Romney's Premature Coronation...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JoeB131, Oct 28, 2011.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    Great article, worth the read...

Articles: The Premature Coronation of Romney

But this member of the CBS panel couldn't stop there, and she proceeded to give the Verdi aria rendition of how Obama's campaign will trash Romney once he's nominated: " ... to paint Mitt Romney as Wall Street's best friend. I heard from David Plouffe, the President's senior advisor, that there is, of course, growing anger at Wall Street amongst independents, Republicans, and, of course, Democrats. They're going to paint Mitt Romney as a Wall Street sympathizer, someone who wants to roll back Wall Street reforms, who in the debate with Julianna this past week said that he is against a payroll tax, calling it a band-aid." And on and on.

Norah seems to have forgotten the plan. First get him nominated. Then savage him.

So there you have the kind of discussion that passes for disinterested, high-quality political analysis by CBS News, undisputed king of the MSM. Their panel's conclusion: Mitt Romney -- nary a primary vote having been cast nor a delegate selected, mired at 21% in the polls after a campaign of antediluvian vintage (and actually trailing Herman Cain's 25%) -- is a virtual lock for the GOP nomination.

And note: This conclusion comes from CBS's uncommonly balanced group of four panelists -- only three of whom are demonstrably left-wing Democrats who would rather take poison than vote Republican, while the fourth actually, on occasion, may be as far right as the ghost of Nelson Rockefeller.

2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,045
    Nobody consistently polling at 25% is a lock.

3. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Sorry, but I don't see anyone else in the GnOP field that can last out the shenanigans. When the Primaries start it is going to be a race between Perry and Romney. It seems VERY unlikely that Perry is going to be able to overcome his stumbling out of the gate. He might be able to do some damage to Reversible Mittens, but Romney will still come out ahead in the end.

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    "Reversable Mittens?" Can I use that?

I don't worry so much about Perry's "Stumbling out of the gate". People had declared John McCain dead in September 2007, and he came back to win the nomination.

And crap, Cain could pull it off. Stranger things have happened. I could even see scenarioes where Cain goes all the way. He's honestly refreshing compared to all these politicians and their "no, we can't" attitudes.

I think the key thing is that Romney has spent 5 years doing this, and he's never really risen above the 21-26% mark in polls. The "Not Romney" vote has fluctuated between Trump, Huckabee, Bachmann, Perry and now Cain, but it's still the "not Romney" vote. Eventually, they will settle on a "Not Romney".

5. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Oh yes his support is overwhelming.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Of course you can use it...I stole it from somewhere else myself ;)

Do you really want to compare Perry to McCain? McCain had more going for him than Perry does, but still managed to lose. Perry has to appeal to more than just the base and I don't see a lot of independents falling over themselves to support Perry...especially with his current ludicrous tax plan.

Reversible Mittens, who at times has been more pro gay rights and more pro choice than Ted Kennedy, can appeal to the moderates in the party. I don't see that happening with the blowhard Texas Governor.

Nobody wants to eat the repackaged dog food that is Mitt Romney, but I think he's going to be the only bag left in the cupboard.

P.S. Cain's not really running...he's selling his book and working to get higher speaking fees...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,896
    romney is gonna be the gop guy it does seem.....

i think that will give the election to obama if he is the democratic candidate

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    So if Romney wins, Obama is not going to run on his record.

Personally, if we have Obama running from his own record, I think we are in a strong position regardless what attacks they make.

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    :lol: Good ones.

10. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    President Obama's record is fine. It will be better when we get out of Iraq. Hopefully he wises up about Afghanistan too and STOPS listening to the Generals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1