Scientists Defend $682,570 Taxpayer Funded 'Shrimp On A Treadmill'...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Dec 29, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHh-C84mCSY]Scientists Defend $682,570 Taxpayer Funded 'Shrimp On A Treadmill'.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Lovebears65

Lovebears65 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,043
    Outrageous, There are so many other things our tax dollars could have went too..

3. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Yea the study was ridiculous but if they had to do it,couldn't they have done it at a much lower cost?

4. Dutch

Dutch Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Scientists want money to develop a thing called GPS. We don't need that we already have maps.

Money for a thing called the internet. It will never lead to anything.:eusa_whistle:

If thats the attitude you guys have we might be looking at another Dark Ages.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Not quite the same now is it?

6. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,749
    I think studying shrimp on a treadmill is a huge waste of taxpayer's money. However, shrimp on a trampoline might be a worthwhile study.

7. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    now if they want to study girls on trampolines, I'm all for it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTc5oUKS6xg]two cute girls jumping on a trampoline - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0sMBDgOYw]YouTube Girls on Trampolines - YouTube[/ame]

8. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I've commented before on this forum that cns news seems dedicated to propaganda at the expense of information. In this clip, which purports to show scientists defending their research, no actual arguments defending their research are shown, presumably because such arguments would probably prove effective. The clip of the scientist speaking begins with the word "hence", suggesting that her actual argument began earlier. A visual of a report flashes on the screen for a few seconds but cuts off before the part defending the report can appear.

The CNS report also grossly overstates the expense of the treadmills. The announcer references "hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars being spent in order to put shrimp on treadmills". In fact, the number appears to be about one hundred times lower ('Shrimp On A Treadmill' And The Politics Of 'Silly' Science Studies : NPR) with the bulk of the money allocated to the study going to other things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I could see the legit reasoning for such a study... I don't so much understand the cost, but then I am not in the field of science where things that likely cost mainstream $5.00 are sometimes necessarily multiplied for whatever miscellaneous reasons.

Scientists put shrimp on a treadmill - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.com

A sluggish, sick human is easy to spot. But it's harder to tell when a shrimp is under the weather. So one scientist put the little crustaceans on a tiny treadmill to examine how diseases impact their performance.

Humans fighting an infection typically sleep more and are not at top physical performance. "The situation is much more critical for a sick marine crustacean, such as a shrimp, where a decrease in performance may mean the difference between life and death," said David Scholnick, a biologist from Pacific University.

The shrimp treadmill, invented and built by Scholnick, allows researchers to measure the activity of an exercising shrimp for a set period of time at known speed and oxygen levels.

"As far as I know this is the first time that shrimp have been exercised on a treadmill and it was amazing to see how well they performed," Scholnick told LiveScience. "Healthy shrimp ran and swam at treadmill speeds of up to 20 meters per minute [66 feet per minute] for hours with little indication of fatigue."

To further challenge the healthy shrimp, the researchers designed a small backpack made of duct tape to add extra load to the shrimp. With the extra weight and lowered oxygen, they were active for up to an hour.
    Sick shrimp, however, had reduced aerobic performance. They also had elevated blood lactate levels. Lactate is produced during exercise as a by-product of metabolizing glucose. Infected shrimp are unable to remove it from their tissues efficiently and therefore could not recover from exercise as well as healthy shrimp.

Shrimp dealing with an infection would be less active and might be limited in their ability to migrate, find food, and avoid being eaten, Scholnick said. "These studies will give us a better idea of how marine animals can perform in their native habitat when faced with increasing pathogens and immunological challenges."

Again, while it does make sense to me why this would matter, I'm wondering a bit why it doesn't matter to everyone... as it obviously would come to affect everyone, even those of 'us' who choose to not eat bottom-dwelling entities.

10. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,976
    Man,don't give em any ideas. Please.