Scientists Defend $682,570 Taxpayer Funded 'Shrimp On A Treadmill'...

Fucking stooge right wingers made me go look this up. What a bunch of dumb asses.

The treadmills were just a small part of it, a way to measure how shrimp respond to changes in water quality. Burnett says the first treadmill was built by a colleague from scraps and was basically free, and the second was fancier and cost about $1,000. The senator's report was misleading, says Burnett, "and it suggests that much money was spent on seeing how long a shrimp can run on a treadmill, which was totally out of context."

"They tried to say that about $9.4 million tax dollars was spent to study men's penis size," says Jeffrey Parsons of Hunter College in New York, referring to a study that was recently criticized by a group called the Traditional Values Coalition.

Parsons and his colleagues did publish a study on men's penis size and its link to the risk of sexually transmitted disease — but Parsons says no tax dollars were used to collect the data.

'Shrimp On A Treadmill' And The Politics Of 'Silly' Science Studies

-----------------------------------------------------------

I like the first post under that story:

Richard Dawkins is right, the current crop of republicans ARE proud of being ignoramuses. They are making America the punchline for a worldwide joke.

Republicans laugh at water quality until their kids start having two heads and three arms. They they scream, cry and rant that "scientists never told them". The fuckers.

What were they really studying?

Understand, when the media claims "Shrimp on a treadmill", the media is saying "The public is too lazy to really research the story so we can sensationalize it and make big bucks!!"

See, I am a perfect example of Media derision of the public!!

What were they really studying?

Understand, when the media claims "Shrimp on a treadmill", the media is saying "The public is too lazy to really research the story so we can sensationalize it and make big bucks!!"

See, I am a perfect example of Media derision of the public!!

Not all media.

If it goes unfunded by government.. and it is vital research... that can lead to huge breakthroughs... I am quite sure a company would take the risk to fund it...

Not true. What company funded Einstein? What company thought they could profit off of Einstein's theory of relativity before he came up with it? Zero. You understand very little of scientific research. Practically all of quantum physics came out of publicly funded research.

Pollution bad for sealife? Really? Who knew? These scientists are brilliant. Definitely worth all that Taxpayer cash. :(

At what point does pollution start to impact sea life? What are safe levels? We know you like to bitch about the nasty EPA and all their rules that make no sense. Wouldn't you like to know how much pollution shrimp can tolerate?

Pollution bad for sealife? Really? Who knew? These scientists are brilliant. Definitely worth all that Taxpayer cash. :(

At what point does pollution start to impact sea life? What are safe levels? We know you like to bitch about the nasty EPA and all their rules that make no sense. Wouldn't you like to know how much pollution shrimp can tolerate?

Yes pollution is bad for sealife. I've told people that for years. Now where's my $682,570?

Yes pollution is bad for sealife. I've told people that for years. Now where's my $682,570?

So you want the EPA to ban any level of pollution regardless of whether it impacts sea life or not? Good for you. save the $682,570 and ban anything affecting the estuaries, rivers and Gulf

So you want the EPA to ban any level of pollution regardless of whether it impacts sea life or not? Good for you. save the $682,570 and ban anything affecting the estuaries, rivers and Gulf

Wait,i'm doing my own scientific study...Ok,done. Yup,i've concluded pollution is bad for sealife. Now pay up.

Virginia-Tech-protest-April-9-2010.jpg

God Hates Shrimp

Deuteronomy 14:9-10 says:
9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

God Hates Shrimp

9 These ye shall eat of all that are in the waters: all that have fins and scales shall ye eat:
10 And whatsoever hath not fins and scales ye may not eat; it is unclean unto you.

I've always wondered if this particular dietary law came about because, in a time of no refrigeration, shellfish spoiled much faster than fin fish.

No lie.

Wait,i'm doing my own scientific study...Ok,done. Yup,i've concluded pollution is bad for sealife. Now pay up.

Bad in what way?

Those millions of dollars went to a government program to train scientists how to measure mens' penises.
They're always measuring from the taint and not the base. Stupid scientists.

I know Republicans think scientists are stupid. And they don't contribute anything to society. Education. It's so "dumb".
Do you check under your bed for Republicans before you go to sleep at night? If not, you should probably start.

God Hates Shrimp

I've always wondered if this particular dietary law came about because, in a time of no refrigeration, shellfish spoiled much faster than fin fish.

my theory is that someone in ancient times ate some of those or maybe their whole family did, and they had a shellfish allergy. Hilarity ensued, heads swelled up, and they were 3000 years away from the invention of Epinephrine.

And someone said, "Wow, God must be really angry we ate those!"

Forum List

Back