Rising Sea Levels Reshape Miami’s Housing Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmm. How can sea level rise faster around that small area? What is the mechanism for that incredibly localized "rise".
My post #16 in THIS String you Clown: It's the SE USA, not just Miami.

""https://gizmodo.com/why-are-sea-levels-in-miami-rising-so-much-faster-than-1797733450

Sea levels in South Florida have gone up about a Foot since the 1930s, but around 2011, the slow upward creep of the ocean seemed to kick into high gear, with tidal gauges recording much faster rates of sea level rise and residents noting a stark uptick in so-called “nuisance” floods.

A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations: From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20, and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible.
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an inch of sea level [rise] a year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People noticed that.”"​

Gravity is not even, and we live on a spinning ball.

You are beneath debate, and haven't read (or Comprehended) the string.
PLEASE do not respond or I will be forced to Continue Embarrassing you.
`

Ummmm, SOUTH FLORIDA is pretty localized dude. Why is it that all of these alarms are only coming from computer modeled "studies"? There are no studies that actually use unaltered raw data. They all run them through a computer homologation computer programs, that ALL alter the data to read what they want them to. To date, when photographs are compared of shorelines 100 years ago to the present day there is no visible change. This is true all over the world.

The ONLY place where sea level rise is registered is in computer models. And, as anyone who understand science will tell you, computer models are not factual. They are fiction derived, and biased by, the people who program them.

Hmm. How can sea level rise faster around that small area? What is the mechanism for that incredibly localized "rise".

""https://gizmodo.com/why-are-sea-levels-in-miami-rising-so-much-faster-than-1797733450

Sea levels in South Florida have gone up about a Foot since the 1930s, but around 2011, the slow upward creep of the ocean seemed to kick into high gear, with tidal gauges recording much faster rates of sea level rise and residents noting a stark uptick in so-called “nuisance” floods.

A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations: From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20, and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible.
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an inch of sea level [rise] a year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People noticed that.”"​

`

Ummmm, SOUTH FLORIDA is pretty localized dude. Why is it that all of these alarms are only coming from computer modeled "studies"? There are no studies that actually use unaltered raw data. They all run them through a computer homologation computer programs, that ALL alter the data to read what they want them to. To date, when photographs are compared of shorelines 100 years ago to the present day there is no visible change. This is true all over the world.

The ONLY place where sea level rise is registered is in computer models. And, as anyone who understand science will tell you, computer models are not factual. They are fiction derived, and biased by, the people who program them.
Er.. OK..
I'll embarass you again.
Listen You ******* *****.

My post said the "SOUTHEASTERN USA," Not just Miami and NOT just "South Florida".

What can one say to someone as ******* ****** as you?
Who Can't read, and continually MISQUOTES, or has zero reading comprehension.

I'm going to take this up with an admin.
You are Not a viable or coherent participant here.
Bye.
`

Last edited:
Nibblin' on sponge cake,
watchin' the sun bake;
All those deniers addicted to oil
Sucking the CO , and Big oil BS
Tempers in Congress begining to boil

Wasted away in the Oilocracy
Claiming all alt energy shill gain
Same folks claim middle east is insane
But I know my addiction ain't changed

Some think it's treason, Redfords lost reason
With all his tar sands spillage ado
I liked him as sundance, so i gave him a chance
But wonder if he's got the slightest of clues.

Wasted away again in Oilocracy,
Searchin' through those kocktopus vaults.
Some people claim them cannuck pipelines ashame
But I know..... it's my SUV's fault.

I love when they flip flop,
and claim we're all on top
Tell us the troops will be coming back home.
But there's crude in the pipeline
And soon it will refine
That dark brown concoction that helps me drive on.

Wasted away again in Oilocracy,
Listening to them oilman explain
Some people claim climate change is their blame
But I know ......it's all just a game
Yes i know..... it's all just a game

{w/apologies to parrotheads everywhere}

~S~

That is simply horrible! Blasphemy!

Absolutely if I can sell it in 30.. If it can't stand 1.8" of supposed "global warming" SLRise, you're gonna be DEAD MEAT...
LOLuddite!

https://gizmodo.com/why-are-sea-levels-in-miami-rising-so-much-faster-than-1797733450

A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations: From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20, and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an inch of sea level [rise] a year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People noticed that.”

[png] Image/Graph won't post but Link:
https://www.greenpolicy360.net/mw/images/Sea_level_rise_Miami_area_tide_data_1996-2015.png

`

Miami could get a 25-foot tidal wave any year out of the century.

Absolutely if I can sell it in 30.. If it can't stand 1.8" of supposed "global warming" SLRise, you're gonna be DEAD MEAT...
LOLuddite!

https://gizmodo.com/why-are-sea-levels-in-miami-rising-so-much-faster-than-1797733450

A new study confirms that this was not Floridians’ imaginations: From 2011 to at least 2015, the rate of sea level rise across the Southeastern US shot up by a factor of Six, from 3-4 millimeters a year to 20, and a combination of oceanic and atmospheric processes seem to be responsible
[.....]
“The Miami area started getting almost an inch of sea level [rise] a year,” Hal Wanless, a coastal geologist at the University of Miami, told Gizmodo. “People noticed that.”

[png] Image/Graph won't post but Link:
https://www.greenpolicy360.net/mw/images/Sea_level_rise_Miami_area_tide_data_1996-2015.png

`

`

You seem into this.

The weight of the High-Rise condos are sinking S. FL. :eek:

Yeah but s0n......nobody cares about this. Nobody gives a crap about a few millimeter rise in the sea level. Debate about this is nothing more than an exercise in group navel contemplation.

Show me where anywhere outside the little science club is caring? Besides the internet science ocds, people could not possibly be any less interested in this. And the reason is obvious..... because people know we can't do dick about it.

But knock yourself out I guess.....

Little bit of advice s0n.... go check any major poll from Pew, Rasmussen or Gallup.... that's only on voter concerns. Check what concern is consistently at the very bottom of the list....:113::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
Your posts are funny as well, as Full of Crap.
You alternate between "noboby cares" and making the vast majhority of your posts in the section.

In case you missed it, Sea level is rising 6x faster in the Southeast and Miami, and EVERYONE has noticed.
Every major SE Coastal City, including smaller one as I live in, Cares... and is doing things about it.

`

Hurricanes? Storms? If you look at old tidal data -- all those effects are apparently there. THe web is in the middle of a PURGE of all tidal gauge data and NOAA/others are decomissioning the stations as fast as they can. This is from SOREL for Miami Beach. Looks like bi-monthly data.

363_high.png

I'm betting ALL those peaks are hurricanes, TStorms. BTW --- NOAA site now restricts downloading tide gauge data to only 30 day periods.. Call your representative.

Yeah but s0n......nobody cares about this. Nobody gives a crap about a few millimeter rise in the sea level. Debate about this is nothing more than an exercise in group navel contemplation.

Show me where anywhere outside the little science club is caring? Besides the internet science ocds, people could not possibly be any less interested in this. And the reason is obvious..... because people know we can't do dick about it.

But knock yourself out I guess.....

Little bit of advice s0n.... go check any major poll from Pew, Rasmussen or Gallup.... that's only on voter concerns. Check what concern is consistently at the very bottom of the list....:113::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
Your posts are funny as well, as Full of Crap.
You alternate between "noboby cares" and making the vast majhority of your posts in the section.

In case you missed it, Sea level is rising 6x faster in the Southeast and Miami, and EVERYONE has noticed.
Every major SE Coastal City, including smaller one as I live in, Cares... and is doing things about it.

`

Hurricanes? Storms? If you look at old tidal data -- all those effects are apparently there. THe web is in the middle of a PURGE of all tidal gauge data and NOAA/others are decomissioning the stations as fast as they can. This is from SOREL for Miami Beach. Looks like bi-monthly data.

363_high.png

I'm betting ALL those peaks are hurricanes, TStorms. BTW --- NOAA site now restricts downloading tide gauge data to only 30 day periods.. Call your representative.

Yup. The amount of data restriction, and outright refusal to share it (which is a direct violation of the Scientific Method) certainly raises my hackles.

If you look at old tidal data -
Wow!!!! I wonder if scientists thought of this!

Have you emailed them?!?!?!?!

Can't.. They are purging the historical records from the net. I'd have to go to Vandy and use my access to find it there. But SOON --- Universities will ONLY have what's on the net.

The NEW records MERGE T-gauge with satellite WITHOUT resolving the question of disagreements.

MAYBE you can go back on the InternetTimeMachine and work to find the 150 yr records that they are wiping out. I had to go to a French org to get the one above.

FCT, how about you show us some proof that historical records of this sort have been intentionally destroyed - that there is no way to access them, perhaps by driving to the institution and asking to go through their old stacks. Just because you can't find it on the net doesn't mean it no longer exists or that there is any intent to hide or destroy data.

At work, another fellow and I are scanning old paper reports into PDF files. Each of us has to review the scan to make certain no pages were missed and the whole thing is legible before storing it on three different computers. The goal of all this is to empty a four drawer safe to free up some floor space in our vault. I am certain similar reasons explain why you had to go to a French WEBSITE to find old data.

[.....]

`

"3 or 4 millimeters"

LOL

Let's face it... some people in this world just tend to the hysterical. We see it all the time.... the mental cases.

The people who hear the weather forecast for a 6 inch snow storm and they are in the grocery store loading up three baskets with a month supply of food. It's just the thinking fuck-up there's nothing you can do about it.

Fortunately for the rest of us most people are far too busy to be sitting home worried about 3 or 4 mm of sea level rise. It's not on their radar and never will be. This makes the modern progressives heads explode.... they just tend to the hysterical on stoopid shit. What can you do? But in the bigger picture their sentiments are irrelevant.... our law makers couldn't give a shit about the 3 or 4 mm.

It's this simple..... people may pay attention to climate change if and only if we see a 70° spell in Alaska in mid-January for 3 weeks.... with video of bikini-clad babes water skiing on a lake.

Until then on the 3 or 4 mm.......:bigbed:

"3 or 4 millimeters" LOL
Let's face it... some people in this world just tend to the hysterical. We see it all the time.... the mental cases.
Half your Idiotic posts in the section say nobody caress.
But most of your posts are made on USMB are in the Env/Climate section, so YOU Care.

So stop TROLLING with is Idiotic fib, as YOU care.
You are also Misrepresented in FACTS of the story that the SE USA Is getting 20mm a year/"Near an inch", and EVERYONE Cares.
Every Major East Coast City has Plans in place for dealing with the rise.
So you are Full of ****.

skookerasbil said:
It's this simple..... people may pay attention to climate change if and only if we see a 70° spell in Alaska in mid-January for 3 weeks.... with video of bikini-clad babes water skiing on a lake.
You asked for it.. you got it.
another 100% Rebuttal of a denier CLOWN.
How about 80° in Alaska.. or 90°?

It's Beach Time ... In Alaska, Where Heat Wave Breaks Records
June 19, 2013

ap921520325676_custom-14cd62a3809575379e8800e05f53658502cbc6b8-s1600-c85.jpg

In this photo taken on Monday, people swim and sunbathe at Goose Lake in Anchorage, Alaska.

Taking advantage of an intense heat wave that broke long-standing records yesterday, residents of Anchorage, Alaska, headed to the beach at Goose Lake.

As the Anchorage Daily News reports, the National Weather Service recorded a high temperature of 81° in the city, beating the previous record of 80° set in June of 1926.

The AP reports that in other spots, it got in even hotter:

"All-time highs were recorded elsewhere, including 96° on Monday 80 miles to the north in the small community of Talkeetna, purported to be the inspiration for the town in the TV series, Northern Exposure and the last stop for climbers heading to Mount McKinley, North America's tallest mountain. One unofficial reading taken at a lodge near Talkeetna even measured 98°, which would tie the highest undisputed temperature recorded in Alaska.
[.....]

Last edited:
miami flooding - Google Search

Miami is racing against time to keep up with sea-level rise
www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4
Apr 12, 2018 - Miami and Miami Beach already struggle with serious flooding related to sea-level rise — even when there is no rain. The ground under the cities of South Florida is largely porous limestone, which means water will eventually rise up through it. ... That means the rest of the US ...
You visited this page on 4/21/18.

Study shows groundwater flooding could happen more in Miami-Dade ...
www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article190900529.html
Dec 21, 2017 - South Florida’s looming sea-rise dilemma: Save drinking water or worsen flooding? ... In low-lying inland areas, floodwater quickly fills up South Florida’s Biscayne aquifer, the freshwater drinking supply just under the ground’s surface. ... But, thanks to sea level rise, that ...

High tide flooding could be daily by 2070, NOAA says | Miami Herald
www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article207511429.html
Mar 30, 2018 - Before 2010, Virginia Key's tidal gauge showed high tide floods maybe twice a year. By 2070, climate models show it could flood every single day or every other day, according to a new report from NOAA.

Miami King Tides Flooding City "Like a Hurricane" Again Today ...
www.miaminewtimes.com/.../miami-king-tides-flooding-city-like-a-hurricane-again-t...
Oct 5, 2017 - Thanks to sea-level rise, Florida's unique topography, and poor city planning, areas ofMiami-Dade County look like a hurricane hit them today. But there's not even a tropical storm in town. Instead, mere weeks after a real hurricane did damage major parts of South Florida, the Miami area is massively ...

Miami, New York, and San Francisco could flood every day by 2100 ...

Miami, New York, and San Francisco could flood daily by 2100...
Mar 8, 2018 - Flooding from ever-higher high tides may become a weekly reality for parts of the coastal US by the middle of this century, and a daily occurrence for major coastline cities by 2100, according to a report published this week by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. And that's under a relatively conservative sea-level rise scenario. The report looked only at heightening high tides, and didn’t take into account less predictable, more abrupt events, like a potential ice sheetcollapse at one of the poles. ...​
`
`

miami flooding - Google Search

Miami is racing against time to keep up with sea-level rise
www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4
Apr 12, 2018 - Miami and Miami Beach already struggle with serious flooding related to sea-level rise — even when there is no rain. The ground under the cities of South Florida is largely porous limestone, which means water will eventually rise up through it. ... That means the rest of the US ...
You visited this page on 4/21/18.

Study shows groundwater flooding could happen more in Miami-Dade ...
www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article190900529.html
Dec 21, 2017 - South Florida’s looming sea-rise dilemma: Save drinking water or worsen flooding? ... In low-lying inland areas, floodwater quickly fills up South Florida’s Biscayne aquifer, the freshwater drinking supply just under the ground’s surface. ... But, thanks to sea level rise, that ...

High tide flooding could be daily by 2070, NOAA says | Miami Herald
www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article207511429.html
Mar 30, 2018 - Before 2010, Virginia Key's tidal gauge showed high tide floods maybe twice a year. By 2070, climate models show it could flood every single day or every other day, according to a new report from NOAA.

Miami King Tides Flooding City "Like a Hurricane" Again Today ...
www.miaminewtimes.com/.../miami-king-tides-flooding-city-like-a-hurricane-again-t...
Oct 5, 2017 - Thanks to sea-level rise, Florida's unique topography, and poor city planning, areas ofMiami-Dade County look like a hurricane hit them today. But there's not even a tropical storm in town. Instead, mere weeks after a real hurricane did damage major parts of South Florida, the Miami area is massively ...

Miami, New York, and San Francisco could flood every day by 2100 ...

Miami, New York, and San Francisco could flood daily by 2100...
Mar 8, 2018 - Flooding from ever-higher high tides may become a weekly reality for parts of the coastal US by the middle of this century, and a daily occurrence for major coastline cities by 2100, according to a report published this week by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. And that's under a relatively conservative sea-level rise scenario. The report looked only at heightening high tides, and didn’t take into account less predictable, more abrupt events, like a potential ice sheetcollapse at one of the poles. ...​
`
`

OK, lets take them in order shall we?

1. This issue is caused by loss of beach sand. The sand prevents the salt water from intruding into the fresh water ground system. Once again, a well known problem.

"The second problem facing South Florida is a vexing geological one. “Our underlying geology is like Swiss cheese,” said Obeysekera.

The solid ground under South Florida — Miami, Miami Beach, the Keys, and much of the rest of the peninsula — is mostly limestone made of compressed ancient reefs that are full of tiny holes. That means salty water is rising up through the ground itself, not just in the waters surrounding Florida."

2. All we need to know is in the first sentence....

"Modeling of groundwater levels"

In other words...it ain't real.

3. Yet another model derived "study" and they use that magic word "could". Used by charlatans all over the world for centuries. Could does not mean will, no matter how hard you try to imply it does.

4. An opinion piece. So what.

5. Yet another model derived study falling back on that magic "could" yet again. In the scientific arena could means "almost certainly won't"....except in the fevered imaginations of the anti scientific religious nutjobs who push AGW.

1. This issue is caused by loss of beach sand. The sand prevents the salt water from intruding into the fresh water ground system. Once again, a well known problem.

"The second problem facing South Florida is a vexing geological one. “Our underlying geology is like Swiss cheese,” said Obeysekera...
You're a Numb nuts who should be in an institution.

Let me remind you that this is BOTH Coasts, and for the third or FOURTH Time, this is All of the USA Southeast in particular who has 6x the average rate of Sea Level Rise. (just under an inch a Year.)

Now please give the other patients a chance at the machine.
`

Last edited:
"3 or 4 millimeters" LOL
Half your Idiotic posts in the section say nobody caress.
But most of your posts are made on USMB are in the Env/Climate section, so YOU Care.

So stop TROLLING with is Idiotic fib, as YOU care.
You are also Misrepresented in FACTS of the story that the SE USA Is getting 20mm a year/"Near an inch", and EVERYONE Cares.
Every Major East Coast City has Plans in place for dealing with the rise.
So you are Full of ****.

skookerasbil said:
You asked for it.. you got it.
another 100% Rebuttal of a denier CLOWN.
How about 80° in Alaska.. or 90°?

June 19, 2013

ap921520325676_custom-14cd62a3809575379e8800e05f53658502cbc6b8-s1600-c85.jpg

In this photo taken on Monday, people swim and sunbathe at Goose Lake in Anchorage, Alaska.

Taking advantage of an intense heat wave that broke long-standing records yesterday, residents of Anchorage, Alaska, headed to the beach at Goose Lake.

As the Anchorage Daily News reports, the National Weather Service recorded a high temperature of 81° in the city, beating the previous record of 80° set in June of 1926.

The AP reports that in other spots, it got in even hotter:

"All-time highs were recorded elsewhere, including 96° on Monday 80 miles to the north in the small community of Talkeetna, purported to be the inspiration for the town in the TV series, Northern Exposure and the last stop for climbers heading to Mount McKinley, North America's tallest mountain. One unofficial reading taken at a lodge near Talkeetna even measured 98°, which would tie the highest undisputed temperature recorded in Alaska.
[.....]

Well that heat spell in Alaska sure moved people to action on climate change!!:springbed:

Only progressives.....after 20 years of trying btw....think internet message board gloating will change the landscape on people caring about the science:spinner: 20 years and a billion posts in here and nothing has changed.... the prolific losing continues.:sleep:

So maybe you're right.... probably take a winter time triple-digit heat wave in Alaska to get people to pay attention to the issue of climate change.:2up:

"The second problem facing South Florida is a vexing geological one. “Our underlying geology is like Swiss cheese,” said Obeysekera...
You're a Numb nuts who should be in an institution.

Let me remind you that this is BOTH Coasts, and for the third or FOURTH Time, this is All of the USA Southeast in particular who has 6x the average rate of Sea Level Rise. (just under an inch a Year.)

Now please give the other patients a chance at the machine.
`

No, there are only models that make that claim. Tide gauges are at best neutral. Please learn the difference between opinion, much of which is uninformed, at least on your part, and actual science.

As my linkS said, S Florida, indeed All of the Southeast, is facing a 20mm a Year rise in Sea level: 6x the planetary average.. which is itself accelerating.

South Florida’s Real Estate Reckoning Could Be Closer Than You Think
By Christopher Flavelle
December 29, 2017
Ross Hancock sold his four-bedroom house in Coral Gables, a city of pastel luxury at the edge of Miami, because he was worried that sea-level rise would eventually hurt his property’s value. He and his wife, Darlene, downsized to a small condo on Biscayne Bay, perched atop one of the highest coral ridges in the area. There, he presumed, they would be safer. - Then Hurricane Irma hit.
The September storm pushed water onshore with such force that it penetrated the seams of Hancock’s building, defeating stormproof windows and damaging a third of the units. It knocked out the elevators, ruined the generator, and flooded the parking lot. Months later the park next door remains strewn with mangled yachts hurled from from the ocean.

In a working paper posted this month on Social Science Research Network, an online repository of academic research, professors from the University of Colorado... and Penn State University found that homes exposed to sea-level rise sell at a 7% discount compared with equivalent but unexposed properties.

“This Discount has grown over time,” the authors wrote, “and is driven by sophisticated buyers and communities worried about global warming.” Properties along both coasts of Florida are at risk of sea-level rise, mapping in the paper shows.

Marla Martin, a spokeswoman for Florida Realtors, which represents the state’s real estate agents, wasn’t available to comment.[......]​
`

Last edited:
As my linkS said, S Florida, indeed All of the Southeast, is facing a 20mm a Year rise in Sea level: 6x the planetary average.. which is itself accelerating.

South Florida’s Real Estate Reckoning Could Be Closer Than You Think
By Christopher Flavelle
December 29, 2017
Ross Hancock sold his four-bedroom house in Coral Gables, a city of pastel luxury at the edge of Miami, because he was worried that sea-level rise would eventually hurt his property’s value. He and his wife, Darlene, downsized to a small condo on Biscayne Bay, perched atop one of the highest coral ridges in the area. There, he presumed, they would be safer. - Then Hurricane Irma hit.
The September storm pushed water onshore with such force that it penetrated the seams of Hancock’s building, defeating stormproof windows and damaging a third of the units. It knocked out the elevators, ruined the generator, and flooded the parking lot. Months later the park next door remains strewn with mangled yachts hurled from from the ocean.

In a working paper posted this month on Social Science Research Network, an online repository of academic research, professors from the University of Colorado... and Penn State University found that homes exposed to sea-level rise sell at a 7% discount compared with equivalent but unexposed properties.

“This Discount has grown over time,” the authors wrote, “and is driven by sophisticated buyers and communities worried about global warming.” Properties along both coasts of Florida are at risk of sea-level rise, mapping in the paper shows.

Marla Martin, a spokeswoman for Florida Realtors, which represents the state’s real estate agents, wasn’t available to comment.[......]​
`

There's that magic word "could" yet again. When will you folks learn that "could" actually means "almost certainly won't."

Sorry, there’s no such thing as ‘sea-level rise’ – ask any rightwing nitwit.

The water’s just getting wetter.
well it ain't gettin any higher that is for sure. cause if it were, you could post evidence of it.

There's that magic word "could" yet again. When will you folks learn that "could" actually means "almost certainly won't."
Hey Moron/.
This thread is about,and dopcumebnting NOW.
ACTUAL Rising Seal Level, Flooding and coastal house prices, NOW.
That's not "could" clown boy.
`

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back