Scottish independence

More chatter in the British press today about a referendum in England. It wouldn't throw Scotland out of the union; just prohibit Scot MPs (members of parliament) from voting on issues that would pertain only to residents of the southern part of the island, known as "England".

More chatter in the British press today about a referendum in England. It wouldn't throw Scotland out of the union; just prohibit Scot MPs (members of parliament) from voting on issues that would pertain only to residents of the southern part of the island, known as "England".
Bad idea, hard on the heels of promises to Scotland, for more powers.

This is something probably best left until the Devolution issue is resolved for Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, simultaneously.

Not a referendum but an actual change in the political climate in the UK. As Cameron says why should England be left out when it comes to having a parliament of their own. So he is enacting a law to change the way politics is done in the UK and barring welsh, irish and scots from having any say in the running of England. There is also moves to have it that the voting public can sack their M.P. and force a by election if they don't represent the electorate. This will stop party politics and have a return to representation of the people

I haven't heard anything about a referendum in England, but Cameron did promise more local powers for England. Here's MEP Daniel Hannan's column from yesterday on the subject.
Now we can give real power to English voters by DANIEL HANNAN Daily Mail Online

England having its own parliament is a one step in the right direction. More importantly though, once the dust settles in, David Cameron has to implement all the devolution promises he made to Scotland during the campaign. This is important or else grudges will start to settle in.

I haven't heard anything about a referendum in England, but Cameron did promise more local powers for England. Here's MEP Daniel Hannan's column from yesterday on the subject.

England having its own parliament is a one step in the right direction. More importantly though, once the dust settles in, David Cameron has to implement all the devolution promises he made to Scotland during the campaign. This is important or else grudges will start to settle in.

Scots do NOT bear grudges.

They cherish them!

Do you even know what the devolution promises were, and how they would affect the Scots. Far too many people are not looking at the facts and just at what the scots are expecting to get. Like the ability to raise their own taxes, but they will lose the same amount from the common purse. The ability to spend the money on what they want, as long as it does not exceed the budget. This means they can raise taxes themselves but the English, Welsh and Irish will not bankroll their plans, so leaving them with the headache of balancing the books and keeping the Scots people happy.

Today Salmond has emerged from his funk and is talking darkly about alternative routes to Scottish independence. Meeting at mid-week with ISIS? Probably not but if he reads this board he may just have been inspired.

That would make the No folks want to change their votes.

I think there ought to be another referendum to remove the word welsh from English language at least within the UK. I think it is bigoted.

It was promised, it's got to be delivered, and anyone who welshes on that will pay a very heavy price for years to come.

Scotland Devolution Pledge Non-Negotiable

Why it is a recognised word in the Oxford dictionary, and the promises made were open ended so the Scots should have realised that

I think there ought to be another referendum to remove the word welsh from English language at least within the UK. I think it is bigoted.

It was promised, it's got to be delivered, and anyone who welshes on that will pay a very heavy price for years to come.

Why it is a recognised word in the Oxford dictionary, and the promises made were open ended so the Scots should have realised that

It seems like you are saying that Scottish folks got sucker punched.

It seems like you are saying that Scottish folks got sucker punched.

If they could not see what was in front of them then they deserve all they get

Forum List

Back