SCotUS Upholds Texas Voter ID Law.

It is a reasonable requirement likely to do what it is intended to do--add confidence to the vote results that people are who they say they are. The idea that it discriminates against blacks is ridiculous. If anything, right wingish seniors would be more likely disenfranchised than left-wingish blacks. Hell, people use that same tired argument in Virginia, and a utility bill with your name and address is sufficient identification.

It is a reasonable requirement likely to do what it is intended to do--add confidence to the vote results that people are who they say they are. The idea that it discriminates against blacks is ridiculous. If anything, right wingish seniors would be more likely disenfranchised than left-wingish blacks. Hell, people use that same tired argument in Virginia, and a utility bill with your name and address is sufficient identification.

Agreed, and my question is can I take my neighbors utility bill to the polls, tell them that it is mine and vote?

This is off topic, but I read somewhere that the Wisconsin voter ID law was rejected by the Supreme Court because it was stated that 300,000 or 9% of the people in Wisconsin did not have a picture ID.
How would they get to the polls to vote? They can't drive without a drivers license. None of these 300,000 could possibly have a bank account, a credit card or fly on an airplane, and can you get food stamps and welfare without ID?

I was raised in Wisconsin graduated from High School and attended the University of Wisconsin. I had a farm permit to drive when I was 15 a drivers license at 16 and have a lot of relatives that still live there. I find it difficult to accept that 300,000 number.

Before this thread is infected by hyperbolic race baiting liberals I just wanted to add a few thoughts on this topic in general. From left wing posters on this site I keep hearing about how there is not a big problem with particular types of voter fraud. When I hear these points I keep asking the same question. Have they not heard of Google? The internet? Do they think they are fooling anyone who knows how to read or gets information from someplace other than Media Matters or MSNBC? For those who say there is no evidence of voter I.D. fraud I have to ask another question. Have they not heard of Al Franken? When the same people point out that there are other more pervasive types of voter fraud I have to ask myself yet more questions. Should we not attempt to extinguish ALL types of voter fraud? Should we not make murder illegal because more people jay walk? I am not comparing voter fraud with murder. I am pointing out however that both arguments are stupid. I will also add that there is not one iota of evidence to suggest that minority groups change voting patterns when voter I.D. laws are enacted. However, the left will still claim racism. Facts simply don't matter when attacking common sense.

Not racism, just voter suppression so greedy idiot Pubs can continue to pander to the rich and wreck the nonrich and the country. And racism lol...

Not racism, just voter suppression so greedy idiot Pubs can continue to pander to the rich and wreck the nonrich and the country. And racism lol...
Answer the question, without ID how does one get to the polls? If one is so helpless they can not get to DMV how do they manage to get to the polls to ever register?

Good News.

Supreme Court rules Texas can enforce voter ID law TheHill

By a 6-3 vote in a rare Saturday morning order, the majority of justices rejected emergency appeals from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in order to cast ballots in the state.
Yeah. Now we can eradicate all of that rampant voter fraud that has been going on --- done only by Democrats of course --- that you are unable to prove.

This is the real reason why you nutters want voter ID laws in place. At least this man didn't dance around it, he came right out and said it. I respect him for at least being honest.

The PA supreme court wouldn't allow it, and we all know how well Romney made out in PA.

ID cards arnt suppression but voter fraud is. People know an election is coming up, they have plenty of time to go out and get an Id card. What can the possible excuse be ?

Good News.

By a 6-3 vote in a rare Saturday morning order, the majority of justices rejected emergency appeals from the Justice Department and civil rights groups to prohibit requiring voters to produce certain forms of photo identification in order to cast ballots in the state.

TX will be red forever. I don't believe Dems could carry a single state, not even NY or CA, if they require Voter ID

Good News.

TX will be red forever. I don't believe Dems could carry a single state, not even NY or CA, if they require Voter ID
Delusional as usual.

Just in case anybody thinks I'm being overly partisan. It is my opinion that if illegal aliens, felons and dead people tended to vote Republican then I'm sure the GOP would be attacking I.D. laws while the DNC would be insisting that getting rid of voter ID laws is racist because black votes are being cancelled out by illegal votes. I don't think either party is above a bit of larceny. No matter the party, common sense should always prevail.

Agreed, and my question is can I take my neighbors utility bill to the polls, tell them that it is mine and vote?

Maybe as long as your neighbor hasn't been there yet. Not sure how they do the provisional ballots since I have sacrificed and actually obtained a driver's license before I drive myself to the polls. People get all wrapped up in President and Congress but forget that fraud also includes voting in the wrong place. It could make you illegally voting in local elections.

Maybe as long as your neighbor hasn't been there yet. Not sure how they do the provisional ballots since I have sacrificed and actually obtained a driver's license before I drive myself to the polls. People get all wrapped up in President and Congress but forget that fraud also includes voting in the wrong place. It could make you illegally voting in local elections.

In my state, if you show up at the wrong place you are not on the list of registered voters, the poll worker looks it up and tells you where you are registered.

In my state, if you show up at the wrong place you are not on the list of registered voters, the poll worker looks it up and tells you where you are registered.

Perhaps you missed the point. If you move and do not vote where you are supposed to, then you are violating the law by voting where you used to. In Virginia, cities and counties are independent of each other for instance. If you move across the line and keep voting where you used to, then you are in completely the wrong jurisdiction and are illegally voting. There are also some places where wards matter within the jurisdiction. If you are voting for a Ward 1 representative (where you used to live and are registered to vote) but reside now in Ward 2, then you are illegally voting in Ward 1. My city has prosecuted a few people that I know of for voting in the city when they no longer live in it.

that is how it works here as well

This is off topic, but I read somewhere that the Wisconsin voter ID law was rejected by the Supreme Court because it was stated that 300,000 or 9% of the people in Wisconsin did not have a picture ID.
How would they get to the polls to vote? They can't drive without a drivers license. None of these 300,000 could possibly have a bank account, a credit card or fly on an airplane, and can you get food stamps and welfare without ID?

I was raised in Wisconsin graduated from High School and attended the University of Wisconsin. I had a farm permit to drive when I was 15 a drivers license at 16 and have a lot of relatives that still live there. I find it difficult to accept that 300,000 number.

Most of these studies are a simple comparison of voter roles to DMV records. They don't know if the people have other forms of ID. They just use the metric that gives them the biggest number of allegedly disenfranchised people they can that people will believe. Many won't read past the headline and the first couple paragraphs, let alone question the methodology of the number

Forum List

Back