Self-Immolation

This particular self-immolation was a political act, an act of self-sacrifice, not a suicide.

There are far more effective, less lethal and downright painful ways to make a political statement than self-immolation.

I get a little miffed when I burn my hand on a hot pot handle. Somehow I can't see myself going through quantum levels worse than that. Ouch!!!!

There are far more effective, less lethal and downright painful ways to make a political statement than self-immolation.

I get a little miffed when I burn my hand on a hot pot handle. Somehow I can't see myself going through quantum levels worse than that. Ouch!!!!

It's really quite extraordinary. When I was a Buddhist I asked my teacher didn't that act constitute grave non-virtue as a suicide?

Apparently, it really depends on the motivation. This monk had self-less altruisim.

It's really quite extraordinary. When I was a Buddhist I asked my teacher didn't that act constitute grave non-virtue as a suicide?

Apparently, it really depends on the motivation. This monk had self-less altruisim.

Don't ya love the way religion bends its own "rules" to suit itself?

Yeah, religion is full of those kinds of things. When I was in retreat, my dog was dying, I had strict instructions not to euthanize him.

Yeah, religion is full of those kinds of things. When I was in retreat, my dog was dying, I had strict instructions not to euthanize him.

And what kind of bullshit is that? I know you said what it was in a different thread...

I would have told your "instructors" to ram it up their asses.....

And what kind of bullshit is that? I know you said what it was in a different thread...

I would have told your "instructors" to ram it up their asses.....

You don't say that to a "vajra master".

Oh?...and why not?

I can't really explain it to your satisfaction. It would take too long, and I've determined that talking about this stuff here is not wise.

Oh?...try me.

Sounds to me as if you came across some sadistic ass hole lunatic who held you in thrall.

Sorry, no one is going to tell order me not to put my pet down.

I'll tell you what REALLY angers me about that now. The same teacher is now saying there is Buddhist teaching that justifies either position.

My dog Charlie, was blind, deaf, incontinent of bowl and urine, had bed sores, had his joints come out of alignment, and got to the point where he would shit blood after every meal.

What was true though, was that Charlie wanted to live. He just kept going, no matter what.

We gave him pain medication, and I spent a good portion of my retreat time caring for him. He always tried to get up and had to be helped.

It broke my heart. Finally, he passed in his sleep.

I will not do that again, even if I have to take on the karma of the killing.

I can't really explain it to your satisfaction. It would take too long, and I've determined that talking about this stuff here is not wise.

Oh?...try me.

Sounds to me as if you came across some sadistic ass hole lunatic who held you in thrall.

I'll tell you what REALLY angers me about that now. The same teacher is now saying there is Buddhist teaching that justifies either position.

My dog Charlie, was blind, deaf, incontinent of bowl and urine, had bed sores, had his joints come out of alignment, and got to the point where he would shit blood after every meal.

What was true though, was that Charlie wanted to live. He just kept going, no matter what.

We gave him pain medication, and I spent a good portion of my retreat time caring for him. He always tried to get up and had to be helped.

so what you are saying is that the sadistic ass just wanted you to do what HE wanted you to do..... Sounds to me as if he wanted to mind fuck you with the suffering of your pet...to learn some idiotic religious lesson.

Im sorry about your dog...and i am sorry he suffered for some cult religion. Quantity of life is not quality of life. And... you should be DAMN ANGRY about it!

If your're not a buddhist anymore then you dont have to worry about karma.... do your beloved pets a favor and don't put them through pain like that ever again. Animals don't give a rats ass about human religions.

Oh?...try me.

so what you are saying is that the sadistic ass just wanted you to do what HE wanted you to do..... Sounds to me as if he wanted to mind fuck you with the suffering of your pet...to learn some idiotic religious lesson.

Im sorry about your dog...and i am sorry he suffered for some cult religion. Quantity of life is not quality of life. And... you should be DAMN ANGRY about it!

If your're not a buddhist anymore then you dont have to worry about karma.... do your beloved pets a favor and don't put them through pain like that ever again. Animals don't give a rats ass about human religions.

The view in Buddhism is that the animal realm is a lower realm, and when one purifies the lower realm one progresses to a higher one.

I pray that Charlie has been reborn as a human and is progressing swiftly on his spiritual path.

Forum List

Back