School Sued Over Muslim Teacher's Pilgrimage

So what? It isn't her fault that her religion has long pilgrimages. btw, Christmas break is factored into the school year to accommodate Christians and I don't here you crying about that.

I don't know what to tell you, this is a Christian majority country which is why the Christmas holidays are given days off. If you want to live in a place where they give you time off to make hajj, adjust your houses for Ramadan and give you days for Islamic holidays like Eid than maybe you need to move to an Islamic country.
It doesn't matter what religious majority we have. The constitution forbids favoring one religion over another. Suck on it.

You can suck my dick you arrogant piece of shit, by allowing Muslims to take a month off for Hajj you will have let all the other religions have their holidays off as well bitch.

Ignorance is your friend, you are beyond stupid.

What exactly is the school to do for 3 weeks while this teacher is gone? It is not a First Amendment problem. It is an unreasonable request. Further even the religion agrees. There is no requirement to make the pilgrimage and no set time limit if you chose to do so. She can wait 2 or so years till it falls during summer break.

By the way you fucking retard, the semesters occur when they do due to farming concerns in the summer not because of Christmas.
There is a reason substitutes exist. Teachers take time off all the time for personal reasons. I have two teachers in my family and they've never been denied leave for a personal request...family wedding, family birth, or just a week in LV. :cuckoo:

There may not be a requirement, I have no idea. But it is something Muslims feel compelled to do when they are able to afford it and when they are still living.

There's no farming over Christmas...:lol:. The schools could easily accommodate the farming season by eliminating the two weeks off at Christmas.

Epic fail.

More stupidity by you the 2 weeks is for Teachers ( whom work most of those days) to prepare for the new Semester. Fucking RETARD.
Bullshit they work to prepare for the new semester.

I don't know what to tell you, this is a Christian majority country which is why the Christmas holidays are given days off. If you want to live in a place where they give you time off to make hajj, adjust your houses for Ramadan and give you days for Islamic holidays like Eid than maybe you need to move to an Islamic country.
It doesn't matter what religious majority we have. The constitution forbids favoring one religion over another. Suck on it.

You can suck my dick you arrogant piece of shit, by allowing Muslims to take a month off for Hajj you will have let all the other religions have their holidays off as well bitch.
No reason to bring your fantasies into this. Other religions already have their holidays off.

Asswipe.

Ignorance is your friend, you are beyond stupid.

What exactly is the school to do for 3 weeks while this teacher is gone? It is not a First Amendment problem. It is an unreasonable request. Further even the religion agrees. There is no requirement to make the pilgrimage and no set time limit if you chose to do so. She can wait 2 or so years till it falls during summer break.

By the way you fucking retard, the semesters occur when they do due to farming concerns in the summer not because of Christmas.
There is a reason substitutes exist. Teachers take time off all the time for personal reasons. I have two teachers in my family and they've never been denied leave for a personal request...family wedding, family birth, or just a week in LV. :cuckoo:

There may not be a requirement, I have no idea. But it is something Muslims feel compelled to do when they are able to afford it and when they are still living.

There's no farming over Christmas...:lol:. The schools could easily accommodate the farming season by eliminating the two weeks off at Christmas.

Epic fail.

More stupidity by you the 2 weeks is for Teachers ( whom work most of those days) to prepare for the new Semester. Fucking RETARD.

O please. Schools close at the precise time they do to accommodate christian holidays. So do most businesses.

It doesn't suit you to play at being stupid, RGS.

No reason to bring your fantasies into this. Other religions already have their holidays off.

Asswipe.

What other religions get to take a month off from work you stupid ass cocksucker? you are the dumbest fucking piece of shit on this board.

Epic fail.

O please. Schools close at the precise time they do to accommodate christian holidays. So do most businesses.

It doesn't suit you to play at being stupid, RGS.
:lol: He's not playing at it.

(AP) The federal government sued a suburban Chicago school district Monday for denying a Muslim middle school teacher unpaid leave to make a pilgrimage to Mecca that is a central part of her religion.

In a civil rights case, the department said the school district in Berkeley, Ill., denied the request of Safoorah Khan on grounds that her requested leave was unrelated to her professional duties and was not set forth in the contract between the school district and the teachers union. In doing so the school district violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by failing to reasonably accommodate her religious practices, the government said.

The government asked the court to order the school district to adopt policies that reasonably accommodate its employees' religious practices and beliefs, and to reinstate Khan with back pay and also pay her compensatory damages.

School Sued Over Muslim Teacher's Pilgrimage - CBS News

Hmmm. Can anyone think of an unintended consequence of this decision?

Should all teachers be permitted to take a leave of absence during the middle of the school year, or just special ones?

NO, not unless emergency leave. I understand Eric Holder, DOJ is taking this case?? lol...:cuckoo: Sharia Law coming to a neighborhood near us?

(AP) The federal government sued a suburban Chicago school district Monday for denying a Muslim middle school teacher unpaid leave to make a pilgrimage to Mecca that is a central part of her religion.

In a civil rights case, the department said the school district in Berkeley, Ill., denied the request of Safoorah Khan on grounds that her requested leave was unrelated to her professional duties and was not set forth in the contract between the school district and the teachers union. In doing so the school district violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by failing to reasonably accommodate her religious practices, the government said.

The government asked the court to order the school district to adopt policies that reasonably accommodate its employees' religious practices and beliefs, and to reinstate Khan with back pay and also pay her compensatory damages.

Should all teachers be permitted to take a leave of absence during the middle of the school year, or just special ones?

NO, not unless emergency leave. I understand Eric Holder, DOJ is taking this case?? lol...:cuckoo: Sharia Law coming to a neighborhood near us?

Shariah Law will be in every US court within 10 years, bank on it.

Asswipe.

What other religions get to take a month off from work you stupid ass cocksucker? you are the dumbest fucking piece of shit on this board.

she is not asking for a month...get your facts straight

additional, teachers all over the country get 3 week or more leave if they are ill or some other emergency...her asking for a ONCE in a life time 3 weeks is not unreasonable

you are guys obviously don't know anyone who is a substitute teacher

If your job interferes with your religious activities then tough shit. If your religion is that important to you that you have to ask for special treatment then you shouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

Agree. Both the Berkeley school district and Lombard, (which I'll refer to in a minute), are in my back yard. If her religion is that important, she could be working at the Islamic school, not 5 minutes away from Berkeley. A bit of difference though I'm betting on pay scale. ;)

Let's call a spade a spade people.

The ONLY reason most of you side with the school on this is because the request was Islam based.

Sorry, but that's a pretty shitty reason. The request was not unreasonable.

According to the details of the case the teacher requested this around 2 years after being hired. She also requested a total of 3 weeks of unpaid leave, while the haij is only a week. Even adding 2 days for travel means 3 weeks is a bit much.

The requirement is also only 1 haij during ones lifetime, IF ONE CAN DO IT. The haij can only be done during a certain time, which happens to fall during the school year usually.

It really depends upon the contract the union has with the city. This is also different then asking for a day here and there. 3 weeks of a substitute teacher is a long time.

A little more than $1450 for that district for 3 weeks.

The ONLY reason most of you side with the school on this is because the request was Islam based.

I don't think so, mal. I'm fairly consistent in speaking out in favor of the rights of American Muslims, but this one seems to me to pit the students' needs against the teacher's religious desires, and sorry, I think the kids win.

It is possible to reason this through and decide the school is right without being a bigot.

Shariah Law will be in every US court within 10 years, bank on it.

Not unless the constitution is repealed, High Gravity. You foresee that happening?

According to the details of the case the teacher requested this around 2 years after being hired. She also requested a total of 3 weeks of unpaid leave, while the haij is only a week. Even adding 2 days for travel means 3 weeks is a bit much.

The requirement is also only 1 haij during ones lifetime, IF ONE CAN DO IT. The haij can only be done during a certain time, which happens to fall during the school year usually.

It really depends upon the contract the union has with the city. This is also different then asking for a day here and there. 3 weeks of a substitute teacher is a long time.

A little more than $1450 for that district for 3 weeks.

sans her pay the school is saving money

Sure it was'nt.... so the school district said no.

Nuff said IMO.... why is she suing?

Oh, I know... b/c it was all about getting the school to cave on the request, and if not $$$$$ cha ching!

Im personally SICK of mooslims that want special treatment.
Do you think I, as a christian would be able to ask for 3 weeks (nearly a month) off to go be a missionary in Mexico or somewhere with my church? Hell NO!!! would I get $$$$ for it in court??? Hell NO!!!

The way I see it, this is just another example of Islam being used as a weapon against our current way of life. Everybody gets to take 3 weeks off and their job just has to understand. :cuckoo: Give me a break... get a different job asswipe.

Forum List

Back