Ruh Roh Soros Army

I miss the old Republicans...the ones who were concerned with Executive Orders and loved the separation of powers.

This right here can only end badly

Great. Double down on the annual $15,000,000,000 the Feds spend on the "Drug War" and the $25,000,000,000 the States have to spend on it.

If druggies want to inject poison in their bodies, I say we should let them and do it for profit.
But they don't just destroy their own lives. They damge their children and all those around them.
Banning drugs doesn't change that. Alcohol and gambling "damage children and those around them". Why not ban those too? And, of course the LWer's favorite, guns and soda pop.

Meh maybe I should have started a thread, but we were on the subject and I wall-o-texted...

Thread derailing rambling on drugs and America:

I'm on the fence on drugs. To start I've never considered pot a big deal, never thought it should have been added to the drug list. I suppose one could call it a holistic approach - shouldn't be throwing people in jail for something they can grow in their kitchen window. I didn't see the crime from it, didn't see it as a gateway drug (in fact it was the opposite in Alaska,) /everyone/ I grew up with smoked pot and pretty much everyone quit on their own to get down to the business of life right around the end of HS [and that was happening before it was even illegal] I didn't see it causing any more crime than say drinking (neither did my state, since marijuana is actually /mentioned/ as legal in our state constitution, we fought off the Feds in '92 when they crushed us with highway funds...)

On the harder drugs, idk I suppose I kind of understood their criminalization in an non-esoteric way; understood the addiction, understand the labs blowing up and shit, understood the 'negative effects' they caused on peoples thinking - bad stuff that pot just doesn't cause. When Regan first announced the War on Drugs, it was about coke according to the news, my folks said that shit was bad news, something they'd never said about pot (which is really the only thing I have had any experience with at all.) I never really cared and assumed the government and the media was telling the truth about the 'epidemic.' I thought it was 'needed.'

Then they turned on pot too, I watched the federal government fuck over my state and break our constitution... I recall being so... offended, I mean not even so much the act itself, but the very principle of the Feds forcing Alaska to break it's own state Constitution... And there was "anger" with my local government for caving in, between that and my fight for SSM and my LGBT friends, it 'broke' my faith in the government in a lot of ways. Since then I've had a rather strong dislike for Feds, and my own government to a lesser extent; but at least locally I can directly change with my voice and my votes, the Feds were out of my reach and out of my direct control. That concept of 'we the people' is a damned lie when it comes to the Feds so I suppose I was a bit of a 'rebel' but not really active... a "casual rebel"?

With my new founded skepticism I started idk seeing 'it' ... the reality of the effects of the war; crime, costs in police and federal resources (aka my tax money, and I was paying a fucking lot at the time), folks caught playing around in that young party age range [20-25] and being branded a "criminal for life," Veterans going to jail simply for smoking a harmless joint, etc. Even up here, folks get busted for smoking a joint, get thrown out of the military, go to jail... Criminal record in Alaska? You're in trouble, for a long time employers, myself included, basically ignored pot convictions in Alaska, but as the lower 48 got more and more nuts with the suing /everyone/ for /everything/ the corporations and big businesses up here [oil and tourism, fishing operations etc] couldn't afford the liability of hiring a criminal, hiring 'questionable' people - couldn't afford the negative PR, couldn't afford the workers compensation increases, and more. You can imagine the outrage that would have been poured onto Exxon if their Captain was smoking a joint yea? Yet, throughout it all my Father hired ex-cons to do every little odd job around the houses and cabins; it was a local military outreach program - you know it's bad when the military guys have a program to help folks fucked over by something that the military 'outlaws.'

Through my experiences with the government fighting for SSM in Alaska, I saw just how bad it was; pages and pages of bullshit laws, going to jail for shit people were doing in the privacy of their own home and no threat to anyone else - same shit with LGBT's who just wanted to get married. Nothing more than government digging into peoples private lives - something our Constitution and the "Spirit of Alaska" takes too heart - Privacy... and Sovereignty [the latter was even one of my guild names for nearly a decade heh] I suppose that's when I /truly/ fell off the proverbial cart; watching how shitty the government treated my LGBT friends and seeing just how /against/ the 'spirit of freedom' everything was becoming, how far we were straying from the principles in the US Constitution. So I became a 'legalize drugs' person, couldn't really campaign it or anything cause of my work reputation, but I voted against everything I could... 9/11 got me back on track for a while, war being a "unifying" force in a lot of ways, but it sure as fuck didn't hold...

It's like 30 years later. I've seriously disliked my government for a decade, like /seriously/ disliked /everything/ they did - maybe twice I've been 'okay' about something that came out of the Feds, fucking twice in a decade. That's so fucked up... I think I got 'mad' instead of just 'rebellious.' There has been zero trust, zero faith, and zero support from me. But now, now we have Donald J. Trump... I've been a fan of his since the 80s, he was an inspiration to me, a rebel businessman, like me in a lot of ways that I won't get into here because the haters will just throw a hissy fit tantrum heh Bottom line in the whole thing is I trust him, I trust most of this beliefs, I trust his dedication, I trust his judgement, and if he's saying we need to fix drugs in order to fix the nation... I have to admit that I don't know what the 'right' course on drugs is anymore...

I've always known the harder shit is bad for people, but I don't care in the 'broader' picture - like it's their life if they want to throw it away on hard drugs then that's their choice. At the same time though I see the criminal aspect of that idea; the robbing people to pay for their addiction and gangs and shit. I guess up here in Alaska that's a non-issue because we can shoot people for damn near anything, in the lower 48 though... you folks are like toothless rats trapped in cages and don't have that option to protect yourselves from the criminal decisions of others. The government's down there have made you dependent upon their whims in the drug fight - be that on purpose or just as a consequence, the results are the same.

As a patriot can I logically write off the lives of the innocent civilians caught up in drug crime? It's a tricky question because I'm finding myself biased in both polar opposites; freedom of personal choice and consequence, and the safety of fellow Americans, and it makes it difficult for me to decide where I'll ultimately stand. And President Trump, ya know, he's never done drugs because he says he's seen how it destroys peoples lives, it's something he's talked about forever. The concept that Trump and Kelly have to combat drugs isn't like Regan's plan. It's not just criminalize it and expect people to do the right thing; it's treating the addicts, its dealing with the drug cartels and gangs that operate for them in the US, it's shutting down the supply lines, and burning the fields, working with other nations to 'contain' the entire mess. It's comprehensive and most of all, it's a real plan, instead of the mere political grandstanding that Regan gave us.

In the long run, I do believe it would be better for American's to /not/ be addicted to these hard drugs; for them to be in control of their own lives instead of being controlled by drugs. I know addiction, I'm a smoker, been trying to quit for decades, but I can't do it; even with all my logic, knowing it's bad, and without the emotional baggage that hinders others - I haven't been able to quit on my own. It was stupid, I quit when I was pregnant with my youngest, but shit happened and I started again, not even sure /why/ anymore, just did and now I'm stuck. I'm lucky, perhaps a bit reckless really since I ultimately decided I don't give a shit if I die right now because I've done what I 'wanted' in life, but I mean if shit got real bad I could go get Chantrix and be done with it - maybe I will, maybe I won't I waffle on it because of the addiction. These folks putting themselves in the poor house can't do that, they can't just go get treatment and recover... I understand that these folks are going to need help to quit and it sounds like President Trump and General Kelly understand that as well. That's the real key of it, curing the addiction... but can they do it? Or will it just make a fucking disaster like Regan did? IDK, but I do find myself thinking that they should try, because ultimately for America I think it'd be for the better.

I need to research other countries, other drug infested countries - something I've never actually looked into. Maybe countries that don't have drugs... if they even exist heh Anwyay, that's where /I/ am.

Forum List

Back