Santorum 2002 on intelligent design

If the Education Board of Ohio does not include intelligent design in the new teaching standards, many students will be denied a first-rate science education.

Illiberal Education in Ohio Schools

Have to laugh to stop from crying as the anti-science wing of the GOP hands four more years to Obama.

Santorum would seem to be first class evidence that there's no "intelligent design". :lol:

Either by design or by accident, getting the evangelicals wound up may be the best thing that will happen to Obama in the campaign.

Funny thing about evolution is you have to believe that a massive amount of energy came from nowhere and exploded into matter. This matter became chemicals. These chemicals somehow combined to form living things like bacteria and other cells developed to form the millions and millions of multi-system organisms that exist today. (simplistically speaking of course) I'm not saying i believe in intelligent design but to say you believe in what I just described but to think intelligent design is stupid, sounds pretty stupid in itself, too. I don't think humans are anywhere capable of comprehending what the deal is right now.

Funny thing about evolution is you have to believe that a massive amount of energy came from nowhere and exploded into matter. This matter became chemicals. These chemicals somehow combined to form living things like bacteria and other cells developed to form the millions and millions of multi-system organisms that exist today. (simplistically speaking of course) I'm not saying i believe in intelligent design but to say you believe in what I just described but to think intelligent design is stupid, sounds pretty stupid in itself, too. I don't think humans are anywhere capable of comprehending what the deal is right now.

We never will as long as it is a political issue. I am quite comfortable with the idea of the universe being created in a single instant by chance. I am quite comfortable with the idea that life arose simply because the carbon atom is so chemically versatile in the presence of heat and and a quantity of H,O,N. Why must there be a purpose to life and the universe?

We never will as long as it is a political issue. I am quite comfortable with the idea of the universe being created in a single instant by chance. I am quite comfortable with the idea that life arose simply because the carbon atom is so chemically versatile in the presence of heat and and a quantity of H,O,N. Why must there be a purpose to life and the universe?
I'll stick with intelligent design but do not want public school teachers handling the subject.

Evolution is as much a theory as intelligent design, NEITHER has been scientifically proven...

If the Education Board of Ohio does not include intelligent design in the new teaching standards, many students will be denied a first-rate science education.

Have to laugh to stop from crying as the anti-science wing of the GOP hands four more years to Obama.

Santorum in 2005:

I think I would probably tailor that a little more than what the president has suggested, that I'm not comfortable with intelligent design being taught in the science classroom. What we should be teaching are the problems and holes and I think there are legitimate problems and holes in the theory of evolution. And what we need to do is to present those fairly from a scientific point of view. And we should lay out areas in which the evidence supports evolution and the areas in the evidence that does not.

Santorum in 2005:

I think I would probably tailor that a little more than what the president has suggested, that I'm not comfortable with intelligent design being taught in the science classroom. What we should be teaching are the problems and holes and I think there are legitimate problems and holes in the theory of evolution. And what we need to do is to present those fairly from a scientific point of view. And we should lay out areas in which the evidence supports evolution and the areas in the evidence that does not.

Yeah, I heard that he changed his position.

And that's fine that you believe that, but it's no more provable or believable than intelligent design, at least not at this point. Why must there be a purpose to life and the universe? Why can't there be?

Evolution is as much a theory as intelligent design, NEITHER has been scientifically proven...

No origin theory can be proven short of the invention of a time machine, besides, this debate has a lot less to do with the search for a scientific proof than the search for a somewhat plausible pseudo-scientific explanation for why god continues to hide from the slightest proof of his existence.

Santorum in 2005:

Well I think what we are seeing is that Santorum is a "say anything" candidate. In one venue he supports intelligent design. In another he opposes it. In South Carolina he opposes auto industry bailouts, but today he robocalls Michigan voters in support of it. The guy is full of shit. If he thinks it will get him a vote he will say it.

Evolution has mountains of evidence, intelligent design does not.

Really?

Interesting that men who as a group are united in their conviction that religious beliefs are primitive should find themselves suggesting theories that include aliens, special universes in which natural law does not apply, multiple dimensions and imaginary particles, based on an eerie mix of technical sophistication and philosophical incompetence. Take the paper by distinguished cosmologists Ellis, Kirchner and Stoeger, that posits that there may be myriad universes with every possible combination and permutation of natural law, yet their essay includes “…the very existence of [the Landscape] is based on an assumed set of laws…which all universes…have in common.”
Journal of Cosmology

"The number of intermediate varieties which have formerly existed on earth must be truly enormous. Why then is not every geological formation and every stratum full of such intermediate links? Geology assuredly does not reveal any such finely graduated organic chain; and this, perhaps, is the most obvious and gravest objection which can be urged against my theory." - Charles Darwin 1902 edition.

“…I am quite conscious that my speculations run beyond the bounds of true science….It is a mere rag of an hypothesis with as many flaw & holes as sound parts.” Charles Darwin to Asa Gray, cited by Adrian Desmond and James Moore, Darwin, (New York: W.W. Norton and Company, 1991) pp. 456, 475.

Forum List

Back