Ryan Budget: Senate Whip Count

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Greenbeard, May 23, 2011.

1. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    With the Paul "Medicare is not an option" Ryan's budget scheduled for a vote in the Senate on Thursday, watching who votes which way should be interesting.

Today we have former Tea Party favorite Scott Brown explaining why he'll be a no vote:

We've known for a month that Susan Collins will also be a no vote.

Have any other senators gone on record publicly for or against?

2. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Looks like we've also got Rand Paul coming out against because Ryan's budget adds too much to the debt:

Olympia Snowe also came out against Ryan's budget today, though for different reasons that Rand Paul.

And Lisa Murkowski is apparently undecided.

One can't help but think back to failed Tea Party candidate Joe Miller's position on Medicare in the last election when Murkowski embarrassed him.

3. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    fine by me let them vote, thats what they get paid for. *shrugs*

I'll be interested in seeing the dems alternative or compramises.

4. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    Ryan's plan is deplorable and horrible. Everyone with half a brain knows it will leave millions uninsured in their retirement years. But you are correct, the Dems need to come forward with a plan to reduce costs, because there is no way we can afford the long term projected costs of Medicare. While it is not liked by many, my personal idea, and one that has been floated around, is raising the retirement age for anyone born before 1960 from the current 67 to 70. The reason people don't like it is obvious, but it does make sense as people are just living so much longer than in the past. By raising the age by three years, it would reduce total costs by approximately 20%. At the same time, it would leave most people contributing into the system for an additional three years which would bring in additional revenue. I haven't seen any real numbers, and I'm not even sure anyone has done any projections on how this would effect the cost of Medicare over the long haul, but it would be interesting to at least see if this idea has any merit.