School Sued Over Muslim Teacher's Pilgrimage

According to the details of the case the teacher requested this around 2 years after being hired. She also requested a total of 3 weeks of unpaid leave, while the haij is only a week. Even adding 2 days for travel means 3 weeks is a bit much.

The requirement is also only 1 haij during ones lifetime, IF ONE CAN DO IT. The haij can only be done during a certain time, which happens to fall during the school year usually.

It really depends upon the contract the union has with the city. This is also different then asking for a day here and there. 3 weeks of a substitute teacher is a long time.

A little more than $1450 for that district for 3 weeks.

sans her pay the school is saving money

Why is it we are bending over backwards to see it the teachers way?

Why not just accept that the school district said NO? The teacher can find another job if thats not acceptable. Im sure Allah will provide a new job... its in the name of Islam right? :rolleyes:

NO, not unless emergency leave. I understand Eric Holder, DOJ is taking this case?? lol...:cuckoo: Sharia Law coming to a neighborhood near us?

Shariah Law will be in every US court within 10 years, bank on it.

Not unless the constitution is repealed, High Gravity. You foresee that happening?

Shariah law is in place in England for Muslims, why not here? everyone is so sensitive to their needs, we will have Shariah court in the US within the next decade.

According to the details of the case the teacher requested this around 2 years after being hired. She also requested a total of 3 weeks of unpaid leave, while the haij is only a week. Even adding 2 days for travel means 3 weeks is a bit much.

The requirement is also only 1 haij during ones lifetime, IF ONE CAN DO IT. The haij can only be done during a certain time, which happens to fall during the school year usually.

It really depends upon the contract the union has with the city. This is also different then asking for a day here and there. 3 weeks of a substitute teacher is a long time.

Oh, she didn't want to be paid while gone? Really? I didn't see that in the article. They are going to suspend her benefits too? If not, they are not saving money.

A teacher I worked with yesterday has been working for the district for 8 years. She is from Ethiopia, wanted to visit her dying grandmother over Christmas break. She asked in September for the 2.5 extra personal days, (she was leaving yesterday evening and worked only a.m.). It took them until 10/20 to ok the sub time, though she has to pay it herself-out of pocket. They paid for the 2 days she is entitled to.

Has nothing to do with religion, has everything to do with contracts, municipalities being very low on funds, and fairness to students and other staff.

Why is it we are bending over backwards to see it the teachers way?

Why not just accept that the school district said NO? The teacher can find another job if thats not acceptable. Im sure Allah will provide a new job... its in the name of Islam right? :rolleyes:

no one is bending over backwards...a point was made that this would cost the district money, it would not

the school is bound the civil rights act...so you can't just say, well, the school said so...doesn't work that way. further, as i have repeatedly pointed out, numerous teachers every year get 3 weeks or more leave if they have an illness, family emergency etc....i know 3 subs and a few teachers, this is not uncommon - and since she is asking for it unpaid...who cares, it doesn't cost the school anything and harms no one

Oh, she didn't want to be paid while gone? Really? I didn't see that in the article. They are going to suspend her benefits too? If not, they are not saving money.

A teacher I worked with yesterday has been working for the district for 8 years. She is from Ethiopia, wanted to visit her dying grandmother over Christmas break. She asked in September for the 2.5 extra personal days, (she was leaving yesterday evening and worked only a.m.). It took them until 10/20 to ok the sub time, though she has to pay it herself-out of pocket. They paid for the 2 days she is entitled to.

Has nothing to do with religion, has everything to do with contracts, municipalities being very low on funds, and fairness to students and other staff.

Maybe that teacher should just say she is Muslim, and than the school district would give her whatever she wants.

she asked for almost three weeks of unpaid leave to perform the Hajj.

you did miss it...i don't know about benefits, but pay alone, the school will save money or at least break even as i have no doubt she makes more than the sub....

do you deny that no other teacher has ever been given at least a 3 week leave...paid or unpaid.....?

I haven't read all 8 pages yet, but has anyone noted WHO is suing on her behalf? Not the ACLU. The FEDERAL govt. Maybe a lawyer can chime in and let us know how big of a precedent this will be if she wins.

And any teacher on here can attest to the fact that the students get a bit whacked out when a teacher is out one day. Three weeks? Good Lord. Write that time off. And prob. A few weeks after.

I haven't read all 8 pages yet, but has anyone noted WHO is suing on her behalf? Not the ACLU. The FEDERAL govt. Maybe a lawyer can chime in and let us know how big of a precedent this will be if she wins.

And any teacher on here can attest to the fact that the students get a bit whacked out when a teacher is out one day. Three weeks? Good Lord. Write that time off. And prob. A few weeks after.

I'm not a labor lawyer, chanel, but the fact that the federal government is suing on her behalf is just SOP I think, if she won at the EEOC. But otherwise, I agree with you. Missing work because you are ill is unavoidable; a once in a lifetime trip is not. This asks too much of the students.

Gawd.... please NO :eek:

Why not? if your going to let Muslims have special treatment for their beliefs, the nudists should get to come to work naked.

Have you seen most of the teachers?
Plus its always fat ugly Mo Fo's who like nudist colonies :lol:

Well you can't give special privileges to one group of people and accomodate their culture and blacklist everyone else, so the nudists should get to come to work naked.:clap2:

This concerns me too.... why on earth are the Feds messing with this?

They were'nt concerned with Black Panthers intimidating white voters.... why this? :eusa_eh:

you did miss it...i don't know about benefits, but pay alone, the school will save money or at least break even as i have no doubt she makes more than the sub....

do you deny that no other teacher has ever been given at least a 3 week leave...paid or unpaid.....?

In second year of teaching? No, other than for illness or care for sick immediate family member. You are an attorney, right? Could you afford that for an employee?

That district is k-5, I suppose we'll see how often they've given that level of time for 'pilgrimages' or religious time off-paid or unpaid. I do know that substitutes, no matter how qualified cannot take the place of the regular teacher. Sometimes necessary, but unless taking over for the year, it's still 'biding time.'

the doj has the authority to bring claims on behalf of the us government to enforce laws and acts...just like they sued AZ for example

i believe she also went through local levels first and then filed a complaint with the doj

Why not? if your going to let Muslims have special treatment for their beliefs, the nudists should get to come to work naked.

Well you can't give special privileges to one group of people and accomodate their culture and blacklist everyone else, so the nudists should get to come to work naked.:clap2:

LOL.

Postman Busted for Delivering Mail Naked - David Goodman says he was just trying to cheer up a woman on his route

In second year of teaching? No, other than for illness or care for sick immediate family member. You are an attorney, right? Could you afford that for an employee?

That district is k-5, I suppose we'll see how often they've given that level of time for 'pilgrimages' or religious time off-paid or unpaid. I do know that substitutes, no matter how qualified cannot take the place of the regular teacher. Sometimes necessary, but unless taking over for the year, it's still 'biding time.'

comparing my job to a district is apple/oranges...her year of teaching is irrelevent....and...as i showed you, it would not cost them anything...if i had an employee that needed 3 weeks off and i could get someone to come in with maybe a day catch up for the same pay, i would happily grant it, it costs me nothing

are you sure that no teacher in her second year has ever had a 3 week period off? and what difference does it make what year she is in? so if she had been there 10 years, you woudl support this :eusa_eh:

I do see your point, but I dont want to see naked teachers... at least not most of them.

Debra Lafave maybe.... :tongue:

Forum List

Back