Scorchio !!!

I can't find the date on this but really it is the aftermath. For now our Temperatures are back to normal though we could do with rain, particularly in England.

'It's like a warzone': Residents show devastating aftermath after 41 homes were destroyed in London wildfires on 'busiest day for firefighters since WW2' - amid warnings of MORE blazes today​

Extremely dry ground and searing temperatures created the perfect 'tinderbox' conditions for blazes to break out across the country with major incidents declared in London, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, South Yorkshire and Leicestershire. Scotland and Wales also saw fires.

A wildfire operations expert last night claimed that the severity of yesterday's fires was 'rare or possibly unprecedented', but said due to climate change they were likely to happen 'more and more' in the future.

As firefighters battled numerous blazes, parts of the UK saw some relief from the blazing heat last night with showers and thunderstorms, particularly in the north of England and south of Scotland.

The Met Office is warning of potential flooding with a yellow warning for thunderstorms in place for London and parts of the south east later today.

Amid the scramble to evacuate in Wennington, one woman said her uncle was trapped – and was 'digging a trench' around his house to thwart the flames. Police later rescued him.

With its Norman church, Wennington features in the Domesday Book, and it seemed an apt description last night amid the smouldering ruins of charred homes. Local councillor Susan Ospreay had been 'devastated'.
he inferno appears to have been sparked by a burning compost heap around 1pm in parched grassland adjacent to Wennington fire station – which meant firefighters were immediately on the scene.

But they fought in vain to stop it rapidly spreading on to tinder dry scrubland and incinerating back gardens. As homes were gutted, residents said they could hear the sound of panicked horses whinnying in a surrounding field.

The heartbreaking village blaze was the most dramatic example of how the country was struggling to cope as the mercury reached unprecedented levels. One resident described the wrecked village as looking like 'a scene from the Blitz'.

I would not want to be the person whose compass started this all - the fires that is,

I can't find the date on this but really it is the aftermath. For now our Temperatures are back to normal though we could do with rain, particularly in England.

I would not want to be the person whose compass started this all - the fires that is,
This happens every year up here but generally houses dont get burned down. The irony is that because it is in Lonon they may start taking it seriously.

One night I was in London and they cancelled all trains. For about an inch of snow. It was like Dunkirk. Its only serious if it affects London.

Well Bob if you were academically gifted ,or even applied yourself in school, you would have a better job with better working conditions.

Hey, Tommy — What do you do for a living? From what lofty profession do you look down on me for being an honest construction worker? What do you do for a living, that makes you so much better than I?

Some rain today. Not much. Apparently we are due for floods over the next few weeks as the climate crisis changes tack.

Forum List

Back