Scott Walker suggested it’s more dangerous to be a cop today. It’s actually much safer.

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
Don't let facts get in the way scotty.
On the conservative blog Hot Air, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker mourned the recent tragic killings of police officers in Illinois and Texas, writing, "This isn't the America I grew up in or that I want my children to grow up in. When the very people responsible for keeping us safe are targeted because they are law enforcement officials, we have a serious problem."

Walker, who's running for president, gets this half right. As Washington Post writerRadley Balko pointed out, this is a different America for police than the one Walker grew up in — it's an America where it's much safer to be a cop, and police are much less likely to die on duty.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund reported that on-duty police fatalities in 2014 totaled 117, up from a historic low of 107 in 2013 but down nearly 60 percent from a peak of 280 in 1974 (when Walker was growing up).

The trend seems to be holding this year. The Officer Down Memorial Page, which tracks police officer deaths, estimates that there have been 83 line-of-duty deaths among police this year — down 2 percent from the same time period in 2014. Gunfire deaths in particular are at 24, down 20 percent from the same time period last year.
Scott Walker suggested it’s more dangerous to be a cop today. It’s actually much safer.

150904-scott-walker-blames-obama-for-disturbing-trend.jpg

On the conservative blog Hot Air, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker mourned the recent tragic killings of police officers in Illinois and Texas, writing, "This isn't the America I grew up in or that I want my children to grow up in. When the very people responsible for keeping us safe are targeted because they are law enforcement officials, we have a serious problem."

Walker, who's running for president, gets this half right. As Washington Post writerRadley Balko pointed out, this is a different America for police than the one Walker grew up in — it's an America where it's much safer to be a cop, and police are much less likely to die on duty.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund reported that on-duty police fatalities in 2014 totaled 117, up from a historic low of 107 in 2013 but down nearly 60 percent from a peak of 280 in 1974 (when Walker was growing up).

The trend seems to be holding this year. The Officer Down Memorial Page, which tracks police officer deaths, estimates that there have been 83 line-of-duty deaths among police this year — down 2 percent from the same time period in 2014. Gunfire deaths in particular are at 24, down 20 percent from the same time period last year.

That should be a real comfort to the families of those officers recently killed....

That should be a real comfort to the families of those officers recently killed....

How about the families of victims who have been unjustly killed by police officer and got away with it scot-free?

So it's justified to murder a police officer in cold blood because of the actions of another....

We're sorry you feel that way.

What everyone else was saying is that it's deliberately dishonest to claim cop deaths are increasing, and that it's sleazy as hell to use such a dishonest claim for political gain.

How about the families of victims who have been unjustly killed by police officer and got away with it scot-free?

Your not-so-clever insertion of the term "unjustly" is usually an excuse for Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Unfortunately, the police don't have the luxury of ignoring a life-threatening situation until all of the facts have been investigated. The vast majority of these encounters involve actual or wanna be criminals. Thuggish behavior invites a more assertive response than cooperation, in case you haven't noticed.

Your not-so-clever insertion of the term "unjustly" is usually an excuse for Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Unfortunately, the police don't have the luxury of ignoring a life-threatening situation until all of the facts have been investigated. The vast majority of these encounters involve actual or wanna be criminals. Thuggish behavior invites a more assertive response than cooperation, in case you haven't noticed.

Tell that to Kelly Thomas's family.

Death of Kelly Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back