School Defends Outting Allegedly Lesbian Teen

Two softball coaches at a Texas high school are being sued after allegedly confining a teenaged girl in a locked room, forcing her to confirm her sexual orientation, then outing her to her parents before ejecting her from the softball team.

The lawsuit states that the school district defended the actions by saying the teachers were "legally obligated" to inform the parents of the child's sexuality.

School outed teen to parents, said it was ‘legally obligated’: lawsuit | Raw Story

Please read the linked story; there are some disturbing facts. WTF "legal obligation" could there be?

Your thoughts?

Well, the school district better be heftily insured, because it is going to take it up its financial ass. The coaches will never work in a Texas high school after this school year, perhaps not after this month, now that is public.

How stupid!

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/12/kilgore_softball_lesbian.php

Last edited:
And People actually believe that there won't be problems in the military.......

surely you don't think we should pander to hatred?

Not at all, just pointing out the possible problems that may arise. This is a small sample. I hope everything works out for the good of this young lady and for the military.

there are growing pains in every circumstance.

my dad served in the military in the late 50's.... i have no doubt at least some of the people he served with had issues with the de-segregated military. i also assume there were people who weren't thrilled that they had to share a barracks with a jew.

i wonder if the guy who asked my dad where his horns were ever got up of his own volition. :eusa_whistle:

i don't know if it's nutty. i'm figuring they put everything they could think of into the complaint.

... same as the defendants will put every possible affirmative defense into their answer.

it all gets sorted out in the end.

but there's no question that the teachers violated her privacy, minimally. and if it wasn't true, then they slandered her, imo.

either way, this is no way to run a school.

Well then, perhaps the case should be heard by The International Court of Justice in The Hague, where the coaches could be tried for Human Rights Violations!!!!

so you don't like the lawsuit. i think i get that.

but how else should one deal with that type of abusive behavior on the part of a teacher?

Every School district has a very clearly regimented, published, list of proceedures to complain about school employees. Normally, meeting with the Principal and Teachers does the trick. Obviously, if there is a criminal complaint, then the parents contact the police (which was not mentioned in the article: there was no arrest, because there was no criminal act).

If the principal cannot placate the parents, then the district investigates a complaint (the form is also publically available)....eventually the parent can address the School Board with their complaint.

Two softball coaches at a Texas high school are being sued after allegedly confining a teenaged girl in a locked room, forcing her to confirm her sexual orientation, then outing her to her parents before ejecting her from the softball team.

The lawsuit states that the school district defended the actions by saying the teachers were "legally obligated" to inform the parents of the child's sexuality.

School outed teen to parents, said it was ‘legally obligated’: lawsuit | Raw Story

Please read the linked story; there are some disturbing facts. WTF "legal obligation" could there be?

Your thoughts?

Well, the school district better be heftily insured, because it is going to take it up its financial ass. The coaches will never work in a Texas high school after this school year, perhaps not after this month, now that is public.

How stupid!

Lesbian Teen Sues Kilgore School District For Outing, Harassing Her - Houston News - Hair Balls

Um.....The district is not being sued.

I guess this mother thinks Softball Coaches have deep enough pockets to go after with "punative damages?"

Well then, perhaps the case should be heard by The International Court of Justice in The Hague, where the coaches could be tried for Human Rights Violations!!!!

but how else should one deal with that type of abusive behavior on the part of a teacher?

Every School district has a very clearly regimented, published, list of proceedures to complain about school employees. Normally, meeting with the Principal and Teachers does the trick. Obviously, if there is a criminal complaint, then the parents contact the police (which was not mentioned in the article: there was no arrest, because there was no criminal act).

If the principal cannot placate the parents, then the district investigates a complaint (the form is also publically available)....eventually the parent can address the School Board with their complaint.

i think those rules are in place for when normal issues arise.

i think this one goes above and beyond the lets have a sit-down phase. i'm thinking the school district wasn't sued because the lawyer determined they wouldn't have had knowledge of the circumstances nor should have had knowledge of the circumstances which could have given rise to liability.

i haven't read the complaint, so i don't have enough information to know if there may have been some other jurisdictional issues.

i think this one goes above and beyond the lets have a sit-down phase. i'm thinking the school district wasn't sued because the lawyer determined they wouldn't have had knowledge of the circumstances nor should have had knowledge of the circumstances which could have given rise to liability.

i haven't read the complaint, so i don't have enough information to know if there may have been some other jurisdictional issues.

Meh...the mother is related to a lawyer, or has she has more money than brains. Little Buffy (L.B.) will survive, but it will be a LOT harder for her to do so now that the entire issue has been blown out of proportion by a Hypersensitive Queer Community.

Meh...the mother is related to a lawyer, or has she has more money than brains. Little Buffy (L.B.) will survive, but it will be a LOT harder for her to do so now that the entire issue has been blown out of proportion by a Hypersensitive Queer Community.

i think you're minimizing what they did to the girl.

i think you're minimizing what they did to the girl.

Coaches said mean things!!

:boohoo:

:rolleyes:

I feel bad for the girl for having to go through this, but I'm glad that they decided to sue. The win will set an excellent precedent.

Interesting. You do realize that she was 'outed' to her PARENTS. Why is that such a problem with anyone here?
Because parents are the last people one would want to be outed to. Strangers come before parents. FRIENDS come before parents. Teenagers have to live with their parents. If the parents react rashly, that outing could put a kid on the street.

If even half the allegations in the complaint are true, there are some very serious problems here for the school. False imprisonment, threats, intimidation...
Yeah I don't think too many picked up on the fact that they LOCKED HER IN A ROOM AGAINST HER WILL.

And People actually believe that there won't be problems in the military.......
Would you like me to kick your ass on this topic AGAIN? The existence of bigotry should not be dealt with by looking the other way or avoiding it. It should be exterminated, not tolerated.

Coaches said mean things!!

:boohoo:

:rolleyes:
Did you fail to notice the part where they held a young teenage girl in a locked room against her will? You do realize that's illegal in this country, don't you?

If even half the allegations in the complaint are true, there are some very serious problems here for the school. False imprisonment, threats, intimidation...over a teenage girl maybe spreading or passing on a rumor? Please. What teenage girl doesn't gossip? They're drama addicts at that age and anybody dealing with them needs to know how to handle it.

Outing her to parents that may or may not have been understanding using a "confession" obtained under those circumstances is not something the school is legally obligated to do in any way. This is horrifying.
Correct - THIS the part of the story that is the problem. Why on earth is the fact the school told the parents she is in a lesbian relationship being hailed as the big problem. Let me ask the board this: would it be just as bad if the school informed the parents she was giving blow jobs to the football team behind the bleachers or would that information be okay to tell the parents??

I am sick and tired of the bullshit of 'protecting' teens privacy from their parents. If you don't know, parents are parents FOR A REASON. There are very few situations where a parent should be left out of the picture on purpose.
Ah can I suggest to you one girl who just because she loved her hair became a victim of her father and brother killing her?

By her father and her brother? How well did that guidance go for that young lady?

Yes the terror at the thought....

No hijab = death.

Ya, thats an excellent analogy........
:eusa_wall:

Aye carumba I am a moron!!!!

I didn't include the link so you could read about the story. My apologies.

All I was trying to say was that there are some family situations where one prays a father or a brother don't find out what you are doing or not doing.

Each situation has to be judged on its own.

But my sincerest apologies because the post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever without the link. Bad Ass needed his run and I didn't include it in my hurry to get him outside for his whizz and dump.

yours,

td

Here is the story. Now you will see that a parent's right to know can sometimes be lethal to the child.

Aqsa’s friends claim the teen's reluctance to wear a hijab and her attempts to pull away from her relatives’ traditional values was a great source of tension in the family. She'd moved out of her parents home and was attempting to find a part-time job just before she was killed.

Friends also claimed Aqsa lived in fear of her father and brother and worried they’d follow her to class and discover she’d removed the hijab she had put on before leaving the house and then changed into Western-style clothes once she arrived at her high school, Applewood Heights S.S.

"Every single time, we'd get off the school bus she would always want me to walk her halfway home because she was paranoid her dad or brother would follow her home," Aqsa’s friend Ashley Garbutt said shortly after the crime.

"She used to walk the rest of the way home. I stopped for a little while and after, I kept continuing because I understood it was a serious matter."

Family friction and violence over Aqsa's refusal to wear a hijab prompted her to leave the home and stay at a friend’s place. The entire family moved to Canada from Pakistan in 2001.

Father & Brother Of Murdered Teen Aqsa Parvez Plead Guilty - CityNews
No, don't worry. The link and story mean nothing as I understood what you were saying and the truth or fiction of the event mean nothing. We do not structure society around the single incident of nut jobs nor should we hurt the VAST majority of people simply for fear that one may die. If we were to do that, all of society would look like the TSA and there are none too many people that can stomach that scenario!!

The fact is that the parents have a JOB to do and they cannot accomplish that job while the entire world attempt to hinder it. When did we forget the value and importance of good parenting? When did we decide that a parent should no longer be intimately involved in their Childs life. WAKE UP people. The reactionary responses at the beginning of the thread are scarring me and showing where this country is so seriously faltering: family values. You think that just MAYBE realizing you are gay or lesbian is a major event in your life? That just MAYBE the love and guidance of your parents can have a MASSIVE impact on what your future relationships are like?

Correct - THIS the part of the story that is the problem. Why on earth is the fact the school told the parents she is in a lesbian relationship being hailed as the big problem. Let me ask the board this: would it be just as bad if the school informed the parents she was giving blow jobs to the football team behind the bleachers or would that information be okay to tell the parents??

I am sick and tired of the bullshit of 'protecting' teens privacy from their parents. If you don't know, parents are parents FOR A REASON. There are very few situations where a parent should be left out of the picture on purpose.

Yes, the reason "parents are parents" is because they figured out how to have unprotected sex. This is not really a profound credential for being in that role, let alone being a GOOD parent. When it comes to issues with sex or psychology, parents are always left out of the picture unless their children deem otherwise. Minors can be treated for STDs and receive contraception and prenatal care without their parents' consent in most states. It is protected information. If you want to talk about REASON, think about the reason behind that.

I feel bad for the girl for having to go through this, but I'm glad that they decided to sue. The win will set an excellent precedent.

Interesting. You do realize that she was 'outed' to her PARENTS. Why is that such a problem with anyone here?
Because parents are the last people one would want to be outed to. Strangers come before parents. FRIENDS come before parents. Teenagers have to live with their parents. If the parents react rashly, that outing could put a kid on the street.

Yup, parents should be keep in the dark on EVERYTHING. It's not as though they actually have to raise children, provide guidance or anything like that. Parents exist for rent and food. Hell, we should prevent ALL communication between parents and children, THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR.
:rofl:

I'm fairly confident the school district did not "out" the girl, but the coaches are idiots, and may have told the mother her daughter was gay, regardless of the fact.

The article says the district is not being sued:

The lawsuit names Fletcher and Newell as defendants, as well as assistant athletic director Douglas Duke. It seeks unspecified punitive damages for privacy violations and 4th Amendment violations relating to SW's confinement in the locker room.
Kilgore Independent School District is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/22/CivRts.pdf

Forum List

Back