Zone1 I kid you not Left wing and far Right

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
When I absorb information, I kinda get niggly feelings inside. I like psychology and get quite in-depth from the normal path when I'm bugged.

One such thing was the orientation of the left. So I did a little researching -

Now, I always thought Republicans were not Far Right, but Democrats kinda ring alarm bells.

Your thoughts on the link?

Far right people dont favor authoritarianism. Far left is totalitarianism. Far right is anarchy.
Im one of the farthest right people on this board and you never see me supporting authoritarianism or govt intervention.

Far right people dont favor authoritarianism. Far left is totalitarianism. Far right is anarchy.
Im one of the farthest right people on this board and you never see me supporting authoritarianism or govt intervention.
I'm an anarchist, and farther left than the communists. I can see it being far right, it simply means no leaders, on any level. Ever.

When I absorb information, I kinda get niggly feelings inside. I like psychology and get quite in-depth from the normal path when I'm bugged.

Now, I always thought Republicans were not Far Right, but Democrats kinda ring alarm bells.

As you can see from the few comments in the thread so far. . . we need to be able to read the study, and see how the authors defined their terms.

The members in this thread seem to take exception to the authors definitions and points of view, of the political spectrum, but we can't really know for sure, the exact definitions they are using, because they want us to pay. . .

8no79a.jpg

Fruitless discussion IMO.

(I find it telling, the wiki has no stub for "left-wing authoritarianism" :auiqs.jpg:)

1713822869108.png

Last edited:
I’m not convinced that far right truly correlates with anarchy.

I have very little doubt that far left does come down on the spade of totalitarianism.

I’m not convinced that far right truly correlates with anarchy.
Really, he is not too far off the mark.

Lysander Spooner is generally regarded as far right, and he published in what is regarded as America's first Anarchist periodical. . . started by Benjamin Tucker.

He was friends, I believe, with Josiah Warren. Both were at the first Internationale. I have no proof they traveled there together, but I suspect that they did.

"I was the first American—I may say the first Anglo-Saxon—to start an avowedly Anarchistic newspaper printed in the English language. I am still the editor, publisher and proprietor of that paper. It is everywhere regarded as the pioneer and principal organ of modem individualist Anarchism. I either am, or have been, the publisher of the chief Anarchistic works in the English language. I am the author of the most widely-accepted English text-book of Anarchism. I have enjoyed the friendship, had the benefit of instruction, and have carefully studied the works, of those Americans from whom the Anarchists have largely derived their beliefs—Josiah Warren, Stephen Pearl Andrews, Lysander Spooner, and Colonel William B. Greene. I am the translator into English of some of the principal works of P.J. Proudhon, who was the first writer in any language to declare himself an Anarchist. I am acquainted, perhaps better than any other man, with the English-speaking Anarchists of the United States. . . "

Really, he is not too far off the mark.

Lysander Spooner is generally regarded as far right, and he published in what is regarded as America's first Anarchist periodical. . . started by Benjamin Tucker.

He was friends, I believe, with Josiah Warren. Both were at the first Internationale. I have no proof they traveled there together, but I suspect that they did.

"I was the first American—I may say the first Anglo-Saxon—to start an avowedly Anarchistic newspaper printed in the English language. I am still the editor, publisher and proprietor of that paper. It is everywhere regarded as the pioneer and principal organ of modem individualist Anarchism. I either am, or have been, the publisher of the chief Anarchistic works in the English language. I am the author of the most widely-accepted English text-book of Anarchism. I have enjoyed the friendship, had the benefit of instruction, and have carefully studied the works, of those Americans from whom the Anarchists have largely derived their beliefs—Josiah Warren, Stephen Pearl Andrews, Lysander Spooner, and Colonel William B. Greene. I am the translator into English of some of the principal works of P.J. Proudhon, who was the first writer in any language to declare himself an Anarchist. I am acquainted, perhaps better than any other man, with the English-speaking Anarchists of the United States. . . "
Understand. I also see that there is a strain or variety of light libertarianism which is aligned with anarch-concepulaizations.

Nonetheless, my view remains. Dealing with our Framers, they don’t seek an anarchical society. In fact, despite their justified reservations about all governments, when they crafted our Constitutional republic on a firm foundation of checks and balances, they were not seeking government incapable of doing the very things for which we even have governments.

Accordingly, I maintain that there is a delicate balance between agreeing to create a government capable of doing the very things we call on governments to perform while at the same time seeking to limiting and prevent it from assuming too much power or power to do things we haven’t agreed it should do.

People consider ideologies as

1713828569868.png

In reality Ideologies are more like

1713828646038.png

great quote from your link, thanks...

"The [horseshoe] theory is typically used to explain why 20th century communists and fascists seemed to have so much in common, though it likely predates the last century. But in the United States in 2021, a softer version of this iron law is at play, with the center-left and the center-right mushily converging toward expensive authoritarian policies that look astonishingly similar despite their supposedly opposite goals. Still a horseshoe, but more like one of the marshmallow ones you can find in bowls of Lucky Charms."

tenor.gif

• Winner
Reactions: IM2
great quote from your link, thanks...

"The [horseshoe] theory is typically used to explain why 20th century communists and fascists seemed to have so much in common, though it likely predates the last century. But in the United States in 2021, a softer version of this iron law is at play, with the center-left and the center-right mushily converging toward expensive authoritarian policies that look astonishingly similar despite their supposedly opposite goals. Still a horseshoe, but more like one of the marshmallow ones you can find in bowls of Lucky Charms."
That isn't that part I linked. . . Real political scientists? Regard it as major WOO. :rolleyes:

"The horseshoe theory does not enjoy wide support within academic circles; peer-reviewed research by political scientists on the subject is scarce, and existing studies and comprehensive reviews have often contradicted its central premises, or found only limited support for the theory under certain conditions.[6][8]"

1713832145154.png

Forum List

Back