Right wing journal quietly dies

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Right-wing journal quietly dies - Salon.com

... I cannot find a single reference in a conservative outlet to Policy Review’s death.

That says little about the journal’s value and more about our era’s level of intellectual conservation. Whatever Policy Review’s failings, the magazine was well written and challenged its readers’ attention spans. Its last issue was typical: engaging multi-thousand-word essays on foreign affairs and American politics, and learned long-form book reviews examining literature. And yet, format aside, Policy Review failed to accomplish its mission: ... It didn’t foster a rethinking of right-wing ideas. By its end, like the rest of the conservative movement, it was incapable of challenging its own orthodoxies, no matter how obsolete they were.

Just another indication of just how dumb the right wing is, as well as how much they value DUMB.

Serious question: Can anyone imagine the likes of Wm F. Buckley conversing intelligently with the likes of Rand/Ron Paul, Ted Cruz, Rubio, Palin, Lindsey Graham or any of the other R idiots? Better yet, turn it around.

If anyone doubts that the right values DUMB, just look at the popularity of brain dead Rs like those I listed.

Newsweek was sold for $1 and the buyer is saying he overpaid

Oh, and go fuck yourself

I never heard of Policy Review. Not many may have. Newsweek is gone, New York Times close to it, and Time is hanging by a thread.

Actually all print media is struggling these days. Local newspapers hang in there because folks want something to read with their morning coffee. But even those are getting smaller as more and more advertising dollars are moved to radio, television, and the internet. And for the first time, this generation receives more information and is educated more by electronics than from the printed word.

We have become a culture addicted to 'instant' gratification. We microwave food to speed up dinner, use the fast lube place instead of the mom and pop garage for an oil change, expect a one-hour cleaners to be everywhere, have made fast food a part of our culture, and want instant access to information. The nightly newscast condenses even complicated issues and stories into a minute or less to accommodate the limited attention span of their average audience. We become frustrated if the computer image that comes from a satellite thousands of miles away in space takes extra seconds to reach us.

Policy Review is by far not the only publication to fall on hard times and/or cease publication. And to think that it is because of the lack of interest or vision of conservatives is ludicrous.

Well, the Hoover Institute still has an active blog and I get daily RSS feeds from it.

Yes, as does Redstate and numerous other conservative publications that do excellent research and provide very good information. Policy Review, however, was the flagship publication of the Hoover Institute which I don't see any indication that it will be going away any time soon. And I can't imagine that they won't find a new way to get that excellent commentary and those informative articles out.

Lindberg has been editor of Policy Review for 14 years. “It’s been a great run, and I will miss editing the journal. But I would certainly rather have it said that my tenure ended too soon than that I stayed too long. Meanwhile, my personal research agenda has been growing exponentially, and I am looking forward to giving it my full-time attention at Hoover.”

“Policy Review has been an excellent vehicle for engaging journalists and scholars through publication in its pages,” Raisian said. “It has extended Hoover’s range and reach. Policy Review has been a bellwether for publishing longer essays related to public policy. As we look ahead, we are eager to develop new methods of disseminating work of this kind, and thus expanding the extent of our outreach efforts in timely ways.”
Hoover Institution Publication Policy Review to End its Run | Hoover Institution

Right-wing journal quietly dies - Salon.com

... I cannot find a single reference in a conservative outlet to Policy Review’s death.

That says little about the journal’s value and more about our era’s level of intellectual conservation. Whatever Policy Review’s failings, the magazine was well written and challenged its readers’ attention spans. Its last issue was typical: engaging multi-thousand-word essays on foreign affairs and American politics, and learned long-form book reviews examining literature. And yet, format aside, Policy Review failed to accomplish its mission: ... It didn’t foster a rethinking of right-wing ideas. By its end, like the rest of the conservative movement, it was incapable of challenging its own orthodoxies, no matter how obsolete they were.

Just another indication of just how dumb the right wing is, as well as how much they value DUMB.

Serious question: Can anyone imagine the likes of Wm F. Buckley conversing intelligently with the likes of Rand/Ron Paul, Ted Cruz, Rubio, Palin, Lindsey Graham or any of the other R idiots? Better yet, turn it around.

If anyone doubts that the right values DUMB, just look at the popularity of brain dead Rs like those I listed.

February 1, 2013
:eusa_shhh:
news » press releases
Hoover Institution Publication Policy Review to End its Run
For Immediate Release

It was founded by the Heritage Foundation and was for many years the foundation's flagship publication.[1] In 2001, the publication was acquired by the Stanford University-based Hoover Institution.[1] Its office is on Washington, D.C.'s Dupont Circle. Following the February–March 2013 issue, Policy Review ceased publication.[2]

Editors:
Tucker Carlson
Dinesh D'Souza
Michael Johns
Tod Lindberg (current)

Contributing authors:
Spencer Abraham, Elliott Abrams, George Allen, Dick Armey, Peter Berkowitz, John R. Bolton, William F. Buckley, Jr., Tom Clancy, Robert Cooper, Bob Dole, Daniel Drezner, Mary Eberstadt, David R. Henderson, Toomas Hendrik Ilve, Robert Kagan, Ivan Krastev, Daniel Pipes, Jonas Savimbi, Kori Schak, Peter Thiel, Justin Vaïsse, Kurt Volker
Policy Review - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back