Romney's real swipe at gay marriage

You don't see a difference between protecting private consensual conduct and forcing others to accept the normalization of that conduct. I do. States should not only be free to make their own laws, which may recognize legal marriages between brothers and sisters if they choose, but to reject such unions imported from other states if they so choose.

So what you are saying is that we should discrmiinate because you get all uptight if you see two dudes holding hands.

Do you have any arguments against gay marriage that don't involve "God says its wrong" or "I think it's icky" ?

California does not recognize a common law marriage even if the couple comes from a state that does. It works quite well.

People used to think this worked quite well, too. I mean, they can get the water, what are they complaining about?

black-history-colored-water-26761-700.jpg

There is no law, nor should there be, prohibiting homosexual conduct. Such a law would be abhorrent and reprehensible. Forcing the majority to recognize the legitimacy of such relationships are the issue, not the existence of such relationships.

There are no laws forcing you to acknowledge gay marriage. You are free to hate anyone you want. If you don't like married gays.....don't acknowledge them

What you can't do is force the government to accept your views

But the government CAN force everyone who does not accept your views to adopt those views.
No it can't. But I agree that it does try. Which is bullshit.

Or, is a photographer not being sued under government laws for refusing to photograph a same sex wedding? Get rid of the mandates, then we have something to discuss. It took me five months of fighting a lesbian couple after I refused to paint their wedding portrait to get their case thrown out. No one should ever be put in that position.
Eh... Well.. Your call. Whatever.

Forget about Ann. During his RNC speech, Mitt said, “As president, I will protect the sanctity of life,” Romney said. “I will honor the institution of marriage, and I will guarantee America’s first liberty: the freedom of religion.”

Not to mention the fact that the Republican platform calls for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as being between a man and a woman.

i'm just wondering how they think imposing the agenda of the radical religious right protects my freedom of religion....

oh right.. they think the 1st amendment only applies to christians. but we can tell the heathens what to do and forget muslims having the right to build a mosque where they want.

yeppers... they love the 1st amendment.

Forget about Ann. During his RNC speech, Mitt said, “As president, I will protect the sanctity of life,” Romney said. “I will honor the institution of marriage, and I will guarantee America’s first liberty: the freedom of religion.”

Not to mention the fact that the Republican platform calls for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as being between a man and a woman.

i'm just wondering how they think imposing the agenda of the radical religious right protects my freedom of religion....

oh right.. they think the 1st amendment only applies to christians. but we can tell the heathens what to do and forget muslims having the right to build a mosque where they want.

yeppers... they love the 1st amendment.

Romneys to the left of Obama on this issue. The Romney Files

But the government CAN force everyone who does not accept your views to adopt those views. Or, is a photographer not being sued under government laws for refusing to photograph a same sex wedding? Get rid of the mandates, then we have something to discuss. It took me five months of fighting a lesbian couple after I refused to paint their wedding portrait to get their case thrown out. No one should ever be put in that position.

I'm curious why you fought five months to not take money from someone to do a job. That sounds kind of crazy to me. Their money is just as green as a straight couples.

As I recall the case of the photographer, she took the money and agreed to be part of the wedding and pulled out at the last minute, with the couple being unable to find a replacement on short notice, so that was a breech of contract issue.

Point is, if you start saying, "I'm not going to serve you because your gay" you don't get far from "I'm not going to serve you because you are Black" or "I'm not going to serve you because you are Jewish." A business is a public accommedation, you simply don't have the right to refuse customers. We've sort of been over this.

Now, yeah, logically, if you know someone is a Christian bigot you don't want them painting or photographing your wedding because they are going to do a shitty job.

California does not recognize a common law marriage even if the couple comes from a state that does. It works quite well.

You can't enter into a Common Law Civil Marriage in California, however...

CALIFORNIA CODES
FAMILY.CODE
308. (a) A marriage contracted outside this state that would be
valid by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the marriage was
contracted is valid in this state.

If a couple enter into a Common Law Marriage in say Utah, then later move to California, California code says they are Civilly Married because they were married according to the laws of the source state (i.e. Utah).

>>>>

So, ahhh, how many states have VOTED in gay marriage? How many voted against it?

Yea, he is using to cull voters, the republican base for the most part. What did you expect? Him to suddenly declare that he supports a measure that is going to ensure he will not get elected? That is asinine. No matter what you believe on gay marriage, this is exactly what you should have expected from ANY of the republican candidates.

The bigger issue is that this is even something worth mentioning. You do realize that the courts are taking this matter into their own hands, right? Romney is going to have nothing to do with the gay movement, it is going to be handled in the courts and there is nothing that he can do about it.

Compared to 30 years ago........
No, not compared to anything. You don’t want to look at the data without skewing it with nonsense because you don’t like the answer. People simply do not agree that gay marriage is a good thing and they do not want it instituted in government policy. Period.

Will that change in the future? Of course it will. Gay marriage is GOING to happen. We are not talking about the future though. We are talking about a candidate in the HERE AND NOW who hopes to actually get the votes to become president. Take off the rose colored glasses and actually take a look at the world around you, you can effect change more effectively that way.

Compared to 30 years ago......:eusa_whistle:

Interesting how he highlights the freedom of religion but has no problems forcing his religious views on gay marriage on the whole country

His views are God's views.

Don't like it ?

Stick a dick in your mouth.

Anyone else's IRONY Meter just peg out like mine did?

Shocking. A neanderthal who doesn't see that the times are a' changing.

So, ahhh, how many states have VOTED in gay marriage? How many voted against it?

Yea, he is using to cull voters, the republican base for the most part. What did you expect? Him to suddenly declare that he supports a measure that is going to ensure he will not get elected? That is asinine. No matter what you believe on gay marriage, this is exactly what you should have expected from ANY of the republican candidates.

The bigger issue is that this is even something worth mentioning. You do realize that the courts are taking this matter into their own hands, right? Romney is going to have nothing to do with the gay movement, it is going to be handled in the courts and there is nothing that he can do about it.

Then he should admit it's a legal issue.

The dishonesty is that he insists on supporting a constitutional amendment (that would never pass) when he knows darned well that eventually,the courts are going to legalize gay marriage for the whole country.

Because he thinks there might be a few homophobes out there who will vote for lower wages and offshoring because hates the gays so much.

Kind of what Clinton did with DADT....knowing it wouldn't last. And it didn't.

4. The "Gay Youth Pride" Proclamation Romney Hopes Conservatives Never Read:

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/marriage/romney/GayYouthProclamation.pdf

Romney issues "Proclamation for Gay Youth Pride Day" two years as Governor of Massachusetts!

Mitt Romney still proudly states his support for "gay rights." What did this mean for youth in Massachusetts while he was Governor?

Gov. Romney's banner at Youth Pride 2005.
[MassResistance photo.]

A disturbing call to celebrate "gay youth." In 2003 and 2004 Gov. Romney issued proclamations celebrating "Massachusetts Gay/Straight Youth Pride Day" urging "all the citizens of the Commonwealth to take cognizance of this event and participate fittingly in its observance." His Youth Proclamations resulted in parades/events led by sexual radicals and transgender activists.

Gov. Romney's Proclamation urging all citizens to celebrate "Gay/Straight Youth Pride Day" in May 2003:

---
Romney makes Bill Clinton look conservative.

Thank you for reasons to like Romney.

You claimed to be a Republican who's only objection to Romney was that he's Mormon.

Apparently you're a gay marriage and abortion advocate as well. Go figure.

Then why has Romney said this?

“When I am President, I will preserve the defense of marriage act…

Which has already been ruled un-Constitutional:

Court: Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional for denying same-sex married couples federal benefits - CBS News

…and I will fight for a federal amendment defining marriage as a relationship between one man and one woman.”

Which would conflict with the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment. The Constitution should be amended only to address certain procedural issues, such as the 22nd Amendment, or to expand the rights of Americans, such as the 19th and 26th Amendments, not restrict Americans’ civil liberties.

Not surprising Romney’s ignorance of the Constitution.

Is that what your god taught you?

No. God says a marriage is between a man and a woman, nut sack.

You wandering off - sucking dick - that's your own personal decision.

That help?

God is repulsed by you

Don't you realize that?

God’s not alone.

The people are equal. The relationships are different. I never saw anything in any document that says "all relationships are created equal".

Here:

It suffices for us to acknowledge that adults may choose to enter upon this relationship in the confines of their homes and their own private lives and still retain their dignity as free persons. When sexuality finds overt expression in intimate conduct with another person, the conduct can be but one element in a personal bond that is more enduring. The liberty protected by the Constitution allows homosexual persons the right to make this choice.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

The people and the relationships they enter into are thus one in the same, the most fundamental aspect of being human is the right to self-determination, including determining in the context of the right to privacy the nature of a personal relationship.

There is no law, nor should there be, prohibiting homosexual conduct. Such a law would be abhorrent and reprehensible. Forcing the majority to recognize the legitimacy of such relationships are the issue, not the existence of such relationships.

Incorrect.

No one is being ‘forced’ to recognize anything, as the right to marry already exists; denying same sex couples access to marriage law violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment.

(2/6/12) Perry v. Brown, Nos. 10-16696 & 11-16577 (Advance Notice of Opinion Filing in Prop. 8 case)

But the government CAN force everyone who does not accept your views to adopt those views. Or, is a photographer not being sued under government laws for refusing to photograph a same sex wedding? Get rid of the mandates, then we have something to discuss. It took me five months of fighting a lesbian couple after I refused to paint their wedding portrait to get their case thrown out. No one should ever be put in that position.

Wrong again.

That was a public accommodations issue having nothing to do with same-sex marriage per se, as the discrimination was predicated on sexual orientation alone. The business was being compelled to provide services to citizens pursuant to Commerce Clause jurisprudence. See: Heart of Atlanta Motel Inc. v. United States (1964).

You claimed to be a Republican who's only objection to Romney was that he's Mormon.

All republicans and conservatives should be advocates of equal protection and privacy rights, that they aren’t is what’s difficult to ‘figure.’

I think you are talking to the wrong Joseph....

But for the record, I think the ones who are misguided are you folks. If you all really think government is limited and should mind its own business, which is the definition of a conservative, where do you think the government should be determining who has a valid relationship and who doesn't.

Or to put it another way, if you think the GOP is a friend of the small businessman, why would you deny so many small businessmen money making oppurtunities.

If gays get married, think of all the reception halls, bakeries, photographers, printers, wedding planners, limo services, and so on that will get new business. (Keeping in mind that I think that weddings are a H U G E racket, but everyone gets to ride.)

However, at the end of the day, I tend to be a pragmatist. As a pragmatic matter, it is better for gays to be true to themselves than to try to conform to your standard. Nothing is worse than a gay person who marries a straight person to try to conform, making him/herself miserable and their partner miserable.

Now since all of this will sail over your head as reasoning, please go on about how your imaginary friend in the sky thinks it's wrong and you think it's icky. Becuase that's kind of all you have.

But for the record, I think the ones who are misguided are you folks. If you all really think government is limited and should mind its own business, which is the definition of a conservative, where do you think the government should be determining who has a valid relationship and who doesn't.

Or to put it another way, if you think the GOP is a friend of the small businessman, why would you deny so many small businessmen money making oppurtunities.

If gays get married, think of all the reception halls, bakeries, photographers, printers, wedding planners, limo services, and so on that will get new business. (Keeping in mind that I think that weddings are a H U G E racket, but everyone gets to ride.)

However, at the end of the day, I tend to be a pragmatist. As a pragmatic matter, it is better for gays to be true to themselves than to try to conform to your standard. Nothing is worse than a gay person who marries a straight person to try to conform, making him/herself miserable and their partner miserable.

Now since all of this will sail over your head as reasoning, please go on about how your imaginary friend in the sky thinks it's wrong and you think it's icky. Becuase that's kind of all you have.

You don't pay attention much. I'm an advocate for gay marriage, I just don't think that issue trumps economic issues.

So why are you rooting for Obama? He tried and failed.

You don't pay attention much. I'm an advocate for gay marriage, I just don't think that issue trumps economic issues.

So why are you rooting for Obama? He tried and failed.

It doesn't trump other issues, for you. I know of many people who won't vote for Romney because of gay rights, I know people who will never vote Obama because they are pro-life.

Forum List

Back