Saudi Arabia - Rape Victim Sentenced to 200 Lashes

She was pardoned, that means you are determined guilty of no crime, that means you are not punished for the crime the pardon is granted with respect to.

What do you think of the original sentence ?? For example, what do you think of the fact that they hand out lashes to rape victims ??

Last edited:
In a special report, the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation channel covered the case in a show widely anticipated by many Saudi audiences.[14] The show aired a live debate between al-Lahem and Ministry of Justice consultant and former judge Abdul-Mohsen Al-Obaikan.[15] The victim’s husband participated via phone. The husband defended his wife in a surprising showing of open-mindedness for a man from this part of the world, where rape victims and their families are almost always silent. He explained: "I'm not lacking in manhood or an Arab man's honor for defending a so-called 'cheating wife'," then added, "I feel that in this catastrophe she exercised bad judgment by meeting this man, but how can you [Al-Obaikan] or anyone say she committed adultery?"[16] In other interviews he showed further support of his wife and said that "she shocked him when she insisted on pursuing justice although she is facing a harsh penalty." He also expressed his worries over her deteriorating physical and mental health. By late November 2007, she was under effective house arrest and forbidden to speak at the risk of being taken into custody at any time. Her family's movements were being monitored by the religious police and their telephones were tapped.[17]

Royal pardon[edit]

On December 17, 2007, Saudi newspapers reported that King Abdullah had issued a pardon for the girl, citing his ultimate authority as monarch to overrule "discretionary" punishments (punishments not expressly prescribed by Islamic legal canon) in accordance with the public good. However, he maintained that the pardon did not reflect any lack of confidence in the Saudi justice system or the initial verdicts, and in fact the King trusted "that the verdicts are just and fair."[18] Although the pardon was good news for the girl from Qatif, human rights activists voiced concern that it was not a practical solution to the problem, as "the pardon means that she did something wrong and was kindly pardoned later." They called for reform of the law and clear legislation that differentiates between rape and adultery, as there are many similar cases which do not receive such international exposure and not every victim will get a royal pardon afterward

Qatif rape case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so? is sherri apologizing for her lawyerly lie in which she claimed
that the girl's criminal record was "wiped clean' by the silly little sham
"pardon" ?

The U.S.*State Department*- "The State Department voiced "astonishment" at the sentence, but stopped short of calling for it to be changed".[21]

Qatif rape case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Her Pardon was no thanks to the US State Dept.

And this is unconscienable, that our government gives her allies, like Saudi Arabia, free reign to commit human rights abuses.

Ok Sherri, but what do you think of the sentence itself before the pardon? How do you feel about the government handing out 200 lashes to a rape VICTIM?

The crime the woman was charged with was not rape. AND by Western standards, the sentence appears harsh and inappropriate to her set of circumstances. But from a standpoint of intl law, offhand I do not know what laws are violated. SOVEREIGN nations prescribe laws of what acts are lawful and unlawful. This is not an issue of discrimination. So, it is a problem more to do with womens rights and very much this is an internal struggle women must wage in each nation. OUTSIDERS can urge reform and the intl spotlight on cases can help improve matters for women in these societies.

Once slavery was lawful in the US. Did other nations have a right to stop the practice? No. Once, segregation was lawful, Did other nations have the right to stop the practice ? No

Womens rights evolved in the US, in the same WAY.

Last edited:
The crime the woman was charged with was not rape. AND by Western standards, the sentence appears harsh and inappropriate to her set of circumstances. But from a standpoint of intl law, offhand I do not know what laws are violated. SOVEREIGN nations prescribe laws of what acts are lawful and unlawful. This is not an issue of discrimination. So, it is a problem more to do with womens rights and very much this is an internal struggle women must wage in each nation. OUTSIDERS can urge reform and the intl spotlight on cases can help improve matters for women in these societies.

I know that wasn't her crime. THIS was her crime:

The court also sentenced the two victims to six months in prison and 90 lashes each for "being alone with a man who is not a relative" in a parked car.

You don't see anything wrong with the idiotic charges to begin with against the woman, let alone her original sentence ????

I know that wasn't her crime. THIS was her crime:

The court also sentenced the two victims to six months in prison and 90 lashes each for "being alone with a man who is not a relative" in a parked car.

You don't see anything wrong with the idiotic charges to begin with against the woman, let alone her original sentence ????

Toastie----sherri makes a very important point upon which her creed depends ----
LEGALITY Strictly speaking her colleague and hero ADOLF ABU ALI and his henchmen
did not violate any laws -----they were OBEYING THE LAW The OTTOMAN TURKS
did not violate any laws when they enacted the Armenian Genocide----they were
SHARIAH ADHERENT Should a christian touch a koran in Pakistan---HE HAS VIOLATED
A LAW and his execution is , therefore LEGAL

Today---the fact that christian children remain enslaved in Khartoum ---is not a violation of
law either.

The very interesting legal dilemma that Musharraf faced in Pakistan was what to do with
the throat slitters of Daniel Pearl According to Shariah law they were in violation of
no law. In fact they videoed the throat slitting in order to PROVE THEIR
INNOCENCE in a shariah court. If Daniel had not said "I AM A JEW" and instead
mumbled the islamic "SHAHADA" his throat would have been safe.
Poor Musharraf was stuck-----but he overcame---Musharraf convened a
"BRITISH STYLE COURT" ----ie a court from the old days before
Pakistan was Pakistan in order to convict the throat slitters of murder------but the
sentence is still in trouble------the throat slitting was simply NOT ILLEGAL in Pakistan
as sherri has noted and last I heard the execution sentence was still being contested.
In islamic law a muslim cannot be executed for killing a jew

As to the eight year old who got pounded to death------same thing----not a crime.
A husband has absolute sex rights over his wife in islamic law -----read your koran.

Strictly speaking-----were Israel to annex Jerusalem and Hebron etc etc and declare
that muslims cannot be citizens of Israel-----it would be in its rights as a sovereign nation.
Israel also had a right to exclude all muslims from "holy cities" ----the holy cities for jews
are Jerusalem, Hebron, Safed and Tiberias

We are so lucky to have sherri to set things straight regarding INTERNATIONAL LAW

irosie, you are missing all the fun in the other thread. Here is Sherris latest post:

Land, part of which is called today Israel, has only been called Israel for 65 years. It has been called Palestine for 2400 years. My bets are Israel's days are numbered.

Saudi Arabia should be bombed out of existence. We're killing the wrong people. This Sunni shit should be exterminated. They are the real radicals that we support.

so, you hate the USA, Gays, and now you want to exterminate Sunnis and Saudi Arabia.

yikes!

Yes, we know you hate Israel too. Only losers have so much hatred in them.

I feel bad for anyone, like you, who has so much hate in them. It must suck to be Sunni Boy

True story :cool:

you need to end your obsession with personal attacks.

This thread is about a disgusting law in Saudi Arabia.

Yes, we know you hate Israel too. Only losers have so much hatred in them.

I feel bad for anyone, like you, who has so much hate in them. It must suck to be Sunni Boy

True story :cool:

you need to end your obsession with personal attacks.

This thread is about a disgusting law in Saudi Arabia.

it's not a personal attack. I'm just telling him the truth. Something he knows already and has even admitted. How is that an attack ?

XXXXXX you have made plenty of personal attacks, so please !

God, what is it with anti - Israelis and massive hypocrisy ?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not a personal attack. I'm just telling him the truth. Something he knows already and has even admitted. How is that an attack ?

you called him a "loser".

you said it must suck to be him.

those are personal attacks.

this thread is about Saudi Arabia's evil law, not Sunni Man or anyone else.

grow up.

So I guess when Sunni Boy starts making personal attacks, like he does quite frequently, you will tell him to stop , right?

Forum List

Back