See the Washington Monument While You Still Can

The darkies are no longer happy and gay on the first Saturday in May. Much ado about nothing fakery news.

As always, the mistake of implementing 2019 values on actions of 50-150 years ago.
Lib 101

Horrible Kate Smith will never bother anyone again with her offensive singing:

Philadelphia Flyers take down Kate Smith statue outside arena
I couldn't get into the article. Why do they have a statue of Kate Smith in front of their arena? Is she from Philly, too? Her and Rocky both?

NO, neither one. And good riddance to any they can dump.

For whatever reason, when hockey came to Philly somebody thought it would be a good idea to play Kate Smith
(then again, somebody thought it would be a good idea to play hockey).... :eusa_shifty:

So it became one of those "we do it because we've always done it" dead ends.

You might gather that I'm not a hockey fan. Didn't exist when I grew up. So I wasn't aware there even was a Kate Smith statue. As such it would have been a monument to the above dead end reasoning.

I do have to wonder if blaring "God Bless America" was a way to get under the skins of the Canadian teams. That would be so Philadelphia.

Last edited:
I couldn't get into the article. Why do they have a statue of Kate Smith in front of their arena? Is she from Philly, too? Her and Rocky both?
She became a sort of mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team because when her recording of God Bless America was played, the Flyers never lost (so they say).

Taking down her link to the team now because of some popular song she sang from the '30s is just imbecilic.
Icon Paul Robeson sang the song too. Do the activists also want to revoke Robeson's blackness?

She became a sort of mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team because when her recording of God Bless America was played, the Flyers never lost (so they say).

Taking down her link to the team now because of some popular song she sang from the '30s is just imbecilic.
Icon Paul Robeson sang the song too. Do the activists also want to revoke Robeson's blackness?

Yes during their two Stanley Cup winning seasons (74/75 & 75/76) the Flyers would win when they played Kate Smith's recording of God Bless America instead of the National Anthem prior to games. It became a kind of fetish to the point where they had her come sing it live, possibly multiple times, but I believe only once during a Cup finals game.

The statue originally stood outside the Spectrum which was the Flyers original arena, then was moved to their new building, the Wells Fargo Center when the Spectrum was torn down.

The Yankees have suspended the use of Kate Smith’s recording of “God Bless America” during the seventh-inning stretch while they investigate an allegation of racism against the singer for a song she recorded in 1939.

Yanks bench Kate Smith while investigating racism

The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously. And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.”

Meanwhile, in 1939 when the song was released, the Yankees did not allow blacks on their team. How sensitive was that?

The Yankees take social, racial and cultural insensitivities very seriously. And while no final conclusions have been made, we are erring on the side of sensitivity.”

Meanwhile, in 1939 when the song was released, the Yankees did not allow blacks on their team. How sensitive was that?
Unsurprising as there were no blacks in major league baseball at all. Blacks had their own special league.
The color barrier would not be broken for another eight years.

The Yankees have suspended the use of Kate Smith’s recording of “God Bless America” during the seventh-inning stretch while they investigate an allegation of racism against the singer for a song she recorded in 1939.

Stellar point, They should be held to 2019 mores, which is what liberals Love to do, and not the mores of 1939 thus the Yankees should no longer be a MLB team.

Yes during their two Stanley Cup winning seasons (74/75 & 75/76) the Flyers would win when they played Kate Smith's recording of God Bless America instead of the National Anthem prior to games. It became a kind of fetish to the point where they had her come sing it live, possibly multiple times, but I believe only once during a Cup finals game.

The statue originally stood outside the Spectrum which was the Flyers original arena, then was moved to their new building, the Wells Fargo Center when the Spectrum was torn down.

We used to call that building the "Rectum".

Unsurprising as there were no blacks in major league baseball at all. Blacks had their own special league.
The color barrier would not be broken for another eight years.
Yup...that was 1939 America
Segregated baseball, Jim Crow and rampant racial prejudice
Hard to hold Kate Smith responsible for that

Stellar point, They should be held to 2019 mores, which is what liberals Love to do, and not the mores of 1939 thus the Yankees should no longer be a MLB team.

Agree
The Yankees should pay a price for their racial practices in 1939, just like Kate Smith

I did too, and I am from there. We all called it the Rectum.

Philly cheesesteak? Which is the best?

Saw many a concert in there. Cream, Steppenwolf, Dreadful Gate, LedZep, Pink Floyd......

Philly cheesesteak? Which is the best?

Dalessandro's.

Pat's and Geno's are for the tourists. Tony Lukes and Jim's are OK though.

Dalessandro's Steaks and Hoagies. Philadelphia, PA

However, the other Philly sandwich is the Roast Pork with sharp Provolone, peppers and Broccoli Rabe. Go to the Reading Terminal Market or any steak sandwich/hoagie place to get one, but I like the Reading Terminal Market because you can get just about anything there including great cheesesteaks.

https://readingterminalmarket.org/

Last edited:

Saw many a concert in there. Cream, Steppenwolf, Dreadful Gate, LedZep, Pink Floyd......

I saw Carol King (my first concert), Paul McCartney, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Eric Clapton twice, The Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Who (loudest by far), Yes, and probably others. They got all the big names there.

Last edited:
The Beach Boys!!! Oh, sweet Jesus....tell me it's not so. :icon_cry:

Well, I was 14, but they were GREAT. They played a lot of their well known hits, but did a set of hard rock, which was totally unexpected and out of character. They sounded awesome.

Yes (the band Yes) and Eric Clapton were probably the two best concerts I saw there. They also used to get really big names at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, and the Electric Factory in Philly, and various colleges around the area also had big names.

Forum List

Back