Romney's Premature Coronation...

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Great article, worth the read...

Articles: The Premature Coronation of Romney

But this member of the CBS panel couldn't stop there, and she proceeded to give the Verdi aria rendition of how Obama's campaign will trash Romney once he's nominated: " ... to paint Mitt Romney as Wall Street's best friend. I heard from David Plouffe, the President's senior advisor, that there is, of course, growing anger at Wall Street amongst independents, Republicans, and, of course, Democrats. They're going to paint Mitt Romney as a Wall Street sympathizer, someone who wants to roll back Wall Street reforms, who in the debate with Julianna this past week said that he is against a payroll tax, calling it a band-aid." And on and on.

Norah seems to have forgotten the plan. First get him nominated. Then savage him.

So there you have the kind of discussion that passes for disinterested, high-quality political analysis by CBS News, undisputed king of the MSM. Their panel's conclusion: Mitt Romney -- nary a primary vote having been cast nor a delegate selected, mired at 21% in the polls after a campaign of antediluvian vintage (and actually trailing Herman Cain's 25%) -- is a virtual lock for the GOP nomination.

And note: This conclusion comes from CBS's uncommonly balanced group of four panelists -- only three of whom are demonstrably left-wing Democrats who would rather take poison than vote Republican, while the fourth actually, on occasion, may be as far right as the ghost of Nelson Rockefeller.

Sorry, but I don't see anyone else in the GnOP field that can last out the shenanigans. When the Primaries start it is going to be a race between Perry and Romney. It seems VERY unlikely that Perry is going to be able to overcome his stumbling out of the gate. He might be able to do some damage to Reversible Mittens, but Romney will still come out ahead in the end.

Sorry, but I don't see anyone else in the GnOP field that can last out the shenanigans. When the Primaries start it is going to be a race between Perry and Romney. It seems VERY unlikely that Perry is going to be able to overcome his stumbling out of the gate. He might be able to do some damage to Reversible Mittens, but Romney will still come out ahead in the end.

"Reversable Mittens?" Can I use that?

I don't worry so much about Perry's "Stumbling out of the gate". People had declared John McCain dead in September 2007, and he came back to win the nomination.

And crap, Cain could pull it off. Stranger things have happened. I could even see scenarioes where Cain goes all the way. He's honestly refreshing compared to all these politicians and their "no, we can't" attitudes.

I think the key thing is that Romney has spent 5 years doing this, and he's never really risen above the 21-26% mark in polls. The "Not Romney" vote has fluctuated between Trump, Huckabee, Bachmann, Perry and now Cain, but it's still the "not Romney" vote. Eventually, they will settle on a "Not Romney".

Oh yes his support is overwhelming.................

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4069-gv102711dapr20111027024532.jpg

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4070-kn102711dapr20111026024515.jpg

"Reversable Mittens?" Can I use that?

I don't worry so much about Perry's "Stumbling out of the gate". People had declared John McCain dead in September 2007, and he came back to win the nomination.

And crap, Cain could pull it off. Stranger things have happened. I could even see scenarioes where Cain goes all the way. He's honestly refreshing compared to all these politicians and their "no, we can't" attitudes.

I think the key thing is that Romney has spent 5 years doing this, and he's never really risen above the 21-26% mark in polls. The "Not Romney" vote has fluctuated between Trump, Huckabee, Bachmann, Perry and now Cain, but it's still the "not Romney" vote. Eventually, they will settle on a "Not Romney".

Of course you can use it...I stole it from somewhere else myself ;)

Do you really want to compare Perry to McCain? McCain had more going for him than Perry does, but still managed to lose. Perry has to appeal to more than just the base and I don't see a lot of independents falling over themselves to support Perry...especially with his current ludicrous tax plan.

Reversible Mittens, who at times has been more pro gay rights and more pro choice than Ted Kennedy, can appeal to the moderates in the party. I don't see that happening with the blowhard Texas Governor.

Nobody wants to eat the repackaged dog food that is Mitt Romney, but I think he's going to be the only bag left in the cupboard.

P.S. Cain's not really running...he's selling his book and working to get higher speaking fees...

Last edited:
So if Romney wins, Obama is not going to run on his record.

Personally, if we have Obama running from his own record, I think we are in a strong position regardless what attacks they make.

Oh yes his support is overwhelming.................

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4069-gv102711dapr20111027024532.jpg

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4070-kn102711dapr20111026024515.jpg

:lol: Good ones.

Personally, if we have Obama running from his own record, I think we are in a strong position regardless what attacks they make.

President Obama's record is fine. It will be better when we get out of Iraq. Hopefully he wises up about Afghanistan too and STOPS listening to the Generals.

Great article, worth the read...

Articles: The Premature Coronation of Romney

But this member of the CBS panel couldn't stop there, and she proceeded to give the Verdi aria rendition of how Obama's campaign will trash Romney once he's nominated: " ... to paint Mitt Romney as Wall Street's best friend. I heard from David Plouffe, the President's senior advisor, that there is, of course, growing anger at Wall Street amongst independents, Republicans, and, of course, Democrats. They're going to paint Mitt Romney as a Wall Street sympathizer, someone who wants to roll back Wall Street reforms, who in the debate with Julianna this past week said that he is against a payroll tax, calling it a band-aid." And on and on.

Norah seems to have forgotten the plan. First get him nominated. Then savage him.

So there you have the kind of discussion that passes for disinterested, high-quality political analysis by CBS News, undisputed king of the MSM. Their panel's conclusion: Mitt Romney -- nary a primary vote having been cast nor a delegate selected, mired at 21% in the polls after a campaign of antediluvian vintage (and actually trailing Herman Cain's 25%) -- is a virtual lock for the GOP nomination.

And note: This conclusion comes from CBS's uncommonly balanced group of four panelists -- only three of whom are demonstrably left-wing Democrats who would rather take poison than vote Republican, while the fourth actually, on occasion, may be as far right as the ghost of Nelson Rockefeller.

Cain is not a serious candidate. Heck..he's doing a book tour along with his Presidential campaign. And he's constantly saying ridiculous things.

Obama wasn't going to run on his record anyway... although if the economy keeps going the way it's been going in the last few weeks, he might have a fig leaf to cover himself with.

Obama is going to run on blaming Wall Street for the mess and for not doing enough to put America back to work- both of which are perfectly valid arguments.

And the GOP would just be obliging him by running the Weird Mormon Robot, a guy who made his fortune screwing working folks, just like them.

Do you really want to compare Perry to McCain? McCain had more going for him than Perry does, but still managed to lose. Perry has to appeal to more than just the base and I don't see a lot of independents falling over themselves to support Perry...especially with his current ludicrous tax plan.

Reversible Mittens, who at times has been more pro gay rights and more pro choice than Ted Kennedy, can appeal to the moderates in the party. I don't see that happening with the blowhard Texas Governor.

Nobody wants to eat the repackaged dog food that is Mitt Romney, but I think he's going to be the only bag left in the cupboard.

P.S. Cain's not really running...he's selling his book and working to get higher speaking fees...

I wouldn't entirely discount Cain. He might be on the cusp of a movement. He's got one thing going for him, he's likable. You like him even if you disagree with him. The voters are fickle. Heck, Ross Perot got 19% of the vote and he was nuts.

Mittens isn't likable even if you agree with him.

For Perry, you put too much on "Moderates". Safe Moderates end up losing more often than they win. What people like to see is certitude. "I disagree with the guy, but he seems sure of himself."

Now I think Mittens will get the nomination, because the establishment has too much invested in him, and they'd rather lose to Obama in November than lose within the party.

Obama is in a lot better shape than Carter was, and the GOP aint got no Reagan.

Well, the economy is in worse shape than Carter had, but Obama doesn't have a fiasco like the Iran Hostage crisis making him look inept and weak.

So I would say it's a wash.

But if Obama only wins because the GOP field is so lame, that doesn't exactly bode well for a second term, does it? I mean, he might win, but he'll be facing a GOP Congress just looking for an excuse to impeach, and you have Solyhndra, Fast and Furious and Blago stewing in a jail cell as his memory gets better.

Have any of you considered the idea that the GOP is just executing their master plan to control all three branches of government by 2016?

This plan began almost 50 years ago.........and is just about to come to fruition. It all started with a forged birth certificate and a couple of birth announcements in a Hawaii newspaper........and now they are purposefully fielding candidates who cannot defeat the man in a down economy......sure that he'll screw up so badly that a Democrat won't win an election ever again.

It is genius!

Have any of you considered the idea that the GOP is just executing their master plan to control all three branches of government by 2016?

This plan began almost 50 years ago.........and is just about to come to fruition. It all started with a forged birth certificate and a couple of birth announcements in a Hawaii newspaper........and now they are purposefully fielding candidates who cannot defeat the man in a down economy......sure that he'll screw up so badly that a Democrat won't win an election ever again.

It is genius!

Your sarcasm aside, it does seem like the GOP isn't putting its best foot forward.

I think that there are other candidates they could have run that would have been much stronger, but they don't have the name recognition. Mitch Daniels would have been an awesome candidate, but a lot of people don't know who he is or what a great job he's done in Indiana.

But I think the truth is much simpler. The GOP has a long standing notion of "It his turn". If you've run before or been on the national ticket before, it's your turn the next time.

Nixon, Reagan, Bush-41, Dole, McCain had all either run before or been on the ticket before. Bush-43 benefited from his father's legacy and Jerry Ford happened to be the incumbant. You have to go all the way back to Ike to find a time when the GOP took a header.

By contrast, the Democrats have a policy of "shooting their wounded". If you came in second or third last time, they don't want to see you again. The only reboot from the 2004 cycle to run in 2008 was John Edwards, and he imploded pretty quickly.

My own opinion, the Republican method leads to pretty awful candidates. If a candidate was so flawed last time he lost the nomination, what makes him so great this time?

They carry it a step further in that if someone actually defies the establishment by winning an early contest, they concentrate on demolishing that person. Huckabee in 2008 or Pat Buchanan in 1996.

The establishment wants Romney because they think he's been vetted. There isn't going to be something that's going to come out about him that hasn't already come out. The flaw in that thinking is that a lot of really damning stuff is out there on him, but most voters aren't aware of it, because they've either forgotten or because they didn't pay that much attention to the GOP contest last time.

But the reality is, Romney just isn't that good of a candidate. Last time, he only won 3 primaries in states he should have won and wasn't challenged in. He was running behind Democratic Challengers by double digits in Massachusetts for a second term in 2006, and he lost to Ted Kennedy by 17 points when Kennedy pointed out how he screwed up a bunch of people's lives with his sleazy business deals.

Oh, yeah, and he belongs to a religion that a lot of people consider just plain weird.

I wouldn't entirely discount Cain. He might be on the cusp of a movement. He's got one thing going for him, he's likable. You like him even if you disagree with him. The voters are fickle. Heck, Ross Perot got 19% of the vote and he was nuts.

Mittens isn't likable even if you agree with him.

For Perry, you put too much on "Moderates". Safe Moderates end up losing more often than they win. What people like to see is certitude. "I disagree with the guy, but he seems sure of himself."

Now I think Mittens will get the nomination, because the establishment has too much invested in him, and they'd rather lose to Obama in November than lose within the party.

Cain's likability has just made him the GnOP flavor of the month. He's Trump, Bachmann, Perry, etc. His popularity is as fleeting as his book sales. Of course he knows this which is why he has abandoned his "campaign" to sell his books while his popularity is up.

While I don't discount the "strong and wrong" attitude that would give Perry any kind of footing, people's memories aren't THAT short and he's too much like Bush on a gut level. He might have the money to keep chipping away at Romney, but Romney is still going to be last man standing.

In the General, Reversible Mitten's religion isn't going to matter, but his flip flopping and policies will.

Sorry Republicans....but Romney is your only credible candidate

You did see the other guys running didn't you?

Cain's likability has just made him the GnOP flavor of the month. He's Trump, Bachmann, Perry, etc. His popularity is as fleeting as his book sales. Of course he knows this which is why he has abandoned his "campaign" to sell his books while his popularity is up.

While I don't discount the "strong and wrong" attitude that would give Perry any kind of footing, people's memories aren't THAT short and he's too much like Bush on a gut level. He might have the money to keep chipping away at Romney, but Romney is still going to be last man standing.

In the General, Reversible Mitten's religion isn't going to matter, but his flip flopping and policies will.

You see, I don't see Romney as the last man standing, unless the establishment cheats.

Today George Will wrote column ripping him a new one.

I also think your boy Obama is going to use the religion issue. I think we are going to see a whole bunch of his enablers in the MSM, the same ones who excused Reverand Wright, treat us to a whole bunch "Damn, are those Mormons weird, or what?" stories.

I could also see a third party evolving. Usually, when you have two awful choices, they do.

Forum List

Back