Santorum the Progressive Conservative, okay with abortion until 3rd trimester

Too bad there isn't a strong conservative Republican running who has been principled and consistent for decades. If there was such a candidate, Republicans would flock to him in droves.
You pretty much made the above extinct with the RINO pogrom. After decades of breeding with social conservatives and Christian fundamentalists, there are no ‘pure blood’ strong conservative Republicans to be found.

My link above your post is right from the Oct. 28, 1990 newspaper.

The timing is about right.

By the late ‘80s it became clear to many moderate Northeast republicans that the takeover of the GOP by the radical right and religious fundamentalists was inevitable – they either had to get with the anti-abortion, anti-gay agenda or risk being branded a heretic.

Too bad there isn't a strong conservative Republican running who has been principled and consistent for decades. If there was such a candidate, Republicans would flock to him in droves.
You pretty much made the above extinct with the RINO pogrom. After decades of breeding with social conservatives and Christian fundamentalists, there are no ‘pure blood’ strong conservative Republicans to be found.

Republicans never liked Conservatives. Need I remind you of '64?

Republicans are all bluster and only get conservative when Democrats are in power.

The Pittsburgh Press, October 28, 1990

1990_10_28_PittsburghPress.jpg

Except there is no evidence of a position paper, and even according to the article, he has always been opposed to abortion and public funding of abortion.

Unlike Romney who was Pro-choice, then personally opposed, then finally Pro-life, when he decided to run for president.

And wasn't public funding of abortion part of Romneycare?

The article is evidence of a position paper. Let's see if Santorum denies that the position paper existed.

"always been opposed to abortion" ?? Um ... the article says that his opposition to abortion was limited to the time when the baby was viable. Which is a standard pro-choice position.

Rick Santorum Cast Himself As 'Progressive Conservative,' Non-Reaganite In First Campaign

Well ... gee ... I could have supported Santorum in 1990. I think I like Republicans who are running for office in Blue States.

When they run to the right to try to get today's conservative vote ... that's when things get iffy.

Edit: Hmmm ... looks like he veered hard right on abortion some time during 1990. Well, maybe I could still have voted for him then. Interesting article anyway.

Hmmmmmmmm, the same thing he is attacking Romney for, a little hypocritical for such a man who touts his Christianity. :lol:

Except there is no evidence of a position paper, and even according to the article, he has always been opposed to abortion and public funding of abortion.

Unlike Romney who was Pro-choice, then personally opposed, then finally Pro-life, when he decided to run for president.

Public funding of abortion was the LAW of the land in the deep, deep blue state of Mass no matter who was governor, it's called the separation of powers. It was never a part of Romney care.

BTW Reagan was pro-choice before he was pro-life and I would rather have a President who has the ability to grow and think and come to a different conclusion as I have done myself.

I am certainly never going to tell a woman or young girl that she has to carry a child that she had no choice in making. I would love to see the man who could tell a 12 year old girl who has been raped by her own father from the time she was 8 years old that her immature body would have to carry a baby to full term. Men who do that are not men and they would be considered more manly if they directed their venom at the perpertator who committed the crime. The 12 year old girl is a TRUE story.

Public funding of abortion was the LAW of the land in the deep, deep blue state of Mass no matter who was governor, it's called the separation of powers. It was never a part of Romney care.

BTW Reagan was pro-choice before he was pro-life and I would rather have a President who has the ability to grow and think and come to a different conclusion as I have done myself.

I am certainly never going to tell a woman or young girl that she has to carry a child that she had no choice in making. I would love to see the man who could tell a 12 year old girl who has been raped by her own father from the time she was 8 years old that her immature body would have to carry a baby to full term. Men who do that are not men and they would be considered more manly if they directed their venom at the perpertator who committed the crime. The 12 year old girl is a TRUE story.

Santorum wouldn't just tell her to carry it full term, he would tell her the baby was a gift from God.

^^^^
Man, I hope I'm kidding there.

But I'm not sure ... and that is very scary.

Santorum wouldn't just tell her to carry it full term, he would tell her the baby was a gift from God.

^^^^
Man, I hope I'm kidding there.

But I'm not sure ... and that is very scary.
Yea, Santorum guaranteed the women's vote with that bit of genius.

Rick Santorum Cast Himself As 'Progressive Conservative,' Non-Reaganite In First Campaign

Well ... gee ... I could have supported Santorum in 1990. I think I like Republicans who are running for office in Blue States.

When they run to the right to try to get today's conservative vote ... that's when things get iffy.

Edit: Hmmm ... looks like he veered hard right on abortion some time during 1990. Well, maybe I could still have voted for him then. Interesting article anyway.

When they run to the right to try to get today's conservative vote... that's when things get down right scary.

I've changed my mind on Abortion. Brought up in the Catholic tradition, I got the full Cathoic indoctrination about abortion and was anti-abortion even after becoming an atheist.

What's changed my mind is that as a pure practical matter, making it illegal is impossible. In addition- and more importantly, the GOP only uses this issue to get the rank and file worked up while they get about the important business of demolishing the middle class. Which is why after 40 years of being against Roe v. Wade, Roe v. Wade is still the law despite 8 GOP appointments to SCOTUS.

Santorum seems to me to have had a real change of heart on the issue. There was no advantage to declaring yourself pro-life in a blue state. Romney was pro-choice when running in a blue state and pro-life when he decided he needed to convince the Evangelicals in Iowa to vote for him.

I don't worry about this issue because at this point, it's not like you are going to get any meaningful restrictions on abortion. Even if the court was to overturn Roe, the states will just pass laws that will be exactly like Roe.

I've changed my mind on Abortion. Brought up in the Catholic tradition, I got the full Cathoic indoctrination about abortion and was anti-abortion even after becoming an atheist.

What's changed my mind is that as a pure practical matter, making it illegal is impossible. In addition- and more importantly, the GOP only uses this issue to get the rank and file worked up while they get about the important business of demolishing the middle class. Which is why after 40 years of being against Roe v. Wade, Roe v. Wade is still the law despite 8 GOP appointments to SCOTUS.

Santorum seems to me to have had a real change of heart on the issue. There was no advantage to declaring yourself pro-life in a blue state. Romney was pro-choice when running in a blue state and pro-life when he decided he needed to convince the Evangelicals in Iowa to vote for him.

I don't worry about this issue because at this point, it's not like you are going to get any meaningful restrictions on abortion. Even if the court was to overturn Roe, the states will just pass laws that will be exactly like Roe.

Translation: Genocide is big money for the Left. Don't mess with the Golden Goose.

I think the overarching point to take from this is that Romney has been attacked for being pro-choice in the past. It is one of the key arguments made for why Republicans need to vote for Santorum.

So it is significant that Santorum has been shown to have been pro-choice as well.

That makes one less thing differentiating the two men.

It's a HuffPo Blog...did you expect honesty?

:lol: I expect Fiction. I am not disappointed. ;)

Oh brother. I hoped that people would be above that kind of dismissal of a document with legitimate source material just because it was posted at HuffPo.

The Link I showed you came from the Puff n' Stuff Article you Posted. In the Link, Santorum, denied your Allegation. I read your article, I read the Link from the Article, which made the false claim. Who dismissed what again?

It means that Santorum may not be as hardcore as he appears on the abortion issue. Reagan could talk hardcore on such issues but would do nothing as governor or president to promote the issues. Bush certainly played that game with the hardright, promising X and Y, then doing as little as possible.

:lol: I expect Fiction. I am not disappointed. ;)

Oh brother. I hoped that people would be above that kind of dismissal of a document with legitimate source material just because it was posted at HuffPo.

The Link I showed you came from the Puff n' Stuff Article you Posted. In the Link, Santorum, denied your Allegation. I read your article, I read the Link from the Article, which made the false claim. Who dismissed what again?

OMG - a politician issued a denial when he was in an awkward position.

I want to know if he denies that the position paper was created and then withdrawn. Then we can get down to the brass tacks of what the position paper said and why it was withdrawn. But first things first.

If we can argue over a birth certificate, we certainly can demand the position paper.

P.s., Intense, it's pretty much moot. I'd still like to hear more about the position paper but the scary thing about him is that he thinks that when a father rapes his daughter and she ends up pregnant that was God giving her a gift.

The part about him once having a sane position on abortion and changing his position mid-race is merely interesting. Not a reason to be alarmed about him.

Your title is very MISLEADING--Santorum is against abortion even in cases of rape and incest.

If you read the link in the OP, you will see that in his 1990 campaign Santorum issued a position paper stating he "had limited his opposition to abortion to cover only the time in which a fetus is considered viable - usually taken to mean the final three months of pregnancy".

So it appears Romney is not the only GOP candidate who has flip-flopped on his abortion position. This is a significant revelation considering the weight conservatives have given to Romney's earlier position on abortion.

No you keep bringing the abortion issue up, not us. We are interseted in his budgetary and fiscal policies and defense stances. This smokescreen is just another of your built straw men to argue against.
You people have become a total joke.

Forum List

Back