School Defends Outting Allegedly Lesbian Teen

If even half the allegations in the complaint are true, there are some very serious problems here for the school. False imprisonment, threats, intimidation...over a teenage girl maybe spreading or passing on a rumor? Please. What teenage girl doesn't gossip? They're drama addicts at that age and anybody dealing with them needs to know how to handle it.

Outing her to parents that may or may not have been understanding using a "confession" obtained under those circumstances is not something the school is legally obligated to do in any way. This is horrifying.
Correct - THIS the part of the story that is the problem. Why on earth is the fact the school told the parents she is in a lesbian relationship being hailed as the big problem. Let me ask the board this: would it be just as bad if the school informed the parents she was giving blow jobs to the football team behind the bleachers or would that information be okay to tell the parents??

I am sick and tired of the bullshit of 'protecting' teens privacy from their parents. If you don't know, parents are parents FOR A REASON. There are very few situations where a parent should be left out of the picture on purpose.

I find it fascinating that you immediately equate a teenage girl "dating" another teenage girl with a teenage girl caught servicing the entire football team on school property. Do you seriously believe just because she was in a homosexual relationship at the time that she was engaging in that kind of behavior? Or are you just under the impression that all teenagers who are "dating" are out having promiscuous sex that parents must be concerned about?

The circumstances are appalling here. The way this girl was treated out of pure spite was abusive. But not everything a teenager is wrestling with at that point in their lives is fodder for the grownup wars or should be communicated to anyone they aren't comfortable with talking to on their own. And yes, absent behavior that is a problem that includes a teenager wrestling with the question of sexuality. There should be no privacy when it comes to problem behavior, but when it comes to intensely personal emotional issues? I disagree. Even a child needs a certain level of privacy inside their own head.

Every School district has a very clearly regimented, published, list of proceedures to complain about school employees. Normally, meeting with the Principal and Teachers does the trick. Obviously, if there is a criminal complaint, then the parents contact the police (which was not mentioned in the article: there was no arrest, because there was no criminal act).

If the principal cannot placate the parents, then the district investigates a complaint (the form is also publically available)....eventually the parent can address the School Board with their complaint.

i think those rules are in place for when normal issues arise.

i think this one goes above and beyond the lets have a sit-down phase. i'm thinking the school district wasn't sued because the lawyer determined they wouldn't have had knowledge of the circumstances nor should have had knowledge of the circumstances which could have given rise to liability.

i haven't read the complaint, so i don't have enough information to know if there may have been some other jurisdictional issues.

Meh...the mother is related to a lawyer, or has she has more money than brains. Little Buffy (L.B.) will survive, but it will be a LOT harder for her to do so now that the entire issue has been blown out of proportion by a Hypersensitive Queer Community.

you know, thanks to the person who linked the complaint, i was able to go back and see why the district wasn't sued.

well, the fact is that the district WAS sued. And it appears that they didn't go through the administrative procedures is because they apparently didn't tell them what those procedures were until it was too late to complain... at which point their petition was dismissed as time-barred based on the statute of limitations.

apparently, when the teacher called the girl's mother, she gave the mother the cell phone number for the girlfriend.

there's far more operating here than you'd like to acknowledge, i think. and that's what courts are for, to sort it all out.

i think those rules are in place for when normal issues arise.

i think this one goes above and beyond the lets have a sit-down phase. i'm thinking the school district wasn't sued because the lawyer determined they wouldn't have had knowledge of the circumstances nor should have had knowledge of the circumstances which could have given rise to liability.

i haven't read the complaint, so i don't have enough information to know if there may have been some other jurisdictional issues.

Meh...the mother is related to a lawyer, or has she has more money than brains. Little Buffy (L.B.) will survive, but it will be a LOT harder for her to do so now that the entire issue has been blown out of proportion by a Hypersensitive Queer Community.

you know, thanks to the person who linked the complaint, i was able to go back and see why the district wasn't sued.

well, the fact is that the district WAS sued. And it appears that they didn't go through the administrative procedures is because they apparently didn't tell them what those procedures were until it was too late to complain... at which point their petition was dismissed as time-barred based on the statute of limitations.

apparently, when the teacher called the girl's mother, she gave the mother the cell phone number for the girlfriend.

there's far more operating here than you'd like to acknowledge, i think. and that's what courts are for, to sort it all out.

The District didn't tell them about the admin procedures?

They are published.

However, there is no statute of limitations for lodging a complaint with a school district (although to effect a resolution it probably should be done before the student graduates). Anyone can present a complaint to the school board at anytime if they have exausted the admittedly often Byzantine Rules of Procedure.

No one should be "outed". That is a personal decision.

But as a side note: many companies are now offering special protections and benefits for gay employees and customers. Is it appropriate to ask?

Schools won't be far behind.

I'm fairly confident the school district did not "out" the girl, but the coaches are idiots, and may have told the mother her daughter was gay, regardless of the fact.

The article says the district is not being sued:

The lawsuit names Fletcher and Newell as defendants, as well as assistant athletic director Douglas Duke. It seeks unspecified punitive damages for privacy violations and 4th Amendment violations relating to SW's confinement in the locker room.
Kilgore Independent School District is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/22/CivRts.pdf

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks so much for this link, which is infinitely better than the OP article.

Indeed KISD IS named in the suit, which also details the mother's complaint to the HS Principal (which apparently was too late), the District Superintendent (which he heard), and the Board of Trustees (which they heard BUT SEEM TO HAVE LOST THE MINUTES!!!), and claims that all of these offered no satisfaction to her complaint.

It appears that Newell remains the Head Softball coach at KHS.

Fletcher is not the assistant coach KISD Athletics Center

I found Douglas Duke still listed among KISD Administrators on the "Lady Bulldog's" 2010 Game Schedule. Oddly, there is no 2011 schedule

***I might add, that "Lady Bulldog" is somewhat of a euphamism.***

The astonishing loss of documentation that the Legal Complaint mentions leads me to believe that indeed KISD might be run by baffoons.

However, I'm not sure what the mother expected?

If the district immediately punished the teacher and student, then what would prevent any disgruntled student athlete their mother from conjuring up accusations of being "outed?"

At any rate it should be a fascinating case.

Last edited:
No one should be "outed". That is a personal decision.

But as a side note: many companies are now offering special protections and benefits for gay employees and customers. Is it appropriate to ask?

Schools won't be far behind.

i agree with your first sentence.

but before i would respond to your question, i'd have to ask what companies and what special "protections and benefits"?

They are published.

However, there is no statute of limitations for lodging a complaint with a school district (although to effect a resolution it probably should be done before the student graduates). Anyone can present a complaint to the school board at anytime if they have exausted the admittedly often Byzantine Rules of Procedure.

i would wager that, as with most administrative procedures, there is a provision requiring that they provide the person with a copy of the procedures. a violation of such a requirement could toll the statute of limitations and make it inappropriate for the case to be dismissed on that basis.

apparently, what they wanted from the school was for the girl to continue playing softball without the coach/assistant coach in question because she wanted to go to college and play, presumably on a scholarship.

in any event, the court will have a lot of options initially, including remanding the matter to the district for a full hearing before they intervene.

They are published.

i would wager that, as with most administrative procedures, there is a provision requiring that they provide the person with a copy of the procedures. a violation of such a requirement could toll the statute of limitations and make it inappropriate for the case to be dismissed on that basis.

apparently, what they wanted from the school was for the girl to continue playing softball without the coach/assistant coach in question because she wanted to go to college and play, presumably on a scholarship.

in any event, the court will have a lot of options initially, including remanding the matter to the district for a full hearing before they intervene.

No, the mom filed what was called in the complaint a "Level 1" with the principal, which who bumped it to the Superintendent, a "Level 2." Then it went to DEFCON 3, the Board of Trustees, and now it's reached DEFCON 4.

Apparently, at DEFCON 5 the Mother Nukes KISD.

Yup, parents should be keep in the dark on EVERYTHING.
Try not to be such a drama queen.

Try to not be so asinine!!!
I would have thought you would have picked up on the hint with just that one line, but if you'd like me to expand on WHY you're a drama queen, here it is.

You stated "parents should be keep in the dark on EVERYTHING." This is not "everything." This is one personal issue which does NOT need to be addressed in any way, shape, or form by a parent. If you disagree, you need only show how a parent would respond to it. "Don't be a lesbian!" ? That's ridiculous. Parents SHOULD be informed about certain things regarding their children, but this isn't one of them. Sex, sexuality, and psychology are all protected issues with minors, and this topic falls squarely in all of them.

So when you respond to this ONE issue that IS and SHOULD BE protected for minors with this over-dramatic and exaggerated insinuation that EEEEEEEVERYTHING is kept from parents, you look ridiculous. Goldcatt also pointed this out. So calm down, address the actual issue, and stop being a drama queen. I'd offer you to elaborate on why you think I'm being "asinine," but I already know it was another hollow immature lashing out.

Last edited:
Privatize the schools, another example of not being able to leave your kids with government union workers.

In private schools you can choose to not have homosexuals teach your child on a personal level.

Still, public employees get away with molestation and statutory rape too often, more so if they are woman.

The only solution is to take sentencing away from judges, maybe a real tough law like life in prison with no parole, seems fair, if your such a big pervert you have to rape school kids, teenage or younger, maybe that should be the death sentence.

Anyone willing to break a law with such a stiff penalty is a true pervert thus if they take the actions that directly results in their death, seems like suicide more than murder.

So make the teachers understand, priests as well, life in prison, no less, most likely though it should be the death penalty.

Privatize the schools, another example of not being able to leave your kids with government union workers.

In private schools you can choose to not have homosexuals teach your child on a personal level.

Still, public employees get away with molestation and statutory rape too often, more so if they are woman.

The only solution is to take sentencing away from judges, maybe a real tough law like life in prison with no parole, seems fair, if your such a big pervert you have to rape school kids, teenage or younger, maybe that should be the death sentence.

Anyone willing to break a law with such a stiff penalty is a true pervert thus if they take the actions that directly results in their death, seems like suicide more than murder.

So make the teachers understand, priests as well, life in prison, no less, most likely though it should be the death penalty.

You have private schools for all that.

Move on.

As if nobody was ever abused in a private school.

Jesus H. Christ, the reasoning around here some days........

Yes, the reasoning, poor people cannot afford to chose the school their children attend, they deserve the same protection if not more, yet you state its okay their children are raped because someone "may of been" abused in a private school.

Please tell me you did not state your opinion clearly.

They are published.

No, the mom filed what was called in the complaint a "Level 1" with the principal, which who bumped it to the Superintendent, a "Level 2." Then it went to DEFCON 3, the Board of Trustees, and now it's reached DEFCON 4.

Apparently, at DEFCON 5 the Mother Nukes KISD.

i know, the girl should just go on, not play ball and pretend she wasn't victimized. :thup:

eh... not so much.

Yes, the reasoning, poor people cannot afford to chose the school their children attend, they deserve the same protection if not more, yet you state its okay their children are raped
What you're saying is a bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure NO ONE is okay their children are raped. NO ONE.

Yes, the reasoning, poor people cannot afford to chose the school their children attend, they deserve the same protection if not more, yet you state its okay their children are raped
What you're saying is a bit confusing, but I'm pretty sure NO ONE is okay their children are raped. NO ONE.

Then why did you cut the relevant part out. My post sitting here all by itself is confusing, thanks. Here let me try your post with a cherry pick and see how it reads.

I'm pretty sure

Gee your pretty sure, and I am to trust you that children are not to be raped.

See how that works, your not pretty confusing, so you agree with the original post I responded to, thats why you left that part out, correct.

You taking one portion, a cherry pick, why did you leave this part out, this is the part people seemed to take offense to, are you of the same mind thus your defending the public schools where rape does occur. This is what I said about rape in public schools.

Then why did you cut the relevant part out. My post sitting here all by itself is confusing, thanks. Here let me try your post with a cherry pick and see how it reads.

I'm pretty sure

Gee your pretty sure, and I am to trust you that children are not to be raped.

See how that works, your not pretty confusing, so you agree with the original post I responded to, thats why you left that part out, correct.

What are you babbling about?

mdn2000 complains about what he does regularly: "You taking one portion, a cherry pick, why did you leave this part out, this is the part people seemed to take offense to, are you of the same mind thus your defending the public schools where rape does occur. This is what I said about rape in public schools."

Bub, rape occurs in private schools as well. What the heck is wrong with your head?

Forum List

Back