Rightwing backlash against smart, educated people like Dr Tyson

Dr. Tyson has defied odds that almost make it impossible to succeed.
If part of that success was predicated on his Blackness, so be it. Your opinion has no standing in the scientific community!!!!.I dare say your critique reeks of jealousy. Give this genius the credit he deserves and end this senseless rhetorical vendetta.

Tyson is no genius. He's a token.

He IS a genius. I don't know his IQ but you can bet its well over the threshold of 125; the minimum IQ requirement for a genius according to the Terman Longitudinal Study. Of course other are other personal traits to consider but Tyson seems to have them all!
So IQ matters?

Good, now we can have an honest discussion on why blacks do so miserably on the bell curve, SATs and everything else that indicates intelligence.

Tyson did indeed defy the odds. Being black and having a high IQ was the most daunting. It's a shame there are so very few and the few that are are not much revered in black culture.

Tyson is something blacks should emulate, but having said that, no one would have ever heard of him if he were white, Asian or even Hispanic.

Seriously? Are you attempting to show your moral superiority

I was pointing out your use of a fallacy. Why you've shifted the conversation to moral superiority, I'm not going to try to guess. Trying to replicate your thought processes risks madness to those who try.

against a guy that is smarter than your fucking little toe?

If you wish to brag about being smarter than my little toe, more power to you, as I certainly won't disagree that you are, indeed, smarter than my little toe. I guess you have to take whatever little victories you can get.

Newsflash, asshole, I have posted survey results that show that Democrats actually have a high percentage of Young Earth Creationists in their midst. Since my entire point is that idiots suffuse all points of the political spectrum, your attempt to accuse me of confusing the left, whatever you think that is, and Democrats is so pathetic it doesn't even rise to the point of being pathetic. In case your brain has trouble processing information, being a YEC does not make you right wing.

Repeating the fallacy in a louder voice doesn't make it less fallacious. You can keep pretending "Democrat = left", but it's still stupid on your part.

Me, not being a pretentious asshole, or morally superior to anyone, including fuckwads like you, just love sniping at idiots. If you weren't an idiot, you would join me. As it is, you sided with the idiots and tried to pawn yourself off as something you aren't.

And now you're just melting down. The amount of amusement I got out of you with one sentence was well worth the effort.

And again, congratulations on being smarter than my little toe. I'm sure you worked hard to pass that milestone, so it should be recognized, and you should brag about it.

Seriously? Are you attempting to show your moral superiority

I was pointing out your use of a fallacy. Why you've shifted the conversation to moral superiority, I'm not going to try to guess. Trying to replicate your thought processes risks madness to those who try.

As usual, you don't know what you are talking about. The only fallacy in this conversation was your straw man. I never made the equivalency you claimed I did, you just inferred it because you are a hack.

against a guy that is smarter than your fucking little toe?
If you wish to brag about being smarter than my little toe, more power to you, as I certainly won't disagree that you are, indeed, smarter than my little toe. I guess you have to take whatever little victories you can get.

Your little toe is the only part of your body that has any IQ.

Newsflash, asshole, I have posted survey results that show that Democrats actually have a high percentage of Young Earth Creationists in their midst. Since my entire point is that idiots suffuse all points of the political spectrum, your attempt to accuse me of confusing the left, whatever you think that is, and Democrats is so pathetic it doesn't even rise to the point of being pathetic. In case your brain has trouble processing information, being a YEC does not make you right wing.
Repeating the fallacy in a louder voice doesn't make it less fallacious. You can keep pretending "Democrat = left", but it's still stupid on your part.

Still with the straw man.

See what I mean about your toe?

Me, not being a pretentious asshole, or morally superior to anyone, including fuckwads like you, just love sniping at idiots. If you weren't an idiot, you would join me. As it is, you sided with the idiots and tried to pawn yourself off as something you aren't.
And now you're just melting down. The amount of amusement I got out of you with one sentence was well worth the effort.

Feel free to take your imaginary victory over my non existent meltdown.

And again, congratulations on being smarter than my little toe. I'm sure you worked hard to pass that milestone, so it should be recognized, and you should brag about it.

Again with the pitiful attempt at sarcasm and wit.

Tyson is no genius. He's a token.

He IS a genius. I don't know his IQ but you can bet its well over the threshold of 125; the minimum IQ requirement for a genius according to the Terman Longitudinal Study. Of course other are other personal traits to consider but Tyson seems to have them all!
So IQ matters?

Good, now we can have an honest discussion on why blacks do so miserably on the bell curve, SATs and everything else that indicates intelligence.

Tyson did indeed defy the odds. Being black and having a high IQ was the most daunting. It's a shame there are so very few and the few that are are not much revered in black culture.

Tyson is something blacks should emulate, but having said that, no one would have ever heard of him if he were white, Asian or even Hispanic.

I usually avoid talking to incorrigible bigots like you meathead but since I'm in a good mood, I'll take the bait.

I am not sure in which context your "so IQ matters" statement is meant but it appears to be one of your usual tactics to divert the conversation to the "Bell Curve." We've all seen this stuff before; ad nauseam! We also know you hate Blacks so anything you say is rarely taken seriously; especially when you refuse to link your outlandish premises.
You have no proof whatsoever that no one would have heard of Tyson if his race was something other than Black. Yet, because you saw RiKurzhen post it you parroted his assumption and tried to make it a reality! More proof that bigots need a leader, they rarely are able to think for themselves!

So IQ matters?

I usually avoid talking to incorrigible bigots like you meathead but since I'm in a good mood, I'll take the bait.

I am not sure in which context your "so IQ matters" statement is meant but it appears to be one of your usual tactics to divert the conversation to the "Bell Curve." We've all seen this stuff before; ad nauseam! We also know you hate Blacks so anything you say is rarely taken seriously; especially when you refuse to link your outlandish premises.
You have no proof whatsoever that no one would have heard of Tyson if his race was something other than Black. Yet, because you saw RiKurzhen post it you parroted his assumption and tried to make it a reality! More proof that bigots need a leader, they rarely are able to think for themselves!
Please. Having a grasp of the obvious is not rare. People like yourself, who have only the faintest idea of what astrophysics is and have never heard of people like Fritz Zwicky, suddenly find a champion in a second-tier scientist for no other reason than his being black.

Just how much of a free ride do you think political correctness is going to get black folks? Obama is the ultimate failure of this monolithic doctrine and even the thicker types whose entire outlook is not through a race prism are beginning to understand.

Just how much of a free ride do you think political correctness is going to get black folks?

Quite a lot actually. Blacks now earn the highest return on additional schooling of any racial group. Blacks with Ph.Ds earn higher starting salaries than whites with Ph.Ds. Why? Everyone wants to hire them because there are so few of them and this labor scarcity drives up wages.

Why are they in such demand? Certainly not because of merit, but for token value. Paying a premium salary for blacks doesn't make economic sense, so the reason must be non-economic in nature.

So, does the left wing backlash against smart, educated people like Dr. Ben Carson?

OK, so he's a neurosurgeon. But that makes him brilliant in other areas?

Benjamin Carson Quotes - BrainyQuote

I'm look at his quotes. All the God stuff. How we are like the Roman Empire? Really, the Roman empire?

Seems kind of stupid to me. Perhaps he's simply insulated.

And people on the right don't agree with Tyson's political views.

Research publications
Twarog, Bruce A.; Tyson, Neil D. (1985). "uvby Photometry of Blue Stragglers in NGC 7789". Astronomical Journal 90: 1247. doi:10.1086/113833
Tyson, Neil D.; Scalo, John M. (1988). "Bursting Dwarf Galaxies: Implications for Luminosity Function, Space Density, and Cosmological Mass Density". Astrophysical Journal 329: 618. doi:10.1086/166408
Tyson, Neil D. (1988). "On the possibility of Gas-Rich Dwarf Galaxies in the Lyman-alpha Forest". Astrophysical Journal (Letters) 329: L57. doi:10.1086/185176
Tyson, Neil D.; Rich, Michael (1991). "Radial Velocity Distribution and Line Strengths of 33 Carbon Stars in the Galactic Bulge". Astrophysical Journal 367: 547. doi:10.1086/169651
Tyson, Neil D.; Gal, Roy R. (1993). "An Exposure Guide for Taking Twilight Flatfields with Large Format CCDs". Astronomical Journal 105: 1206. doi:10.1086/116505
Tyson, Neil D.; Richmond, Michael W.; Woodhams, Michael; Ciotti, Luca (1993). "On the Possibility of a Major Impact on Uranus in the Past Century". Astronomy & Astrophysics (Research Notes) 275: 630
Schmidt, B. P. et al. (1994). "The Expanding Photosphere Method Applied to SN1992am at cz = 14600 km/s". Astronomical Journal 107: 1444
Wells, L. A. et al. (1994). "The Type Ia Supernova 1989B in NGC3627 (M66)". Astronomical Journal 108: 2233. doi:10.1086/117236
Hamuy, M. et al. (1996). "BVRI Light Curves For 29 Type Ia Supernovae". Astronomical Journal 112: 2408. doi:10.1086/118192
Lira, P. et al. (1998). "Optical light curves of the Type IA supernovae SN 1990N and 1991T". Astronomical Journal 116: 1006. doi:10.1086/300175
Scoville, N. et al. (2007). "The Cosmic Evolution Survey (COSMOS): Overview". Astrophysical Journal Supplement 172: 1. doi:10.1086/516585
Scoville, N. et al. (2007). "COSMOS: Hubble Space Telescope Observations". Astrophysical Journal Supplement 172: 38. doi:10.1086/516580
Liu, C. T.; Capak, P.; Mobasher, B.; Paglione, T. A. D.; Scoville, N. Z.; Tribiano, S. M.; Tyson, N. D. (2008). "The Faint-End Slopes of Galaxy Luminosity Functions in the COSMOS Field". Astrophysical Journal Letters 672: 198. doi:10.1086/522361
Books

As noted, that's pretty damn pathetic. For comparison here's what a same-aged peer has accomplished in the same time:

Alex Filippenko is the Richard & Rhoda Goldman Distinguished Professor in the Physical Sciences. His accomplishments, documented in about 750 research papers, have been recognized by several major prizes, and he is one of the world's most highly cited astronomers.​

To put this into perspective, here are the publications of a random peer, one who earned his Ph.D in 2010:
  • The Chandra X-Ray Survey of Planetary Nebulae (CHANPLANS): Probing Binarity, Magnetic Fields, and Wind Collisions
  • X-ray Emission from the Binary Central Stars of the Planetary Nebulae HFG 1, DS 1, and LoTr 5
  • X-ray imaging of planetary nebulae with Wolf-Rayet-type central stars: detection of the hot bubble in NGC 40
  • Serendipitous Chandra x-ray detection of a hot bubble within the planetary nebula NGC 5315
  • Chandra detection of extended X-ray emission from the recurrent nova RS Ophiuchi
  • GSC 07396-00759= V4046 Sgr C [D]: A Wide-separation Companion to the Close T Tauri Binary System V4046 Sgr AB
  • The Astrophysical Journal Letters 740 (1), L17 10 2011
  • 2M1155–79 (= T Chamaeleontis B): A Low-mass, Wide-separation Companion to the nearby
  • Serendipitous XMM-Newton detection of x-ray emission from the bipolar planetary Nebula Hb 5
  • Light and Color Curves of Six Field RR Lyrae Variable Stars1
  • Searching for X-ray emission from AGB stars
  • Kinematic and Morphological Modeling of the Bipolar Nebula Sa 2-237
  • XMM-Newton Detection of a Transient X-ray Source in the Vicinity of V838 Monocerotis
  • No Evidence for Extended X-ray Emission around Recurrent Nova T Pyx
  • Chandra x-ray detection of a shocked polar jet in the symbiotic Mira System Hen 2-104
  • Serendipitous Detection of X-Ray Emission from the Hot Born-again Central Star of the Planetary Nebula K 1-16
  • Examining the Radio-Loud/Radio-Quiet dichotomy with new Chandra and VLA observations of 13 UGC galaxies
  • Molecules in the transition disk orbiting T Chamaeleontis
  • Chandra X-ray Detection of the Enigmatic Field Star BP Psc
  • XMM-Newton detection of a delayed X-ray eruption from V838 Monocerotis
  • The Chandra Planetary Nebula Survey (ChanPlaNS). II. X-ray Emission from Compact Planetary Nebulae

The years 2008-2010 saw the publication of 6 articles. Obama was awarded a Nobel Prize for being a famous black man. Tyson followed the same path. He didn't achieve fame via his work in science.

You do realize that many people publish just to publish--to gain recognition, to keep their jobs, to get promotions? Much of it is getting your name on a study just so you look like you are publishing. I'm not sure that just a long list of publications tells the whole story, that it is truly indicative of the caliber of any given scientist or academic.

Last edited:
So IQ matters?

Please. Having a grasp of the obvious is not rare. People like yourself, who have only the faintest idea of what astrophysics is and have never heard of people like Fritz Zwicky, suddenly find a champion in a second-tier scientist for no other reason than his being black.

Just how much of a free ride do you think political correctness is going to get black folks? Obama is the ultimate failure of this monolithic doctrine and even the thicker types whose entire outlook is not through a race prism are beginning to understand.

You have no idea of what I know about Astrophysics or anything else. BTW your education in astrophysics is likely limited to what you have learned about it through this op. Furthermore, your feigned knowledge of Dr. Zwicky probably was gained in the last 24 hrs. as you scanned the INTENET to justify your passion: bigotry!

Having reviewed his credentials, I see that the number of his publications do not appreciably exceed those of Tyson's.

However, since he died in 1974, his work is done. Dr. Tyson is still going strong.

You allusion to Obama and "free rides" is just racist banter not worth responding to.

Just how much of a free ride do you think political correctness is going to get black folks?

Quite a lot actually. Blacks now earn the highest return on additional schooling of any racial group. Blacks with Ph.Ds earn higher starting salaries than whites with Ph.Ds. Why? Everyone wants to hire them because there are so few of them and this labor scarcity drives up wages.

Why are they in such demand? Certainly not because of merit, but for token value. Paying a premium salary for blacks doesn't make economic sense, so the reason must be non-economic in nature.

Why not provide a link so we can see for ourselves if your premise is true. If not, stop making things up. Sorry, but your word alone just doesn't cut it!

You have no idea of what I know about Astrophysics or anything else. BTW your education in astrophysics is likely limited to what you have learned about it through this op. Furthermore, your feigned knowledge of Dr. Zwicky probably was gained in the last 24 hrs. as you scanned the INTENET to justify your passion: bigotry!
It's more than passing strange that you seem to know what I know about astrophysics, yet I have "no idea" of what you know on the subject. Btw, if you're going to upper case "INTENET", it would serve you well to spell it correctly.

Very sloppy stuff. That, and of course assuming the number of publications is how accomplishment in academia is judged.

You are comparing giants to midgets.

Well, OK sue me. I used the misplaced "R" to underline your Racism.

I make no comparisons at all, it is the voices in your head that make you think I do. BTW, I don't think it is wise to be too pedantic with all the errors I have seen in some of your previous posts.

That was a horribly written article. For the first 3/4 of the article it took a baseless attack on conservatives and lumped all conservatives together like we all sit in a room and plot against Dr. Tyson (heck when I saw the thread title I thought it was an onion article about Mike Tyson).

Only a small section, actually 2 sentences something about what the title was about.

It's interesting the people the Right hates the most: teachers, artists, muscians, philosophers, the highly educated, etc. The same people Mao hated and forced to work on farms instead of practicing their professions.

You assessment is baseless. We despise the teacher unions, but love teachers. Conservatives seek to get rid of the highway robbery unfunded collective pension plans, we desire an end to tenure and a merit pay. Interestingly, most of these programs we desire to get rid of keeps new teachers in poverty when they start out and many years into their career. Getting rid of the unfunded pensions and moving teachers to SSN would allow for 100% of the education budget going to the schools and current teachers. In Cook County 60% of the money earmarked for education goes paying retired teachers. Imagine if 100% went to education: (1) More Teachers, (2) Smaller Classrooms, (3) Higher Teacher salary, esp new teachers, (4) More programs, (5) Lower property taxes and (6) Better education all the way around!

Musicians? Where do you get that from? We don't very much like the ones that are drug addicts, rude, crude, act like spoiled brats and are just horrendous role models (but we still generally listen to their music - Heck I still listen to NWA when I work out, shoot me it gets me going). We especially hate the hypocrites that preach one thing and do another. Like so many of the liberal faux crusaders, but some are highly respected by conservatives. I have heard many conservative talk show host praise Bono. I think Bono is a spectacular person.

Philosophers? LOL is that even a job title now-a-days. Do you mean Socrates, Aristotle and Plato? We love those guys, they rock!

Highly intelligent? Now you are being petty. There are many highly intelligent conservatives. You will find that most CEOs, CFOs, COO, CCO etc are highly intelligent and nearly 100% conservative. Same with small business owners. Many financial people and economist are conservative. Most engineers are conservative, they are smart no? I would say 70% of doctors and dentist are conservative, they are smart no?

Civility against who you hate isn't a bad thing, it makes you are better debater! :eusa_shifty:

Why not provide a link so we can see for ourselves if your premise is true. If not, stop making things up. Sorry, but your word alone just doesn't cut it!

5e75dcb1c912ca01f171d5db65d835ae_zps0e9b170d.jpg

6ad0ae577287472c78abc778df5098b6_zps42bd1404.jpg

"Denier" is just another way of saying, "I have no evidence, no science, no experiments, but I have an Islamist Fundamentalist Faith in the power of the CO2 molecule"

So, does the left wing backlash against smart, educated people like Dr. Ben Carson?

OK, so he's a neurosurgeon. But that makes him brilliant in other areas?

Benjamin Carson Quotes - BrainyQuote

I'm look at his quotes. All the God stuff. How we are like the Roman Empire? Really, the Roman empire?

Seems kind of stupid to me. Perhaps he's simply insulated.

And people on the right don't agree with Tyson's political views.

I don't know what his political views are, but I know plenty of lefties that disagree with his stance on science and GMOs.

I don't know if conservatives hate education, but they sure seem to hate educated people. Then again maybe it's only some areas of education that bothers them, I would say historians first and scientists second. Historians because historians disagree with conservative's history, and scientists because scientists seem to be in a constant search to find the truths about things.

no it's not hating educated people, it's the one that brags they are so educated that they believe it makes them better than everyone else.

take this condescending bs title and you can add your post too

right wing backlash against smart educated people

someone should write a article on how left wingers are just illiterate jerks who thinks they know everything, but really they don't know jack shit

we'd see smug then I bet

Last edited:
I don't know if conservatives hate education, but they sure seem to hate educated people. Then again maybe it's only some areas of education that bothers them, I would say historians first and scientists second. Historians because historians disagree with conservative's history, and scientists because scientists seem to be in a constant search to find the truths about things.

no it's not hating educated people, it's the one that brags they are so educated that they believe it makes them better than everyone else.

take this condescending bs title and you can add your post too

right wing backlash against smart educated people

someone should write a article on how left wingers are just illiterate jerks who thinks they know everything, but really they don't know jack shit

we'd see smug then I bet

Now Now trailer park queen, no need to get mad at others that you didn't graduate high school :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back