Secondhand Smoke Threat Confirmed as a Lie

No, they did not. Did you actually read the study?

or just the blog?

No, they did not. Did you actually read the study?

or just the blog?

Did you?
However, among women who had never smoked, exposure to passive smoking overall, and to most categories of passive smoking, did not statistically significantly increase lung cancer risk. The only category of exposure that showed a trend toward increased risk was living in the same house with a smoker for 30 years or more.

It is preposterous for us to worry about second hand smoke but to ignore the fact that we have 200,000,000 vehicles in this country that *spew more poison into the air in one hour than a smoker spews into the air in a year.*

* completely made up statistic alert!

My nana has emphesema from passive smoking. My pop died from lung cancer. My uncle died a few weeks ago after two lung transplants which he needed because smokes had damaged his body.

Don't ever say that passive smoking is a lie.

My parents were smokers, my 4 siblings were smokers, I'm the only one in the family that never picked up the habit and I now have pulmonary problems. When I lived at home, I got bronchitis every winter. When I moved away, I never got it again with one exception. I worked next to a chain smoker, that year it was so bad I had to have shots to get rid of it. You will never convince me that 2nd hand smoke isn't harmful.

Personal observations, while captivating, are no rebuttal to scientific studies.

While the findings are limited to lung cancer (and other health impacts may later be confirmed), it does highlight how loose with the facts our omnipotent government has been on this issue. Indeed,I feel certain there remain countless government communications floating about, claiming as a known fact that "second-hand smoke" causes lung cancer.

I have followed this issue closely for years, and most of the "studies" cited in the media have been self-serving nonsense, published by hacks with an ax to grind.

The FDA's main guidance is nothing more than a compilation of dozens of flawed studies, noting that they all have the same findings.

Does anyone believe that smoking tobacco or using smokeless tobacco is harmless?

It is insane that Heroin and Marijuana are schedule I drugs, outlawed as having no medical purpose, and tobacco and alcohol are legal in all 50 states.

Neither Heroin or MJ kill; tobacco and alcohol are killers.

Public smoking is a thing of the past and should have been banned a generation ago

Does anyone believe that smoking tobacco or using smokeless tobacco is harmless?

It is insane that Heroin and Marijuana are schedule I drugs, outlawed as having no medical purpose, and tobacco and alcohol are legal in all 50 states.

Neither Heroin or MJ kill; tobacco and alcohol are killers.

Nobody is saying that smoking tobacco is harmless. The discussion concerns the scientific studies of second hand smoke.
Heroin doesn't kill?

Last edited:
Lie or not, just don't expect me to sit in a restaurant near someone else who is smoking. I can't stand the stink and it lessens the enjoyment of my meal. As far as I'm concerned, their rights stop at my nose.

Lie or not, just don't expect me to sit in a restaurant near someone else who is smoking. I can't stand the stink and it lessens the enjoyment of my meal. As far as I'm concerned, their rights stop at my nose.

The concept that smokers should be allowed to expell their stink in public without being challenged is repulsive

My nana has emphesema from passive smoking. My pop died from lung cancer. My uncle died a few weeks ago after two lung transplants which he needed because smokes had damaged his body.

My dad has lung cancer and never smoked a cigarette in his life. But he did work in an office that had many smokers and that was during the days when smoking in the office was the norm.
Secondly, my daughter is a Respiratory Therapist, she maintains there is more evidence that second hand smoke indeed can cause cancer than the claims it doesn't.
I have big doubts about the OP's claim.

If you don't think there should be smoking areas in bars where non smokers don't have to enter should bathrooms be eliminated to prevent people inhaling fart and shit particles?

My dad has lung cancer and never smoked a cigarette in his life. But he did work in an office that had many smokers and that was during the days when smoking in the office was the norm.
Secondly, my daughter is a Respiratory Therapist, she maintains there is more evidence that second hand smoke indeed can cause cancer than the claims it doesn't.
I have big doubts about the OP's claim.
My best friend has lung cancer and he never smoked not lived with smokers. Well he did smoke pot. Hate to break it you but people get lung cancer for reasons other than smoking

What is repugnant is a local government that insists that business people should be forced to disallow smoking in their own establishments. The owner of the business should decide rather smoking is allowed or not on their own premises. Another example of progressive government (left and right) impinging on people's liberties. What unholy progressive larva do these politicians hatch from?

My friend smoked for 40 years and never got cancer or heart disease. My grandmother died of lung cancer and she never smoked a day in her life-neither did her husband or her children.

Studies have shown that cancer runs in families and the susceptibility to it is hereditary.

You get worse lung pollution driving down the highway with your window open.
Remember, the study did not deal with smokers, but ONLY with secondhand smoke.

What is repugnant is a local government that insists that business people should be forced to disallow smoking in their own establishments. The owner of the business should decide rather smoking is allowed or not on their own premises. Another example of progressive government (left and right) impinging on people's liberties. What unholy progressive larva do these politicians hatch from?

Remember, the study did not deal with smokers, but ONLY WITH SECONDHAND SMOKE.

Forum List

Back