See the Washington Monument While You Still Can

She became a sort of mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team because when her recording of God Bless America was played, the Flyers never lost (so they say).

Taking down her link to the team now because of some popular song she sang from the '30s is just imbecilic.
Icon Paul Robeson sang the song too. Do the activists also want to revoke Robeson's blackness?

Yes during their two Stanley Cup winning seasons (74/75 & 75/76) the Flyers would win when they played Kate Smith's recording of God Bless America instead of the National Anthem prior to games. It became a kind of fetish to the point where they had her come sing it live, possibly multiple times, but I believe only once during a Cup finals game.

The statue originally stood outside the Spectrum which was the Flyers original arena, then was moved to their new building, the Wells Fargo Center when the Spectrum was torn down.

We used to call that building the "Rectum".

I did too, and I am from there. We all called it the Rectum.

Saw many a concert in there. Cream, Steppenwolf, Dreadful Gate, LedZep, Pink Floyd......

I saw Carol King (my first concert), Paul McCartney, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Eric Clapton twice, The Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Who (loudest by far), Yes, and probably others. They got all the big names there.

Yes was another one, the Topographic tour. Jefferson Airplane. Also CCR in a very short show (40 minutes). Saw Clapton with Derek and the Dominoes but I think that was at the Electric Factory. Van Morrison was definitely at the Factory. I've seen ELP but not sure where --- probably the Rectum.

Oh and the Doors too.

Last edited:
Yes during their two Stanley Cup winning seasons (74/75 & 75/76) the Flyers would win when they played Kate Smith's recording of God Bless America instead of the National Anthem prior to games. It became a kind of fetish to the point where they had her come sing it live, possibly multiple times, but I believe only once during a Cup finals game.

The statue originally stood outside the Spectrum which was the Flyers original arena, then was moved to their new building, the Wells Fargo Center when the Spectrum was torn down.

Saw many a concert in there. Cream, Steppenwolf, Dreadful Gate, LedZep, Pink Floyd......

I saw Carol King (my first concert), Paul McCartney, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Eric Clapton twice, The Moody Blues, Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, The Who (loudest by far), Yes, and probably others. They got all the big names there.

Yes was another one, the Topographic tour. Jefferson Airplane. Also CCR in a very short show (40 minutes). Saw Clapton with Derek and the Dominoes but I think that was at the Electric Factory. Van Morrison was definitely at the Factory. I've seen ELP but not sure where --- probably the Rectum.

I like all those bands. Saw the Kinks at then West Chester State College in 1977. Back then you could see some name bands at smaller venues around the area like colleges, the Tower, etc.

I like all those bands. Saw the Kinks at then West Chester State College in 1977. Back then you could see some name bands at smaller venues around the area like colleges, the Tower, etc.

And the Main Point....

Saw Joni Mitchell but by then she was too big for the Main Point and played Valley Forge.

Saw Dave Cousins in Trenton, great show. I think Gong was there too. Which reminds me, big Strawbs reunion coming up in of all places Lakewood, this weekend.

I forgot all about the Tower. Went there a few times, I think Bowie.

And the Main Point....

Saw Joni Mitchell but by then she was too big for the Main Point and played Valley Forge.

Saw Dave Cousins in Trenton, great show. I think Gong was there too. Which reminds me, big Strawbs reunion coming up in of all places Lakewood, this weekend.

I went to college close to there. We used to walk to the Main Point. The David Live album (Bowie) was recorded at the Tower. The Main Point got a lot of famous people on the rise. Impressive list. I think Springsteen played there around the time he played at my school which was a year before I got there before he became really big. (not a Bruce fan)

And the Main Point....

I went to college close to there. We used to walk to the Main Point. The David Live album (Bowie) was recorded at the Tower. The Main Point got a lot of famous people on the rise. Impressive list. I think Springsteen played there around the time he played at my school which was a year before I got there before he became really big. (not a Bruce fan)

Nor am I. Sounds like somebody always in the process of throwing up. But as you know we were subjected to him constantly by MMR and YSP. Torture. :puke:

TBH, part of me is glad that this relic from the 9/11days is going away....We already get a nice scoop of compulsory patriotism before the game starts...Enough already..

Why is patriotism compulsory for you?
Maybe you could immigrate to Venezuela?

Well, I was 14, but they were GREAT. They played a lot of their well known hits, but did a set of hard rock, which was totally unexpected and out of character. They sounded awesome.

Yes (the band Yes) and Eric Clapton were probably the two best concerts I saw there. They also used to get really big names at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, and the Electric Factory in Philly, and various colleges around the area also had big names.
Not to derail but Yes was my favorite band for years and they were the sort of band that you felt you could always catch them later on and now Chris Squire is gone so I really can't see the band in their full glory.

But living in the Bay Area I was very luck to be growing up in the center of the rock universe at an amazing time so I got to see all sorts of great bands (Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Wings, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Queen, Warren Zevon, Doors, Robin Trower, and on and on, not to belabor the point).

But
there were real legends residing in the area like my very favorite ever, Van Morrison, that I could drive over to Marin or in the city, and see them practically any time I wanted. Santana, Tower of Power, The Tubes, Steve Miller band, Dan Hicks (little known, long remembered) Romeo Void, Huey Lewis were always around.
The down side is crap hippie bands like the Grateful Dead were always around too and jag offs like Eddie Money.

But enough about me and the bygone days.

Well, I was 14, but they were GREAT. They played a lot of their well known hits, but did a set of hard rock, which was totally unexpected and out of character. They sounded awesome.

Yes (the band Yes) and Eric Clapton were probably the two best concerts I saw there. They also used to get really big names at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, and the Electric Factory in Philly, and various colleges around the area also had big names.
Not to derail but Yes was my favorite band for years and they were the sort of band that you felt you could always catch them later on and now Chris Squire is gone so I really can't see the band in their full glory.

But living in the Bay Area I was very luck to be growing up in the center of the rock universe at an amazing time so I got to see all sorts of great bands (Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Wings, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Queen, Warren Zevon, Doors, Robin Trower, and on and on, not to belabor the point).

But
there were real legends residing in the area like my very favorite ever, Van Morrison, that I could drive over to Marin or in the city, and see them practically any time I wanted. Santana, Tower of Power, The Tubes, Steve Miller band, Dan Hicks (little known, long remembered) Romeo Void, Huey Lewis were always around.
The down side is crap hippie bands like the Grateful Dead were always around too and jag offs like Eddie Money.

I envy you the easy access to Dan Hicks.
Actually had my picture taken with Dan to prove we are not the same person (we looked a lot alike). RIP Dan.

But

I like just about all of them too. Yeah, never a Dead fan. When I lived in the Bay Area we used to go to Slims in SoMa which was owned by Boz Scaggs at the time who was a heck of a Blues/Rock guy also.

I couldn't get into the article. Why do they have a statue of Kate Smith in front of their arena? Is she from Philly, too? Her and Rocky both?
She became a sort of mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers hockey team because when her recording of God Bless America was played, the Flyers never lost (so they say).

Taking down her link to the team now because of some popular song she sang from the '30s is just imbecilic.
Icon Paul Robeson sang the song too. Do the activists also want to revoke Robeson's blackness?

Philly cheesesteak? Which is the best?
Pats

Forum List

Back