Romney says he would deport Obama's uncle

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
Romney has the toughest stance on illegal immigration besides Bachmann. One of the reasons he has my vote!

Romney says he would deport Obama's uncle - Yahoo! News

Charlie Rose Show -- December 19

Rose: The one issue with some people - that I know who know you - believe that you have

made one decision that they think is the politically expedient one, rather than one they expected

from you is obviously the issue of immigration. And they look at that and say, the Mitt

Romney I know is not prepared to send people back – that's not who he is. And that the man

who attacked governor Perry from the get-go is not who the Mitt Romney is that I know. He

must have done that for political reasons. And, he must have done it with some full

understanding that he might put at risk Hispanic voters too.
Romney: Well, they don't know me very well, then, because I believe in following the law,

and supporting the law. I am also compassionate. But the idea – and this is the same position I

have had, by the way, four years ago – my posture on illegal immigration is almost to the word

– I try and make it to the word - exactly what I said four years ago – and that is those who have

come here illegally should not be given a special pathway – a favored pathway – to become

permanent residents – merely by virtue of having come here illegally. That they should be in line

with everybody – they should be given the opportunity to get in line with everybody else – but

the go to the back of the line. That those who are waiting in line...
Rose (interrupts): To go to the back of the line means what to them?
Romney: Well, it means that they apply for a Green Card – just like the other people who

have applied for a Green Card.
(Talking over each other)
Romney: I would have a temporary period for people to arrange their affairs --- but

ultimately they would go home...

Rose: The one issue with some people - that I know who know you - believe that you have

made one decision that they think is the politically expedient one, rather than one they expected

from you is obviously the issue of immigration. And they look at that and say, the Mitt

Romney I know is not prepared to send people back – that's not who he is. And that the man

who attacked governor Perry from the get-go is not who the Mitt Romney is that I know. He

must have done that for political reasons. And, he must have done it with some full

understanding that he might put at risk Hispanic voters too.
Romney: Well, they don't know me very well, then, because I believe in following the law,

and supporting the law. I am also compassionate. But the idea – and this is the same position I

have had, by the way, four years ago – my posture on illegal immigration is almost to the word

– I try and make it to the word - exactly what I said four years ago – and that is those who have

come here illegally should not be given a special pathway – a favored pathway – to become

permanent residents – merely by virtue of having come here illegally. That they should be in line

with everybody – they should be given the opportunity to get in line with everybody else – but

the go to the back of the line. That those who are waiting in line...
Rose (interrupts): To go to the back of the line means what to them?
Romney: Well, it means that they apply for a Green Card – just like the other people who

have applied for a Green Card.
(Talking over each other)
Romney: I would have a temporary period for people to arrange their affairs --- but

ultimately they would go home.

Rose: So you are sending them back. They have go back – there is no amnesty – which does

not put you at red one with the majority of Republicans when you go to the polls. But there is

no amnesty, you've got to go back.
(Garbled talk-over)
Rose: As you know that is a different view from the Speaker that somebody who has been

here 25 years and we don't want to send them back and they have families and have been in

school. You are prepared to send them back. And people say I can't believe that's the same

Romney I know.
Romney: I will give people the transition period of time for them to make preparations to –

If someone has been here 25 years obviously that transition period of time is far more

substantial than someone who has been here six months. And so people have a transition time.

But I have to turn this around and ask the question in this way which is – How about all the

people who have waited in their home country legally to come here? Family members wanting

them to come here. I want those people to come. I would like to make the immigration process

more transparent and easier for those that want to come here legally and for that to happen we're

not going to say we're going to do anything that encourages people to come here illegally. If

we start talking about amnesty and saying that certain people who have been here a long time –

if you can hide long enough then you can get a Green Card – you create a magnet that

encourages people to come here illegally. Let's create an immigration system that works. Let's let

people in that we desperately want and need legally. That's what America wants to see. And

those that are here illegally – they should be given the same privilege as t hose who are waiting

in line, by getting back in line.

Forum List

Back