Riot in China's Xinjiang leaves 16 dead

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
BEIJING: Police in China's restive far western region of Xinjiang shot dead 14 people during a riot late on Sunday in which two policemen were also killed, the regional government said on Monday.

Police were attacked by a mob throwing explosive devices and wielding knives when they went to arrest "criminal suspects" in a village near the old Silk Road city of Kashgar, the government said on its official news portal Tianshan.

Riot in China's Xinjiang leaves 16 dead - The Times of India

Something like this happens at least once a year. The Uighur are not to be trifled with and the PSB are scared of them, so they always over-respond. It's occupied territory anyway, not unlike Tibet.

Something like this happens at least once a year. The Uighur are not to be trifled with and the PSB are scared of them, so they always over-respond. It's occupied territory anyway, not unlike Tibet.

I am surprised that muslim community does not come out in the support of Uighurs the way it comes out in the support of Palestine. The oppression of muslims in Xinjiang is truly disheartening.

Last edited:

I am surprised that muslim community does not come out in the support of Uighurs the way it comes out in the support of Palestine. The oppression of muslims in Xinjiang is truly disheartening.

I suspect a lot of the more fundamentalist don't consider them 'pure' enough in their practices. I've gotten drunk with Uighurs lots of times, and if there's nothing else to eat they'll eat pork occasionally. They are hardy folks who may not fit the ideal of some pampered sheikh somewhere else.

I suspect a lot of the more fundamentalist don't consider them 'pure' enough in their practices. I've gotten drunk with Uighurs lots of times, and if there's nothing else to eat they'll eat pork occasionally. They are hardy folks who may not fit the ideal of some pampered sheikh somewhere else.

All of that *plus* the reluctance to confront the PRC, which has 25% of the world's population and is the biggest single potential market - not to mention ideologically opposed to the US and the West...

All of that *plus* the reluctance to confront the PRC, which has 25% of the world's population and is the biggest single potential market - not to mention ideologically opposed to the US and the West...

More like 20%, and not so "ideologically opposed to the US and the West."

The Chinese do not fiddle with muslim terrorists like we do.

We're still supporting a couple of them on permanent vacation in the Bahamas.

More like 20%, and not so "ideologically opposed to the US and the West."

OK, my stats are a bit old : )) As far as the 'ideologically opposed' - I was thinking more of the Muslim states' perception than an 'objetive' view.....

Forum List

Back