created a fictional identity all along.

You're right, I don't know you at all, not even on this site. You should expect nothing of me. If you just wanted an interesting discussion about this, then my apologies. It just seems to me, you're trying to create this impression you might just hurt yourself. If you legitimately feel you might, reach out to the people who do know you and care about you for real. I just don't think you'll find what you need here, and I don't want you to be disappointed.

The fact though, that you honed in on the last and smallest point in my post makes me suspicious. Let's cut to the chase. Will you give some reasurance to those who have expressed concern over you, that they need not be so worried?

What completely amaze me about it, was the stillness of the monk in his meditation. He never wavered.

I know that you have views on this subject, but if an animal behaved this way, we would understand that the animal was ill or perhaps mentally ill (i.e, whales that beach themselves). Why are we capable of recognizing an attempt at self destruction as sickness in an animal but you revere it as noble in a human?

This isn't nobility. It's sickness.

Last edited:

It's fine if you don't believe that or don't understand it. The monk never blinked an eye or moved a muscle. After his body was burned, his heart was removed and enshrined.

You're right, I don't know you at all, not even on this site. You should expect nothing of me. If you just wanted an interesting discussion about this, then my apologies. It just seems to me, you're trying to create this impression you might just hurt yourself. If you legitimately feel you might, reach out to the people who do know you and care about you for real. I just don't think you'll find what you need here, and I don't want you to be disappointed.

The fact though, that you honed in on the last and smallest point in my post makes me suspicious. Let's cut to the chase. Will you give some reasurance to those who have expressed concern over you, that they need not be so worried?

I wanted to discuss this topic because it has always interested me.

Last edited:
It showed he was willing to die for his people. Buddhists did not consider this self-immolation act, suicide, but self-sacrifice.

Last edited:
It was a protest over religious persecution in Vietnam.

I would be more then happy to have muslims touch themselves in protest of their religious persecutions.

I know ..you think it was some great selfless act.

I think it was a great video bite and ridiculous and pointless as hell.

I would be more then happy to have muslims touch themselves in protest of their religious persecutions.

I was moved by it, when I was young. It matched the angst I felt over the Vietnam War.

I was moved by it, when I was young. It matched the angst I felt over the Vietnam War.

so what are you saying?

no longer young and no longer moved?

Forum List

Back