Sarah Palin Ticketed For Speeding, Cracks A NASCAR Joke

From your link:

Neither of these viewpoints offers the observer much more than a glimpse of a vast, desolate expanse, however.
Read more at snopes.com: I Can See Russia from My House

Also:

Tuchman went up to the part of Alaska from which you can actually see Russia, a remote island called Little Diomede located just 2.4 miles from its Russian twin, Big Diomede.

It turns out Gary Tuchman's trip to Little Diomede sets him apart from Sarah Palin -- because she's never actually been there, nor has she set eyes on its neighbor in Russia.

CNN: Sarah Palin Has Never Seen Russia From Alaska

But that isn't what caused so much ado....it was the fact that Palin was trying to use the fact that Russia and Alaska are so close together that she has gained Foreign Policy knowledge from it....now that's what's funny.

So Palin was correct, you could see Russia from Alaska.

Whether she had been to the spot in question or not, was not the point. The fact is and still remains that she said, you could see Russia from Alaska, which is possible. Every Alaskan knows you can and it has been known for years. The fact that people that are ignorant of geography have no clue is irrelevant.

She never said she could see Russia from her home. That was Tina Fey.

The fact also remains that the Alaskan government works with the Russian goverment in making sure fishing vessels are not fishing in each others waters.

Also the Alaskan and federal government work with Russia in polar bear peservation. So there is talk between Alaska and Russa and room for diplomacy.

If you go to a remote island, and stand on a very tall building....yes...:lol::lol:

But, that doesn't give her foreign policy experience.....no way, no how.:D

The state of Alaska has a lot of diplomacy with Russia. In the fishing trade and in polar bear preservation. The points between the two countries are about 2 miles. You can see Russia, easily, you don't need much elevation to see the other country. You keep failing.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

CaféAuLait;9496720 said:
She said "you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska".....which is a pretty dumb thing to say considering it would be nearly impossible considering the width of the Bering Strait and the horizon's curvature.....but, oh well....you have to defend it, even if it is a dumb thing to say. So guess who is the dumbass?

Video with Palin saying it:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...=23&sigr=11aftaepj&sigt=11q3od1gi&age=0&&tt=b

People are asking me if it's possible to see Russia from Alaska. Well, the Bering Strait is over 50 miles (80 km) wide. The horizon is about 2.89 miles for a average person standing on the surface of the earth. However if one were stationed on a 100-foot tower, the horizon or farthest distance one could see before the curvature of the earth limits vision at the horizon is mere 12.25 miles. Thus, it is not possible to see Russia proper from Alaska across the Bering Strait. Wikipedia has more about the horizon.
Is It Possible to See Russia From Alaska?

You can see Russia from land in Alaska

snopes.com: I Can See Russia from My House

Check out Little Diomede Island (Alaska) in the Bearing Sea, a community is there and Big Diomede Island ( Russia) Palin. Visited Little Diomede while Govonor, I saw some documentary, it was before she was famous. The documentary was about the islands not Palin.

There are other points as well, from the bearing sea.

From your link:

Neither of these viewpoints offers the observer much more than a glimpse of a vast, desolate expanse, however.

Also:

Tuchman went up to the part of Alaska from which you can actually see Russia, a remote island called Little Diomede located just 2.4 miles from its Russian twin, Big Diomede.

It turns out Gary Tuchman's trip to Little Diomede sets him apart from Sarah Palin -- because she's never actually been there, nor has she set eyes on its neighbor in Russia.

But that isn't what caused so much ado....it was the fact that Palin was trying to use the fact that Russia and Alaska are so close together that she has gained Foreign Policy knowledge from it....now that's what's funny.

He asked her what insight she might have and below is how she started to answer. This was not her total answer, it continued. But people go back to Fey so much they forget and assign words and thoughts to Palin which were not there, there are examples in this thread, many of them in fact. Palin said:

They're our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska":

As far as seeing Russia, here you go:

Big Diomede Island is Russia, little Diomede Island is Alaska. They sit approx. 2 miles apart:

Diomede_Islands_Bering_Sea_Jul_2006.jpg

Big Diomede is on the right.

Here is a view of Russia (Big Diomede Island) from Alaska (little Diomede Island):

Bigdiomecropped.jpg

A pretty cool fact is the International Dateline Separate the two pieces of land, so there is a 23 hour difference when you travel from one island to the other.

Last edited:
From your link:

Also:

So Palin was correct, you could see Russia from Alaska.

Whether she had been to the spot in question or not, was not the point. The fact is and still remains that she said, you could see Russia from Alaska, which is possible. Every Alaskan knows you can and it has been known for years. The fact that people that are ignorant of geography have no clue is irrelevant.

She never said she could see Russia from her home. That was Tina Fey.

The fact also remains that the Alaskan government works with the Russian goverment in making sure fishing vessels are not fishing in each others waters.

Also the Alaskan and federal government work with Russia in polar bear peservation. So there is talk between Alaska and Russa and room for diplomacy.

If you go to a remote island, and stand on a very tall building....yes...:lol::lol:

diomede-coastline_4570.jpg

Alaska is in the foreground -Russia in the background.

OH >>>And being a community organizer [translated:Rabble rouser] Does -...... You're Special

Sarah Palin was allegedly caught speeding in Alaska last week, but she has an excuse that's sure to make many of her NASCAR-loving fans smile.

"I wasn’t speeding, I was qualifying," she joked to TMZ.

Records posted online by Alaska's CourtView system show Palin was ticketed by the Wasilla Police Department on July 16 for going 10 to 19 mph over the speed limit, which is listed as a minor offense.

TMZ says she was doing 63 mph in a 45 mph zone in a Toyota Tundra pickup truck.

:thup: :lol: :thup:

Gotta say, that was a pretty good response from the former Vice-Presidential candidate. Not shabby...

Let the speeding-ticket excuses begin!!! Woohoo!!!

A minor offense? It sounds like she was going way over the limit. That would result in a loss of license here.

Or maybe a summary execution......

Sarah Palin was allegedly caught speeding in Alaska last week, but she has an excuse that's sure to make many of her NASCAR-loving fans smile.

"I wasn’t speeding, I was qualifying," she joked to TMZ.

Records posted online by Alaska's CourtView system show Palin was ticketed by the Wasilla Police Department on July 16 for going 10 to 19 mph over the speed limit, which is listed as a minor offense.

TMZ says she was doing 63 mph in a 45 mph zone in a Toyota Tundra pickup truck.

:thup: :lol: :thup:

Gotta say, that was a pretty good response from the former Vice-Presidential candidate. Not shabby...

Let the speeding-ticket excuses begin!!! Woohoo!!!

A minor offense? It sounds like she was going way over the limit. That would result in a loss of license here.

Maybe careless driving in my state, just more points.

:rofl:

RW butthurt all over the place.

Delish.

What butt hurt, she got a speeding ticket and the left attacks her over a comment she never made. I don't understand the left's obsession with the seeing Russia comment.

I can't figure the obsession the left has with Palin. She is a talking head that drives liberals nuts. can you explain it?

Delish.

What butt hurt, she got a speeding ticket and the left attacks her over a comment she never made. I don't understand the left's obsession with the seeing Russia comment.

I can't figure the obsession the left has with Palin. She is a talking head that drives liberals nuts. can you explain it?

The obsession centers around the leftist penchant for hypocrisy.

They claim the GOP is conducting a war on women , yet they are conducting one on any woman who dares to be conservative. They paint them all like they're book-burning Bible-thumpers who just happen to be insane if not slightly retarded. They are a threat to Hillary's aims to be the first female president in American history. They literally put words in their mouths, misquote them, smear them, call them every name in the book, and proudly proclaim they should be forced to eat shit.

It's despicable.

She said "you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska".....which is a pretty dumb thing to say considering it would be nearly impossible considering the width of the Bering Strait and the horizon's curvature.....but, oh well....you have to defend it, even if it is a dumb thing to say. So guess who is the dumbass?

Video with Palin saying it:
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...=23&sigr=11aftaepj&sigt=11q3od1gi&age=0&&tt=b

People are asking me if it's possible to see Russia from Alaska. Well, the Bering Strait is over 50 miles (80 km) wide. The horizon is about 2.89 miles for a average person standing on the surface of the earth. However if one were stationed on a 100-foot tower, the horizon or farthest distance one could see before the curvature of the earth limits vision at the horizon is mere 12.25 miles. Thus, it is not possible to see Russia proper from Alaska across the Bering Strait. Wikipedia has more about the horizon.
Is It Possible to See Russia From Alaska?

and what did she say that wasn't true?
I lived for 15 years so maybe you can clue us all in

You really can't see Russia from Alaska. I didn't know you were only 15....I'm sorry, I've been mistreating you, I thought you were older.

So when have you been to Alaska?
Question:
Can you see Russia from land on Alaska?

Answer:
Yes. You can see Russia from the northern most part of Alaska. It is only separated by the Bering Sea which is 55 miles wide.
More Info:
AnswerParty | Can you see Russia from land on Alaska?
learn something about what you're talking about...as I lived in Alaska for 15 years so I might know just a bit about it...and Palin who beat out an entrenched good ole boy Republican with AN 80% approval rating and was MY GOVERNOR..So I know a little bit about her too

Last edited:

Delish.

The obsession centers around the leftist penchant for hypocrisy.

They claim the GOP is conducting a war on women , yet they are conducting one on any woman who dares to be conservative. They paint them all like they're book-burning Bible-thumpers who just happen to be insane if not slightly retarded. They are a threat to Hillary's aims to be the first female president in American history. They literally put words in their mouths, misquote them, smear them, call them every name in the book, and proudly proclaim they should be forced to eat shit.

It's despicable.

You call that a war?

LOL.

Oh, and Sarah Palin is not the only Conservative woman out there, but she is definitely way, way, way under par.

Delish.

No need to explain it, little guy, cuz no one is attacking her.

Many laugh at her, and I even expressly wrote in the OP that I thought her response was pretty darned good. You call that an attack? Really?

Yepp, the butthurt runs very deep among Righties.

Clever response. Best I've seen though is a friend who was pulled over and did the jedi mind trick. "This is not the car you're looking for". The police officer responded "This is not the car I'm looking for" turned around and left.

Delish.

Many laugh at her, and I even expressly wrote in the OP that I thought her response was pretty darned good. You call that an attack? Really?

You didn't attack, but others did.

You didn't attack, but others did.

Possibly, but I don't speak for others. I speak for myself.

:D

Forum List

Back