Romney to Reid: Put up or Shut Up

YAY! Go for that old bastards throat Governor. Now that senile old prick is saying "the words out that Romney didn't pay his taxes". Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. He starts the rumour and then says the words out.

From an interview with Hannity:

But Romney forcefully denied Reid's allegations on Hannity's radio show Thursday.

"Harry’s going to have to describe who it is he spoke with, because, of course, that is totally and completely wrong," Romney said. "It’s untrue, dishonest and inaccurate. It’s wrong.

But here's the part I really love:eusa_angel:

"So, I’m looking forward to have Harry reveal his sources, and we will probably find out it’s the White House."

Read more: Romney to Reid: 'Put up or shut up' on source of 'untrue' tax claims | Fox News

Stupid move by the Governor. He's giving the story legs. I don't think he is being counseled very well.

Stupid move by Romney for defending something so ridiculous... You cannot be serious.

I accept that it is clear to you. It is not clear to me at all. As far as whether Romney can be as vicious as Reid is being, I refer you again to Politifact's list of false statements by Romney. Reid's statements may be poorly sourced and provocative: many of Romney's statements have been demonstrably false and/or inflammatory.

A gov't employee releasing taxpayer information
of any type is usually a crime

26 USC § 6103 - CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLOSURE OF RETURNS AND RETURN INFORMATION

Returns and return information shall be confidential, and except as authorized by this title—
(1) no officer or employee of the United States,
(2) no officer or employee of any State, any local law enforcement agency receiving information under subsection (i)(7)(A), any local child support enforcement agency, or any local agency administering a program listed in subsection (l)(7)(D) who has or had access to returns or return information under this section or section 6104 (c), and
(3) no other person (or officer or employee thereof) who has or had access to returns or return information under subsection (e)(1)(D)(iii), paragraph (6), (10), (12), (16), (19), (20), or (21) of subsection (l), paragraph (2) or (4)(B) of subsection (m), orsubsection (n),
shall disclose any return or return information obtained by him in any manner in connection with his service as such an officer or an employee or otherwise or under the provisions of this section. For purposes of this subsection, the term “officer or employee” includes a former officer or employee.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, since I don't understand the connection between your statement and mine. I also don't understand the significance of your statement. Are you suggesting that Reid broke the law? If so, could you clarify which sections/subsections you are invoking? I haven't read the entire law of course, but it would seem to prevent Reid from repeating information he had obtained from federal sources such as the IRS or FBI, none of the sections I see say anything about whether he can repeat information he obtained from private sources.

I just did
shall disclose any return or return information obtained by him in any manner in connection with his service as such an officer or an employee or otherwise or under the provisions of this section. For purposes of this subsection, the term “officer or employee” includes a former officer or employee.
As I said
A gov't employee releasing taxpayer information
of any type is usually a crime

Perhaps you can quote the law where a gov't
employee is allowed to release tax payer information
without permission

Last edited:
YAY! Go for that old bastards throat Governor. Now that senile old prick is saying "the words out that Romney didn't pay his taxes". Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. He starts the rumour and then says the words out.

From an interview with Hannity:

But Romney forcefully denied Reid's allegations on Hannity's radio show Thursday.

"Harry’s going to have to describe who it is he spoke with, because, of course, that is totally and completely wrong," Romney said. "It’s untrue, dishonest and inaccurate. It’s wrong.

But here's the part I really love:eusa_angel:

"So, I’m looking forward to have Harry reveal his sources, and we will probably find out it’s the White House."

Read more: Romney to Reid: 'Put up or shut up' on source of 'untrue' tax claims | Fox News
Actually the most likely source is Reid's best bud and fellow Senator John McCain, who first of all we know HAS the goods and secondly would hate to see Willard Mitt, rhymes with ...., succeed where he had just failed in 2008!!!!

I have to agree with candycorn: I think it is very odd that Romney is challenging Reid to produce evidence. Romney could have simply (and fairly) criticized Reid for repeating unsupported hearsay. Instead he gives Reid the opportunity to simply retort with something like:

"I can't say who the person was because I would be betraying a confidence. You, on the other hand, can prove or disprove the allegations simply by releasing your own returns in accordance with tradition. You have called me a liar (since I said my source was a Bain investor and you say it was probably the White House) and you have the documents to prove your allegations. Let the American people judge which of us is the liar."

No one with two brain cells to rub together is going to swallow that horseshit. In all Obama's previous elections, the David Axelrod playbook has been this: don't debate the issues. Just get your opponent's divorce records unsealed and then use your media allies to blast the public with all the sordid details. Even better, knock your opponent out of the race entirely.

However, in this election Obama's opponent has been married to the same women. There is no messy divorce, so they have to resort to special measures. That's why they are trying to make the tax records into a big issue. The last thing they want to do is debate the issue, so they will hammer on the tax records. They will keep whining about the tax records until election day.

Reid's statements aren't slanderous and I seriously doubt that they violate any rule of Senatorial ethics. I suspect you are not familiar with the type of discourse which has more or less routinely passed through the Senate floor.

As an aside, even if Reid's remarks from the Senate floor would normally be slanderous he could not be successfully sued. Congress has passed laws that renders its members largely immune from slander and libel suits stemming from remarks they make as part of their official duties (see, eg, Court says Murtha can't be sued - John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com). That's part of the reason that Joe McCarthy was able to make so many false and defaming accusations without facing legal consequences.

Yeah, and that's why Harry Reid made his remarks from the Senate floor: so he wouldn't be sued. That fact makes him appear even sleazier.

Actually the most likely source is Reid's best bud and fellow Senator John McCain, who first of all we know HAS the goods and secondly would hate to see Willard Mitt, rhymes with ...., succeed where he had just failed in 2008!!!!

How would McCain know anything about Romney's tax returns?

I'd like to see this play out, and if Reid doesn't have anything more than some speculation, Romney should sue his old ass for defamation.

As I noted earlier in this thread, such a suit would be unsuccessful for a number of reasons. I also think it would be horrible political strategy for Romney, prolonging a story that at its core is about what is in Romney's tax returns rather than, say, Romney's plan for America.

The Obama campaign and its media allies are going to prolong this as long as they can regardless of what Romney does.

Who do you think you're kidding?

We all know Reid is not going to tell us who his so called source is which begs the question what is Reid hiding? My guess is that there is no source and Reid is lying through his teeth.

And we all know Romney is not going to release his tax returns which begs the question what is Romney hiding?

This is why Romney should NOT release another piece of paper.
Mitt Romney presents one enormous problem for Barack Obama’s campaign: No divorce records. That’s why the media are so hot to get their hands on Romney’s tax records for the past 25 years. They need something to “pick through, distort and lie about” — as the Republican candidate says.
Obama’s usual campaign method, used in 100 percent of his races, has been to pry into the private records of his opponents.
Democrats aren’t going to find any personal dirt on the clean-cut Mormon, so they need complicated tax filings going back decades in order to create the illusion of scandal out of boring financial records.

Obama’s Signature Move: Unsealing Private Records | FrontPage Magazine
Yeah, just like he did with Hillary Clinton.... no wait a minute, just like he did with John McCain.... no wait a minute, oh shit it's still 100% by CON$ervoFascist fuzzy math. :cuckoo:

I have to agree with candycorn: I think it is very odd that Romney is challenging Reid to produce evidence. Romney could have simply (and fairly) criticized Reid for repeating unsupported hearsay. Instead he gives Reid the opportunity to simply retort with something like:

"I can't say who the person was because I would be betraying a confidence. You, on the other hand, can prove or disprove the allegations simply by releasing your own returns in accordance with tradition. You have called me a liar (since I said my source was a Bain investor and you say it was probably the White House) and you have the documents to prove your allegations. Let the American people judge which of us is the liar."

Romney should call for a Senatr investigation. Everyone including Reid will testify under oath and Romney will access to discovery.

Video: Jon Stewart Slams Harry Reid For Mitt Romney Tax Returns Statements - Business Insider

Reid told The Huffington Post on Tuesday that an unnamed Bain investor told him that Romney hadn't paid taxes in 10 years, but Reid also acknowledged he didn't know if this was true. Reid went on to speculate that his "poor father must be so embarrassed about his son," referencing the fact that George Romney released more than 12 years of tax returns when he ran for president in 1968.

"I cannot believe you just went dead-dad shame on Mitt Romney," Stewart said. "As someone who has truly and thoroughly disappointed his still-living father on many occasions, that is bulls**t shot."

There's a video of the Jon Stewart segment on the linked page.
That video was hilarious......the Huff Po is the side boob gazette.....LOLOL

We all know Reid is not going to tell us who his so called source is which begs the question what is Reid hiding? My guess is that there is no source and Reid is lying through his teeth.

And we all know Romney is not going to release his tax returns which begs the question what is Romney hiding?

WE all know that Obama isn't going to release his college records, so what is he hiding?

this is why romney should not release another piece of paper.
mitt romney presents one enormous problem for barack obama’s campaign: No divorce records. That’s why the media are so hot to get their hands on romney’s tax records for the past 25 years. They need something to “pick through, distort and lie about” — as the republican candidate says.
Obama’s usual campaign method, used in 100 percent of his races, has been to pry into the private records of his opponents.
democrats aren’t going to find any personal dirt on the clean-cut mormon, so they need complicated tax filings going back decades in order to create the illusion of scandal out of boring financial records.

obama’s signature move: Unsealing private records | frontpage magazine

bingo!

Ahhhh yes, the perpetual dumb act from the people who claim to be the most informed. Willard Mitt, rhymes with ...., gave them to McCain in 2008 while McCain vetted him and then rejected him for VP, as you well know.

Ahhhh yes, the perpetual dumb act from the people who claim to be the most informed. Willard Mitt, rhymes with ...., gave them to McCain in 2008 while McCain vetted him and then rejected him for VP, as you well know.

He was rejected, you know this and why he was rejected as well? DAM I know lots of republicans in TN, including some high level ones, and havent heard this....hmmmmmmmm

No one with two brain cells to rub together is going to swallow that horseshit. In all Obama's previous elections, the David Axelrod playbook has been this: don't debate the issues. Just get your opponent's divorce records unsealed and then use your media allies to blast the public with all the sordid details. Even better, knock your opponent out of the race entirely.

However, in this election Obama's opponent has been married to the same women. There is no messy divorce, so they have to resort to special measures. That's why they are trying to make the tax records into a big issue. The last thing they want to do is debate the issue, so they will hammer on the tax records. They will keep whining about the tax records until election day.

You seem to be trying to introduce a broad and entirely unrelated topic from another thread here. Let me say briefly that I think it is a little absurd to say that Axelrod has tried to use opponent divorce records in all of Obama's previous elections. I don't recall anything of the sort in Obama's campaigns against Clinton or McCain.

When you say that Romney has been married to "the same women" are you suggesting that Romney is a crypto-polygamist or did you mean to say "the same woman"?

Forum List

Back