Santorum the Progressive Conservative, okay with abortion until 3rd trimester

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Amelia, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Rick Santorum Cast Himself As 'Progressive Conservative,' Non-Reaganite In First Campaign

Well ... gee ... I could have supported Santorum in 1990. I think I like Republicans who are running for office in Blue States.

When they run to the right to try to get today's conservative vote ... that's when things get iffy.

Edit: Hmmm ... looks like he veered hard right on abortion some time during 1990. Well, maybe I could still have voted for him then. Interesting article anyway.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

Your title is very MISLEADING--Santorum is against abortion even in cases of rape and incest.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHkDDqexHs]Santorum: No Rape or Incest Exceptions - YouTube[/ame]

3. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

Now he is. But it looks like he was pro-choice in 1989 and then switched to anti-abortion in 1990. If I have read that article correctly.

4. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    If you read the link in the OP, you will see that in his 1990 campaign Santorum issued a position paper stating he "had limited his opposition to abortion to cover only the time in which a fetus is considered viable - usually taken to mean the final three months of pregnancy".

So it appears Romney is not the only GOP candidate who has flip-flopped on his abortion position. This is a significant revelation considering the weight conservatives have given to Romney's earlier position on abortion.

5. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    He's an opportunistic weathervane, same as the rest of'em.

Without knowing a terrible lot about him, except that he's radical hard-right on just about everything (at the moment), I find him to be more repulsive than most.

6. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Too bad there isn't a strong conservative Republican running who has been principled and consistent for decades. If there was such a candidate, Republicans would flock to him in droves.

BTW, do you know what is really disturbing? Santorum's wife dated a well-know abortionist doctor before they met....and that doctor was the same doctor who oversaw Karen's birth. Now that is fucking disturbing.

7. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

That does raise eyebrows.

p.s. I suppose you're talking about Paul as the principled and consistent one. Well ... he'd be one example of why I don't necessarily like today's idea of "strong conservative". Some of the things he has been associated with in the past coupla decades are real turn-offs.

8. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Why won't y'all just put "Huffington Post" in the thread title, so I don't waste any bandwidth clicking on it.

If you get you news from HuffPo, save some time and just vote Democrat.

Thanks in advance.

9. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    In This Link he claims he was not pro-choice. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Google News Archive Search

10. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,722
    Geez even when the guy tries to be moderate the left goes crazy. Here's what Barry Obama did when he was state senator. When partial birth abortion was outlawed a nurse blew the whistle on a despicable secret method of late term murder of premature babies in Chicago after a custodian handed her a living baby who had been dumped in the garbage. Obama defended the procedure in the state legislature and the nurse was ultimately fired while the manslaughter went on.