Right-wing warnings pose far more danger to America than left-wing violence

Some food for thought here.

Authoritarians historically have gained power by pointing to non-existent violence from their opponents.

In a recent address to right-wing evangelical leaders, President Trump warned that Democrats will resort to brute force if they win the midterm elections. “They will overturn everything we’ve done and they will do it violently,” said Trump, presenting his political opponents as an imminent threat to freedom of religion and speech.

This statement builds on a narrative that has gained power on Fox News and social media. It has been fed by conservative media outlets like Breitbart and organizations like the National Rifle Association, which has also publicly threatened journalists.

But the story that a wave of left-wing terrorism threatens America is wrong. The poster child for this false narrative is antifa, a small, weak organization that protests white supremacist aggression.

The real threat of violence comes from the right. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism reports that right-wingers and white supremacists were responsible for 74 percent of the murders committed by political extremists in the United States over the past decade. Only 2 percent were committed by left-wing radicals. Alex Nowrasteh, an immigration policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute, has calculated that “terrorists inspired by Nationalist and Right Wing ideology have killed about 10 times as many people as Left Wing terrorists since 1992.”

What’s more, white supremacists and their fellow travelers have strong connections to the establishment right and are far more organized than the antifa. They seek to provoke confrontation through armed marches onto college campuses and into the centers of liberal-leaning cities, like the confrontation in Charlottesville last summer.

These narratives about aggressive left-wing violence aren’t just distorted. They are dangerous, because they set the stage for replacing democratic institutions with authoritarian rule. Provoking street violence and blaming it on their opponents is exactly how totalitarian regimes have gained power in the past.

Perspective | Right-wing warnings pose far more danger to America than left-wing violence

They will overturn everything we’ve done and they will do it violently,” said Trump,

Huh? What did Trump do besides make liberals cry, get rid of the mandate, and over turn Obama's EOs with his EOs

If you are going to resort to childish insults, don't expect any further replies.

??????

Childish insults I stated three facts ..

Trump May Not Be Crazy, But the Rest of Us Are Getting There Fast

Trump May Not Be Crazy, But the Rest of Us Are Getting There Fast
Psychologists’ couches are filling up as Americans seek relief from Trump Anxiety Disorder.

By JOHN F. HARRIS and SARAH ZIMMERMAN

10/12/2018 05:09 AM EDT
Apologies, I intended that reply for OKTexas.

I just provided three specific examples, and you just ignored them and kept going.

That's the problem. Both ends do that, and that's my point.

It's all the other guy's fault. Just like in kindergarten.
So you have no examples of the PBs heading to the streets, with no other motivations than to perpetrate random violence and destruction of property, I presume.

There is clear danger coming from both ends. When it's pouring out like water through a fire hose, trying to identify which end is worse is folly.

This doesn't improve until both ends fully hold their own tribe accountable.

Not holding my breath.
Libertarians and anarcho-capitalists have disavowed and dissociated themselves form kooks like Christopher Cantwell...The left can't say the same...In fact, they venerate their violent goons.
I've seen support for the alt right "Proud Boys" and their violence here, many times.

"Yeah, my side shouldn't have done that, but..." just isn't good enough any more.

The Right could start by looking at a President who pretends not to know who David Duke is, and who compliments "body slamming" violence to adoring crowds.
Liberals started the violence. We will finish it.
Another great example, thanks.
and that is exactly what the Ozp article is talking about

I just provided three specific examples, and you just ignored them and kept going.

That's the problem. Both ends do that, and that's my point.

It's all the other guy's fault. Just like in kindergarten.
So you have no examples of the PBs heading to the streets, with no other motivations than to perpetrate random violence and destruction of property, I presume.
And you do it again.

Again, this is the problem. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You're dug in.

There is clear danger coming from both ends. When it's pouring out like water through a fire hose, trying to identify which end is worse is folly.

Not holding my breath.
Libertarians and anarcho-capitalists have disavowed and dissociated themselves form kooks like Christopher Cantwell...The left can't say the same...In fact, they venerate their violent goons.
I've seen support for the alt right "Proud Boys" and their violence here, many times.

"Yeah, my side shouldn't have done that, but..." just isn't good enough any more.

The Right could start by looking at a President who pretends not to know who David Duke is, and who compliments "body slamming" violence to adoring crowds.
The first line of my sig is illustrated over and over, every freaking minute.

Not holding my breath.

It has to come from the top leadership on both sides that this is not acceptable.

Not holding my breath.

A leftist actually shot into a crowd of republicans at a ballgame and was looking to kill a few, actually hitting some people.
That's correct. So?

Is the left reflecting on their violent undertones that are now at the surface?

other motivations than to perpetrate random violence and destruction of property, I presume.
And you do it again.

Again, this is the problem. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You're dug in.
.[/QUOTE]
You made a claim and failed to back it up....I gave one specific instance -there are others- where the goons are being disavowed and driven out of libertarian/ancap circles...The PBs make no secret of drumming out neo-Nazis.

If you're in favor of just rolling over allowing roving bands of thugs to take over the streets, just say so.

That's it. Own your fascism. I've been wondering when the gloves would come off (of your very tiny hands).
The criminal party started it, liar. Like they always do....play your little word games and your willful ignorance. Fail. As member of the crime party, you approve of crimes against conservatives.

Some food for thought here.

Authoritarians historically have gained power by pointing to non-existent violence from their opponents.

In a recent address to right-wing evangelical leaders, President Trump warned that Democrats will resort to brute force if they win the midterm elections. “They will overturn everything we’ve done and they will do it violently,” said Trump, presenting his political opponents as an imminent threat to freedom of religion and speech.

This statement builds on a narrative that has gained power on Fox News and social media. It has been fed by conservative media outlets like Breitbart and organizations like the National Rifle Association, which has also publicly threatened journalists.

But the story that a wave of left-wing terrorism threatens America is wrong. The poster child for this false narrative is antifa, a small, weak organization that protests white supremacist aggression.

The real threat of violence comes from the right. The Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism reports that right-wingers and white supremacists were responsible for 74 percent of the murders committed by political extremists in the United States over the past decade. Only 2 percent were committed by left-wing radicals. Alex Nowrasteh, an immigration policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute, has calculated that “terrorists inspired by Nationalist and Right Wing ideology have killed about 10 times as many people as Left Wing terrorists since 1992.”

What’s more, white supremacists and their fellow travelers have strong connections to the establishment right and are far more organized than the antifa. They seek to provoke confrontation through armed marches onto college campuses and into the centers of liberal-leaning cities, like the confrontation in Charlottesville last summer.

These narratives about aggressive left-wing violence aren’t just distorted. They are dangerous, because they set the stage for replacing democratic institutions with authoritarian rule. Provoking street violence and blaming it on their opponents is exactly how totalitarian regimes have gained power in the past.

Perspective | Right-wing warnings pose far more danger to America than left-wing violence
Perhaps the left should stop it's threats and attacks then, huh?
Sure...and rein in your president and the white suoremacists while your at it please.
Quit importing “white supremacists”, if you don’t like them...

Not holding my breath.

It's the truth, what are we suppose to do let them beat us up? I don't think so.

Not holding my breath.

We didn't start it.

Like all that "non-existent violence" that has happened at the inauguration and several times in Berkeley?

Or that "non-existent" bicycle lock that a lunatic college prof was clobbering people with?

Or all that "nonexistent" pepper spray that antifa goons have been spraying on innocent onlookers?

This shit is ridiculous, even by WaPo's already low standards.
You missed the point entirely. It is because this violence being encouraged and protected by the right wing is being nurtured and permitted by the GOVERNMENT of our country. No leader should be encouraging violence against fellow countrymen, and that goes for Democrats, so don't be lecturing me about what Maxine Waters said.

The first line of my sig is illustrated over and over, every freaking minute.

What do you mean by "wingers" (in your sig)? The term is most often used to refer to far-left, or far-right, ideologues. But entrenched partisans aren't that. For the most part, they lack strong principles or ideology. It's the win-at-all-costs mindset driving them, not extreme ideology.

Not holding my breath.

It's the truth, what are we suppose to do let them beat us up? I don't think so.
You seem to ve doing a good job of beating up. Hate crimes, including property destruction, arson, assault and death threats has gone up sharply since Trump's election.

It doesn't help that we have a president who frequently suggests the 'hands on' approach when dealing with people. Such as the politician he applauded for body slamming a reporter, or telling cops to not take it so easy putting an arrested person in a patrol car. He was basically giving the the go ahead to kinda slam their heads against the roof and ...woops. This president obviously never stops to think that a person who's being arrested could be innocent. And body slamming a reporter who's just doing his job? This sets a new low even for trump.

Not holding my breath.

It has to come from the top leadership on both sides that this is not acceptable.
A momentum has to be started somewhere, anywhere. But "leaders" don't have the balls, because it's too risky for the top priority - their careers.

Maybe it has to start culturally. I don't know.

You seem to ve doing a good job of beating up. Hate crimes, including property destruction, arson, assault and death threats has gone up sharply since Trump's election.
All done by liberals. The things you cry about are simply self defense from us against the crime party.

Forum List

Back