San Fran Major Ban Bottled Water

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by red states rule, Jun 24, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Why are the people of San Fran letting this idiot humilate their city? First it was micrwave popcorn - not bottled water

Mayor Newsom prohibits city departments from using bottled water

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Citing environmental concerns, Mayor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order prohibiting city departments from buying bottled water.

In a decision announced yesterday, Newsom says the ban will go into effect July first and extend to all city and county water coolers by December first.

A spokesman for the San Francisco public utilities commission says Newsom's decision will save tax payer money and combat global warming.

http://www.cbs47.tv/news/state/story.aspx?content_id=256a9c75-269a-40ca-929c-8868f84736a5

2. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    What an imbecile.

3. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,112
    My first thought was, "What an idiot, this mayor in San fran."

But then, I thought, WHY SHOULD TAX DOLLARS of the citizens of San Francisco, PAY for bottled water for government employees???

I don't think they should have to pay for bottled water for government employees, and this is the reason I think I would have to agree with the Mayor on this one, but not for his environmental reasons.

care

4. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

What's stupid about this? Nothing. First, it will save the taxpayers money. Why do government offices need bottle water? Most companies I've ever worked for, didn't have bottled water.

Second, the city's tap water supply is perfectly safe. The city employees can use that, rather than wasting tax money on bottled water for their office.

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Excellent point. It is too bad that RSR didn’t think of this before posting the article – or does he want the citizens of San Fran to pay more taxes than necessary.

6. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    SF needs to save money. They have more important thnings to pay for - like sex change operations for their employees

City could pay for sex changes

snip...

San Francisco started offering the benefit to its employees in 2001, said Marcus Arana, a discrimination investigator with the city's Human Rights Commission and one of the architects of that city's policy.

Arana said he faced resistance from people who feared it would end up costing the city too much money because those wanting the surgery would flock to San Francisco to get jobs or marry city employees just to get the benefits.

Insurance companies don't offer it unless specifically asked, and out of fear, he said.

"It's based on the fear that everyone will want sex changes," Arana said. "And it's based on the antiquated notion that these procedures are experimental or cosmetic, but the city of San Francisco has determined that it is a medically necessary treatment for transexualism."

http://www.ebdailynews.com/article/2007-5-5-05-05-07-eb-surgery

7. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    They already are

8. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    First SF banned light bulbs, then microwave popcorn, then bottled water. What is next? Employees driving SUV's to work?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    One can hope :)

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    California has always been on the cutting edge of things. I guess if they in the Bay Area have success in these items of concern then the rest of the country could follow this example.