‘Scandalous’ Solyndra Program Actually Earned Taxpayers A $5 Billion Profit

The government is projecting a pay out, it hasn't come to any fruition yet, genius.

Great point! Thanks for making it. It changes everything!

Yes, it makes all the difference in the world, Genius. Now, go about your lame ass trolling....

Of course! The program will pay for itself. It just hasn't yet. You've blown away the OP's premise! You are awesome!

Yes, the government does an excellent job forecasting payouts and intakes over ten years in the making. They get it, uh, wrong every time! But this time will be different, right, troll?

I'm sure you can provide scores of examples of "the government" forecasting future payouts that never happened. And you can't find one that was accurate, you are so awesome!

Trolly troll is trolling along the troll trail.

Yes, it makes all the difference in the world, Genius. Now, go about your lame ass trolling....

Of course! The program will pay for itself. It just hasn't yet. You've blown away the OP's premise! You are awesome!

Yes, the government does an excellent job forecasting payouts and intakes over ten years in the making. They get it, uh, wrong every time! But this time will be different, right, troll?

I'm sure you can provide scores of examples of "the government" forecasting future payouts that never happened. And you can't find one that was accurate, you are so awesome!

Trolly troll is trolling along the troll trail.

not the brightest one either

"Expected". A very large word that never seems to work out the way the government thinks it will. Show me a single government program that came in on time and on budget. Go ahead, I dare you.

so exactly what was the timeframe and budget for Solyndra .. it came in time to make money ... shame that huh?

Solyndra LOST over 500 million, plus it cost its employees huge dollars as well when it folded, not to mention the broken hearts of those who thought they had a job that would last for more than a year. Solyndra is a case of outright fraud so I wouldn't even begin to try and hang my hat on that one silly person.

thinkprogress

enough said

now you why the left is so ill informed

^^^^ couldn't remember if it was "know" or "no" ^^^^

The program paid for itself....meaning that it didn't cost you anything. It didn't raise your taxes and it didn't increase the deficit or add to the debt.

Simple.

The government is projecting a pay out, it hasn't come to any fruition yet, genius.

The program hasn't paid for itself, nor can it in the next GENERATION. They are expecting it to pay for itself in 32 years. So.... tell the class when has the government EVER accomplished anything that it said it would on time and on budget. It's a simple question and one that you should have no problem answering.

Just look at any State or municipal pension plan

Well, the democrats in congress and the President made it clear that our insurance premiums would decrease by as much as 2500 per household.
The republicans along with basic logic said "no way"....but the democrats said "the republicans are lying. Premiums will definitely decrease"....thus the name The Affordable Care Act...

They were wrong with THAT projection.

and think about it...with THAT projection, they had nearly 50% of congress showing them how they were wrong....but they STILL claimed it to be true.

Do some research...... back in the early 1900's when the government decided it would be more cost effective to start its own steel plant to build tanks, ships, etc

Read up on it.

In the end, the plant came in well over budget and the cost to produce usable refined steel ended up being twice as costly for the government than it was to buy it from private industry.

Go ahead....research it.

The Republican gripes about Obama all fall flat on their faces. He beats them every single time.
4i6Ckte.gif

The Republican gripes about Obama all fall flat on their faces. He beats them every single time.
4i6Ckte.gif

First off, I'm not a Repub, secondly I care for this country. Clearly you don't or you would ignore the propaganda and actually research the shit you post. Instead you continue to spew shit and our country suffers accordingly.

4i6Ckte.gif

First off, I'm not a Repub, secondly I care for this country. Clearly you don't or you would ignore the propaganda and actually research the shit you post. Instead you continue to spew shit and our country suffers accordingly.
I don't see the country suffering for any of Obama's actions.

I do see the country being out $24 Billion because of Ted Cruz' reckless actions in shutting down the government.

When do we get that back?

The long Republican nightmare continues!
4i6Ckte.gif

The much-maligned government program that funded the failed solar tech company Solyndra is expected to make taxpayers a $5 to $6 billion return, Bloomberg Businessweek reported on Wednesday.

The loan program is run out of the Department of Energy (DOE), and covers a large umbrella of investments to encourage green energy and low-carbon technologies. According to Businessweek, the expected positive returns on those investments are detailed in a new report DOE will be releasing, perhaps as early as Thursday, on the loan program’s performance — the first such estimate the agency has made of the fruits of its efforts.

The program has the authority to spend as much as $40 billion, and has allocated $32.4 billion of that to a portfolio with dozens of specific projects. Half of the $32.4 billion has already been paid out, in loans that average a 22-year lifecycle. The Energy Department expects the full $5 to $6 billion return to come in over that total time period. But $3.5 billion of the principal for those loans has already been paid back by the various companies that received them, and the government has already garnered over $810 million in interest payments. The portfolio’s losses only amount to $780 million so far, and they aren’t expected to rise above $2 billion once everything is said and done — a fraction of the $10 billion in losses the government anticipated when it originally designed the program.

This stands in stark contrast to the image critics painted of the program. In 2011, the solar tech company Solyndra collapsed after receiving $528 million from the program, setting off a political feeding frenzy and embarrassing the White House.

In the 2012 presidential campaign, Republican candidate Mitt Romney said he thought “about half” the businesses the program invested in had gone out of business. On Tuesday, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) declared that “most of these companies are bankrupt and are no longer in existence, and the taxpayer is left holding the bag.” In point of fact, as of November 2012 only three companies out of several dozen had folded, though a few others were facing financial difficulties. That number has ticked up one more to four failures since. Investigations into the loan program have found no evidence of political manipulation or wrongdoing.
Genius....If Solyndra earned a profit, why did the firm go out of business?
Christ. You libs will say anything to save Obama's hide.

"Expected". A very large word that never seems to work out the way the government thinks it will. Show me a single government program that came in on time and on budget. Go ahead, I dare you.
As long as it makes a profit, who cares?

so exactly what was the timeframe and budget for Solyndra .. it came in time to make money ... shame that huh?
The fucking thing went out of business. Closed. Done. Jobs lost. Finit.........Crashed and burned

4i6Ckte.gif

I do see the country being out $24 Billion because of Ted Cruz' reckless actions in shutting down the government.

Now you're just spewing nonsense.

According to a report by the Department of Energy, interest payments to the government from projects funded by the Loan Programs Office were $810 million as of September - higher than the $780 million in losses from loans it sustained from startups including Fisker Automotive, Abound Solar and Solyndra, which went bankrupt after receiving large government loans intended to help them bring their advanced green technologies to market.

4i6Ckte.gif

The much-maligned government program that funded the failed solar tech company Solyndra is expected to make taxpayers a $5 to $6 billion return, Bloomberg Businessweek reported on Wednesday.

The loan program is run out of the Department of Energy (DOE), and covers a large umbrella of investments to encourage green energy and low-carbon technologies. According to Businessweek, the expected positive returns on those investments are detailed in a new report DOE will be releasing, perhaps as early as Thursday, on the loan program’s performance — the first such estimate the agency has made of the fruits of its efforts.

The program has the authority to spend as much as $40 billion, and has allocated $32.4 billion of that to a portfolio with dozens of specific projects. Half of the $32.4 billion has already been paid out, in loans that average a 22-year lifecycle. The Energy Department expects the full $5 to $6 billion return to come in over that total time period. But $3.5 billion of the principal for those loans has already been paid back by the various companies that received them, and the government has already garnered over $810 million in interest payments. The portfolio’s losses only amount to $780 million so far, and they aren’t expected to rise above $2 billion once everything is said and done — a fraction of the $10 billion in losses the government anticipated when it originally designed the program.

This stands in stark contrast to the image critics painted of the program. In 2011, the solar tech company Solyndra collapsed after receiving $528 million from the program, setting off a political feeding frenzy and embarrassing the White House.

In the 2012 presidential campaign, Republican candidate Mitt Romney said he thought “about half” the businesses the program invested in had gone out of business. On Tuesday, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) declared that “most of these companies are bankrupt and are no longer in existence, and the taxpayer is left holding the bag.” In point of fact, as of November 2012 only three companies out of several dozen had folded, though a few others were facing financial difficulties. That number has ticked up one more to four failures since. Investigations into the loan program have found no evidence of political manipulation or wrongdoing.
Solyndra got caught up in Chinese dumping of solar panels. We're talking about the whole alternative energy program it was a part of. Jeebus dupes are thick...

4i6Ckte.gif

Really? What exactly happened when the government shut down? Where is that money supposedly missing from? Be specific.

4i6Ckte.gif

Solyndra got caught up in Chinese dumping of solar panels. We're talking about the whole alternative energy program it was a part of. Jeebus dupes are thick...

The Bush admin when they were looking at securing the loans for Solyndra looked at that and determined that Solyndras tech wasn't sufficiently advanced to warrant the investment. NO ONE with a brain would have funded them. That's why they couldn't get any more cash from the IB's and venture capitalists, they were a loser and everyone KNEW IT.

Forum List

Back