Riddles

And so, this has become another "The Answer is One" thread.

Math is a bunch of clever contortions of numbers to torture English majors. It may be why we can have suspension bridges and skyscrapers, space capsules hurtling toward Neptune with cameras, but it still sucks.

Math is a bunch of clever contortions of numbers to torture English majors. It may be why we can have suspension bridges and skyscrapers, space capsules hurtling toward Neptune with cameras, but it still sucks.

Not familiar with that thread.

Not familiar with that thread.
It's in the FZ, I believe. It was too long ago for me to bother searching for, though, sorry. It was an algebra problem that can be solved in two ways, depending on what rules regarding PEMDAS you learned as a nipper.

The answer was either 1 or 16, depending. The argument raged for days.
IIRC, I was in the 16 camp.

Every time you flip a coin, the odds of it coming up on one particular side is ALWAYS going to be 50-50, regardless of how it came up previously. This is simple logic, folks.
No, sorry, it does not follow that the answer is 50%

Every time you flip a coin, the odds of it coming up on one particular side is ALWAYS going to be 50-50, regardless of how it came up previously. This is simple logic, folks.

If I flip a coin, what are the odds of it being heads or tails?
Just make your point. By the way, your answer is wrong, and you can look it up.

There are two possibilities, heads or tails. The odds of either turning up are 50-50. Do you dispute this?

There are two possibilities, heads or tails.
Wrong. You need to be considering 4 possibilities, as we are considering two "coin flips", not one. Then we are given the information that at least one flip resulted in tails, reducing this to 3 possibilities. The probability that both flips resulted in tails then becomes 1/3.

Wrong. You need to be considering 4 possibilities, as we are considering two "coin flips",

I was talking about a single flip of the coin. This discussion is obviously a waste of time. Carry on.
Yes, you were contibuting the wisom that the probability of getting tails in a coin flip is 50%. Thank you.

And you were disagreeing.

Wrong. You need to be considering 4 possibilities, as we are considering two "coin flips",

I was talking about a single flip of the coin. This discussion is obviously a waste of time. Carry on.
Yes, you were contibuting the wisom that the probability of getting tails in a coin flip is 50%. Thank you.

False. I did not disagree on the probability of a coin flip.

upload_2019-12-13_16-0-56.png

LOL!

View attachment 294652

LOL!
Which is not what I did there. Obviously, I meant that it does not follow from his statements that the answer to the riddle is 50%. Settle down, you will never grasp this riddle when you are in that state.

Last edited:
Another reiteration:

So, let's say two siblngs are in a house with 2 rooms, a hallway, and one front door. This is all the information you have.

If you go inside and open one of the doors to find a girl, what is the probability that there is a girl in the other room?

50%.

Now, instead, you wait out front, one of the siblings is sent outside, and it is a girl. Now, what is the probability that the remaining sibling in the house is a girl?

1/3
One way to look at it is to go in the house and stand in the hallway. The probabilities are 50% that there is a G in one room, and 50% that there is a G in the other room because there are only 2 possibilities in each room. (Excluding the 70 other genders that Facebook has.)

The four possible combinations of both room all have equal probabilities.

As soon as you open one door, and see a G you have eliminated the BB possibility.
if you see a B you have eliminated the GG possibility.

The three combinations left still still have have equal probabilities.

That leaves three possibilities, each with the same probability. Namely 1/3.

*permutations, not combinations. There are only three combinations: BB, BG, GG, with BG starting with twice the probability of each of the other two combinations.
As soon as you open one door, and see a G you have eliminated the BB possibility.
You have also eliminated half of the BG combinations, specifically, all of the BG permutations (where the first element is the gender in the first room you enter).

Because of this, if you open the first door and see a girl, the probability you will find a girl behind the second door is 1/2.

Wuwei

However, if you sent someone else into the house who opened a door (you don't know which door) and shouted out that he sees a girl, the probability, from your perspective, that he finds a girl in the other room as well is 1/3.

*permutations, not combinations. There are only three combinations: BB, BG, GG, with BG starting with twice the probability of each of the other two combinations.
You have also eliminated half of the BG combinations, specifically, all of the BG permutations (where the first element is the gender in the first room you enter).

Because of this, if you open the first door and see a girl, the probability you will find a girl behind the second door is 1/2.

Hmmmmm….where have I heard that before?​

Nope. Girl eliminates half the permutations. Only two left.

Riddles

Oh, yeah.

Hmmmmm….where have I heard that before?
i believe you said it while incorrcetly using the term "permutations". And also notice you are off base anyway, as i spoke of eliminating half of the BG combinations, while you spoke of eliminating half of the permutations. If you read your own post slowly, you can see this error on your part.

Hmmmmm….where have I heard that before?
i believe you said it while incorrcetly using the term "permutations". And also notice you are off base anyway, as i spoke of eliminating half of the BG combinations, while you spoke of eliminating half of the permutations. If you read your own post slowly, you can see this error on your part.

i believe you said it while incorrcetly using the term "permutations".

If you've already picked the first sibling, the girl you met, there are only combinations.

Girl-brother
Girl-sister

You've eliminated the permutations, brother-brother and brother-sister.

Forum List

Back