School Defends Outting Allegedly Lesbian Teen

Having played softball, kicking a girl off the team for being a lesbian seems weird to me.

I honestly doubt that was why she was dropped.

My daughter plays as well, and I swear some of those girls could kick my ass :eek:

Lesbian.... so what..... can she mash a ball? Thats waht matters to the coach.
Unless, the coach is..... well, I will leave the off color remarks out, but you can fill in your own blanks.

Yes, the horror of your parents knowing what you are doing and being there to guide you. The terror at the thought...

Ah can I suggest to you one girl who just because she loved her hair became a victim of her father and brother killing her?

By her father and her brother? How well did that guidance go for that young lady?

Yes the terror at the thought....

No hijab = death.

Ya, thats an excellent analogy........
:eusa_wall:

Aye carumba I am a moron!!!!

I didn't include the link so you could read about the story. My apologies.

All I was trying to say was that there are some family situations where one prays a father or a brother don't find out what you are doing or not doing.

Each situation has to be judged on its own.

But my sincerest apologies because the post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever without the link. Bad Ass needed his run and I didn't include it in my hurry to get him outside for his whizz and dump.

yours,

td

Here is the story. Now you will see that a parent's right to know can sometimes be lethal to the child.

Aqsa’s friends claim the teen's reluctance to wear a hijab and her attempts to pull away from her relatives’ traditional values was a great source of tension in the family. She'd moved out of her parents home and was attempting to find a part-time job just before she was killed.

Friends also claimed Aqsa lived in fear of her father and brother and worried they’d follow her to class and discover she’d removed the hijab she had put on before leaving the house and then changed into Western-style clothes once she arrived at her high school, Applewood Heights S.S.

"Every single time, we'd get off the school bus she would always want me to walk her halfway home because she was paranoid her dad or brother would follow her home," Aqsa’s friend Ashley Garbutt said shortly after the crime.

"She used to walk the rest of the way home. I stopped for a little while and after, I kept continuing because I understood it was a serious matter."

Family friction and violence over Aqsa's refusal to wear a hijab prompted her to leave the home and stay at a friend’s place. The entire family moved to Canada from Pakistan in 2001.

Father & Brother Of Murdered Teen Aqsa Parvez Plead Guilty - CityNews

If even half the allegations in the complaint are true, there are some very serious problems here for the school. False imprisonment, threats, intimidation...over a teenage girl maybe spreading or passing on a rumor? Please. What teenage girl doesn't gossip? They're drama addicts at that age and anybody dealing with them needs to know how to handle it.

Outing her to parents that may or may not have been understanding using a "confession" obtained under those circumstances is not something the school is legally obligated to do in any way. This is horrifying.

This is something totally different. We are not talking psycho parents. We are talking psycho teachers.

actually, they don't know if her parents were psycho or not. they just outed her.

it wasn't their place to out her. it was up to her to decide when and if she was ready to come out.

i think THAT is the point.

That, and the fact that grown adults working at a school dealing with teenage girls would intimidate her this way out of what looks like pure spite over normal teenage behavior. Questions of sexual misconduct aside, people with skin that thin and who cannot control their tempers have no business working with teenagers.

This is something totally different. We are not talking psycho parents. We are talking psycho teachers.

actually, they don't know if her parents were psycho or not. they just outed her.

it wasn't their place to out her. it was up to her to decide when and if she was ready to come out.

i think THAT is the point.

That, and the fact that grown adults working at a school dealing with teenage girls would intimidate her this way out of what looks like pure spite over normal teenage behavior. Questions of sexual misconduct aside, people with skin that thin and who cannot control their tempers have no business working with teenagers.

dead on right.

Interesting. You do realize that she was 'outed' to her PARENTS. Why is that such a problem with anyone here? Is it a bad thing that the parents know of a secret relationship? I am not saying they should have done so but I am saying I cannot see why the big deal or the reason for a full blown lawsuit. It stinks of bullshit to me. The story even states that the family is ok with being publicaly identified. THAT screams of pining for attention and money. If they were so concerned about privacy they would not want to be publically known. It seems to me that there should be FAR more worry about dealing with this publically than dealing with her parents.

Are you serious?

Face7yc.jpg

Maya Jeane Marcel-Keyes (born May 23, 1985) is an American social and political activist and daughter of Alan Keyes, a candidate for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

The death of a close friend, a young man named Shymmer, presaged Marcel-Keyes' entry into the public eye. Shymmer had been kicked out of his house at age 16 after revealing his sexual orientation to his parents, thereby forcing him to survive on the streets. After over three years living without a home, and facing many of the problems LGBT youth face while homeless — rape, beatings, prostitution — Shymmer died of starvation brought about by a severe case of anorexia nervosa [2] after a Washington, D.C. hospital refused to provide him an IV drip.

Marcel-Keyes wrote in her online journal that her parents had given her two weeks to move out of the apartment, and had effectively left her "jobless and ... homeless."

Keyes was awarded the Wanda Alston Scholarship through The Point Foundation, a charity based in San Francisco, California

In June 2005, Keyes became a member of the board of directors of the National Youth Advocacy Coalition. This organization works on behalf of LGBT youth and families throughout the United States.

On December 7, 2005, Keyes received the Emery Award, presented by the Hetrick-Martin Institute for outstanding work on behalf of homeless LGBT youth.

Wapedia - Wiki: Maya Keyes

There are approximately 1.6 million to 2.8 million homeless young people in the United States, and estimates suggest that disproportionate numbers of those youth are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. These vulnerable gay and transgender youth often run away from home because of family conflict and then face overt discrimination when seeking alternative housing, which is compounded by institutionalized discrimination in federally funded programs.

Gay and Transgender Youth Homelessness by the Numbers

Many of those voting against gay equality don't even know they have gay family members.

I once pointed out that if you have a brother, sister, son or daughter who lives in a distant city, refuses to let anyone visit, or if they do, doesn't introduce them to any friends, never brings anyone home, never discusses their private lives, is not married and shies away from any "personal" questions, there is a good possibility that person is gay. Man, the number of right wingers who went nutz. It was crazy.

Did I understand the story correctly that one of the female Coaches was dating that girl? If true the coach should be fired just for that.

My reading of the story is, the coach and her coworker confronted the victim and accused her of spreading a rumor that the coach was dating a student, a girl. This seems to have been what fueled the woman's anger -- understandable -- but that anger seems to have clouded her judgment very badly.

I'm not sure if any of the females in this story are lesbians, but you're right....allegations of teacher on student sexual contact (if there actually are any) should be investigated criminally.

The whole thing sounds like a dramafest on steroids to me.

I agree.

What a bunch of Whoey.

I'm fairly confident the school district did not "out" the girl, but the coaches are idiots, and may have told the mother her daughter was gay, regardless of the fact.

The article says the district is not being sued:

The lawsuit names Fletcher and Newell as defendants, as well as assistant athletic director Douglas Duke. It seeks unspecified punitive damages for privacy violations and 4th Amendment violations relating to SW's confinement in the locker room.

I guess if I called rdean a queer, and he wanted to claim that I'd "violated his privacy," then he could name me in a lawsuit.

Furthermore, while the teachers clearly should be repremanded, dragging out the 4th Amendment to use seems a tad nutty.

Having played softball, kicking a girl off the team for being a lesbian seems weird to me.

My daughter plays as well, and I swear some of those girls could kick my ass :eek:

Unless, the coach is..... well, I will leave the off color remarks out, but you can fill in your own blanks.

They would have to drop a lot of girls.

I remember breaking a girls hand my freshman year, she was very manly, and a catcher. I was a little scared for awhile. I saw her when I was twenty one making out in the bathroom with a girl. :lol:

They would have to drop a lot of girls.

I remember breaking a girls hand my freshman year, she was very manly, and a catcher. I was a little scared for awhile. I saw her when I was twenty one making out in the bathroom with a girl. :lol:

Breaking her hand? You must have had a "fast" ball. Who was the "manly" one?

Did I understand the story correctly that one of the female Coaches was dating that girl? If true the coach should be fired just for that.

My reading of the story is, the coach and her coworker confronted the victim and accused her of spreading a rumor that the coach was dating a student, a girl. This seems to have been what fueled the woman's anger -- understandable -- but that anger seems to have clouded her judgment very badly.

I'm not sure if any of the females in this story are lesbians, but you're right....allegations of teacher on student sexual contact (if there actually are any) should be investigated criminally.

I agree.

What a bunch of Whoey.

I'm fairly confident the school district did not "out" the girl, but the coaches are idiots, and may have told the mother her daughter was gay, regardless of the fact.

The lawsuit names Fletcher and Newell as defendants, as well as assistant athletic director Douglas Duke. It seeks unspecified punitive damages for privacy violations and 4th Amendment violations relating to SW's confinement in the locker room.

I guess if I called rdean a queer, and he wanted to claim that I'd "violated his privacy," then he could name me in a lawsuit.

Furthermore, while the teachers clearly should be repremanded, dragging out the 4th Amendment to use seems a tad nutty.

i don't know if it's nutty. i'm figuring they put everything they could think of into the complaint.

... same as the defendants will put every possible affirmative defense into their answer.

it all gets sorted out in the end.

but there's no question that the teachers violated her privacy, minimally. and if it wasn't true, then they slandered her, imo.

either way, this is no way to run a school.

I agree.

What a bunch of Whoey.

i don't know if it's nutty. i'm figuring they put everything they could think of into the complaint.

... same as the defendants will put every possible affirmative defense into their answer.

but there's no question that the teachers violated her privacy, minimally. and if it wasn't true, then they slandered her, imo.

Well then, perhaps the case should be heard by The International Court of Justice in The Hague, where the coaches could be tried for Human Rights Violations!!!!

And People actually believe that there won't be problems in the military.......

surely you don't think we should pander to hatred?

Not at all, just pointing out the possible problems that may arise. This is a small sample. I hope everything works out for the good of this young lady and for the military.

Sarge, please don't even HINT that Queerness won't be seemlessly integrated into the military or you will be accused of not approving of deviant lifestyles, and "PANDERING TO HATRED!!!!"

In fact, just so everyone knows for a fact that I do not "PANDER TO HATRED," I'm hoping that every Battalion will be assigned at least two MOS: "Arranger, Floral" and one Staff Sargent assigned to interior decorating duties.

I agree.

What a bunch of Whoey.

Well then, perhaps the case should be heard by The International Court of Justice in The Hague, where the coaches could be tried for Human Rights Violations!!!!

so you don't like the lawsuit. i think i get that.

but how else should one deal with that type of abusive behavior on the part of a teacher?

Forum List

Back