Schmidt: Gay Marriage Now A Conservative Cause

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Schmidt: Gay Marriage Now a Conservative Cause | FrumForum

August 31st, 2010 at 3:28 pm FRUMFORUM NEWS | 74 Comments |
Former McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt tells Sam Stein of the Huffington Post why gay marriage is now a conservative cause:

“There is a strong conservative case to be made in favor of gay marriage,” former McCain campaign manager and fellow same-sex marriage fundraiser Steve Schmidt told the Huffington Post on Tuesday. “Marriage is an institution that strengthens and stabilizes society. It is an institution that has the capacity to bring profound joy and happiness to people and it is a matter of equality and keeping faith of one of the charters of the nation, the right to live your life. <more>

Former McCain campaign manager Steve Schmidt tells Sam Stein of the Huffington Post why gay marriage is now a conservative cause:

“There is a strong conservative case to be made in favor of gay marriage,” former McCain campaign manager and fellow same-sex marriage fundraiser Steve Schmidt told the Huffington Post on Tuesday. “Marriage is an institution that strengthens and stabilizes society. It is an institution that has the capacity to bring profound joy and happiness to people and it is a matter of equality and keeping faith of one of the charters of the nation, the right to live your life. <more>

I agree. Support for gay marriage is actually a conservative opinion. The government should not legislate morality and we should not outsource morality to the government.

I agree. Support for gay marriage is actually a conservative opinion. The government should not legislate morality and we should not outsource morality to the government.

I don't see how it can be called conservative. I'd say libertarian. It seems popular to label it that way because of those who are conservative fiscally, but liberal/libertarian socially. That doesn't make it a conservative opinion, as any long-time social conservative would tell you.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I don't see how it can be called conservative. I'd say libertarian. It seems popular to label it that way because of those who are conservative fiscally, but liberal/libertarian socially. That doesn't make it a conservative opinion, as any long-time social conservative would tell you.

any long time social conservative knows less than nothing about actual conservatism.

I wouldn't say that, rather there are two conservatisms, fiscal and social, and many don't subscribe to both.

If that's true, I'm no longer a conservative. But then, I've never really cared what I label myself.

I don't see how empowering government to control and legitimize homosexual behavior and relationships is a good thing.

If anything, government should stay out of it.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Gays are becoming more conservative because they want to settle down get married and raise a nice family.

I've seen this coming. It's ironic. Lol.

Indeed.

Well we can certainly disagree civilly. I see this as a moral issue and I don't think using the force of government in moral issues is conservative. It's just social engineering with a different agenda in my opinion.

If that's true, I'm no longer a conservative. But then, I've never really cared what I label myself.

I don't see how empowering government to control and legitimize homosexual behavior and relationships is a good thing.

If anything, government should stay out of it.

I see it the opposite way, I see the movement to define marriage as one man and one woman as government controlling and delegitimizing other family households. In a perfect world, I agree that the government should stay out of it. Let marriage be a personal and faith institution and only involve the government as it pertains to defining a household of mutual benefit and responsibility.

Last edited:

Well we can certainly disagree civilly. I see this as a moral issue and I don't think using the force of government in moral issues is conservative. It's just social engineering with a different agenda in my opinion.

Then you seem to be redefining conservative, because moral issues like this have been the bedrock of conservative thought as far back as I can remember. I think this more a case of some wanting to consider themselves libertarian/conservative, but not liking the connotation of that self-labelling. In that case define yourself differently, because you're defining conservative incorrectly.

This is hilarious.

Just seeing the words, "Gay Marriage" and "Conservative Cause" in the same sentence is enough to make one erupt into gales of laughter.

First of all, the word "homosexual" has "sex" right in the middle of it. And second, as soon as you say the word, you start thinking about another guy's thingy.

'scuse me, I had to take a break and stop laughing.

Conservatives accepting anything gay? That's about as likely as Rudy Giuliani or George Bush in drag.

This is hilarious.

Just seeing the words, "Gay Marriage" and "Conservative Cause" in the same sentence is enough to make one erupt into gales of laughter.

First of all, the word "homosexual" has "sex" right in the middle of it. And second, as soon as you say the word, you start thinking about another guy's thingy.

Conservatives accepting anything gay? That's about as likely as Rudy Giuliani or George Bush in drag.

Couldn't find Bush in drag. How about a soul kiss? :tongue:

http://andrewcg.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/bush_kiss-761118.jpg

http://intoxination.net/files/giuliani_in_drag2.jpg

Uh Oh! Heads will explode over this.

My oldest son, who is homosexual, absolutely destroyed me in an argument in under 15 seconds.

He said, "I have every right to property and happiness that anyone else has in America, all that stands in the way is the religious background of the majority of Americans, particularly Judeo-Christians. I don't subscribe to those religions, why shouldn't I have the same rights as everyone else?"

My reply: I started some muttering about states rights then I realized that he's right, I had no argument.

The only thing "wrong" with homosexuality was that we had the Roman Catholic Church control our civilization for 1,500 years and most of it was called, not surprisingly, the "Dark Ages".

I consider myself a conservative and I fully support gay marriage. If they want the pain and misery that their hetrosexual counterparts feels, let them bring on the PAIN!! :clap2:

This is hilarious.

Um...psst....Barry Goldwater.

Forum List

Back