Rick Perry heckled in NH

This is yet another embarrassing moment for Perry. Like when he got schooled by that kid.

Perry answers question about evolution and the age of the Earth | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Rick, for the record, the answer is 4.5B years.

lol...you quite obviously missed the reason for the question...and I am assuming your "media" did not let you hear who was prompting the silly questions.

And you quite obviously didn't read the link, like I did.

From the USAToday article titled " Taxpayers on the hook for $59 trillion ":

Taxpayers are now on the hook for a record $59.1 trillion in liabilities, a 2.3% increase from 2006. That amount is equal to $516,348 for every U.S. household. By comparison, U.S. households owe an average of $112,043 for mortgages, car loans, credit cards and all other debt combined.

Unfunded promises made for Medicare, Social Security and federal retirement programs account for 85% of taxpayer liabilities. State and local government retirement plans account for much of the rest.

This hidden debt is the amount taxpayers would have to pay immediately to cover government's financial obligations. Like a mortgage, it will cost more to repay the debt over time. Every U.S. household would have to pay about $31,000 a year to do so in 75 years.

And the article, and by extension the data, is from 2007...so the situation and data have changed somewhat.

According to Politifact, the newest numbers in unfunded liabilities are:
$14.3 trillion in debt

$24.6 trillion in Medicare benefits

$9.2 trillion Social Security benefits.

-----------------------------------

$48.1 trillion total in unfunded liability

The lower numbers are due to the changes in Medicare resulting from Obamacare.

The unfunded liability produced by the implementation of Obamacare is not yet known.

Last edited:
Don't be stupid, DontBeStupid.

We don't have 75 years.

From CNN Money:

Here's what's at stake: An entitlement system that Americans rely on but that promises more than it can afford; a tax code that is complex, inefficient and perceived to be unfair; and a projected growth trajectory for debt that is unsustainable and threatens the country's economic future.

How unsustainable?

By 2025, spending on Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and interest on the debt is projected to suck up virtually all federal tax revenue, with interest costs alone accounting for nearly half.

By 2040, there would only be enough in federal tax revenue to pay for interest and most of Social Security.

Unless you have a magic calender that puts 2025 sixty one years further into the future...we don't have 75 years.

We don't have 75 years.

That's interesting, because according to the very link you posted, that unfunded "liability" we have is the total over the next 75 years. We in no way need all that money today, or tomorrow or next year or probably even in my lifetime.

Which means, stop being so alarmist. We have plenty of time to fix this.

SS 'is' a Ponzi scheme. Your point???

To piss moan and snibble.

Regardless of someones views on Social Security the fact remains that this is a paid into fund.

He says that if you are a senior citizen than you don't have to worry, implying that those who are not will lose theirs.

If someone ends social security than every penny paid into that fund by an individual should be paid back in full.

All Ponzi schemes are "paid into" funds. So what?

We don't have 75 years.

That's interesting, because according to the very link you posted, that unfunded "liability" we have is the total over the next 75 years. We in no way need all that money today, or tomorrow or next year or probably even in my lifetime.

We have to fix it because it is broken...which is just what Perry pointed out...and the focus of this thread.

I don't think a single person in here who has said it's a ponzi scheme has ever researched what exactly a ponzie scheme is.

We don't have 75 years.

We have to fix it because it is broken...which is just what Perry pointed out...and the focus of this thread.

And it's what Obama did with Obamacare, and you guys attacked him as a dictator. Do you give Perry a pass because he's white?

I don't think a single person in here who has said it's a ponzi scheme has ever researched what exactly a ponzie scheme is.

I think you are a little slow!

Ponzi scheme - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You don't get it, do you?

A ponzi scheme is where you put a dollar in, and then instead of simply getting your dollar back with (hopefully) interest (Social Security), you get a profit percentage of every dollar everyone behind you puts in straight-up.

Getting interest on your money is not a Ponzi-scheme.

Think about a bank.

When you put money into your account, they don't hold literal cash in an account. They pass everyone's cash around all day, and if you withdraw $100 from your account it's not a $100 that you put in physically, it's a $100 bill that a lady deposited 5 minutes ago. That's like social security. It goes the same way as a bank,. and when you're old you begin your withdrawals.

Last edited:

And it's what Obama did with Obamacare, and you guys attacked him as a dictator. Do you give Perry a pass because he's white?

You should have quit while you were behind.

Both total deflection from the topic AND race card.

Fail squared.

You should change your name to 'IAmStupid'.

A ponzi scheme is where you put a dollar in, and then instead of simply getting your dollar back with (hopefully) interest (Social Security), you get a profit percentage of every dollar everyone behind you puts in straight-up.

Think about a bank.

When you put money into your account, they don't hold literal cash in an account. They pass everyone's cash around all day, and if you withdraw $100 from your account it's not a $100 that you put in physically, it's a $100 bill that a lady deposited 5 minutes ago. That's like social security. It goes the same way as a bank,. and when you're old you begin your withdrawals.

What you are describing is a pyramid scheme...not a ponzi scheme.

You should have quit while you were behind.

Both total deflection from the topic AND race card.

Fail squared.

Obamacare increased the sustainability of Medicare and Medicaid by applying downward pressures on the rising cost of health care. This is proven fact. It's also common sense. If we get a control on the runaway health care costs in this country, then everyone pays less, including the government. Spending would naturally go down and our "liabilities" would as well.

But of course, you don't care about this. None of the good conservatives care about this. Why? Because Obama came up with the plan, that's why. Romney's plan was similar and you all loved that and love him. Perry, as far as I know, has put forth ZERO plans, yet you all cheer him and love him.

So, hmm, what's the difference between Obama, Perry and Romney? Hmm.

Protesters greet GOP candidate Perry in NH - Yahoo! News

In the past Perry has referred to Social Security as a "Ponzi scheme" and questioned its constitutional standing. He did not take direct questions from reporters Thursday about those previous statements.

Ricky, you got some splainin to do...

SS 'is' a Ponzi scheme. Your point???

The point is, he doesn't have the courage to defend his convictions - if, indeed, that is actually one of his convictions. Perhaps it was just some offhand comment to stroke whoever was listening to him at the time.

Think about a bank.

What you dont get is the parallels. Since the SS money is spent immediately your argument doesnt hold up.

Think about a bank.

What you are describing is a pyramid scheme...not a ponzi scheme.

It's the same thing, and I described it perfectly.

Here's the minute differences:
A pyramid scheme is a form of fraud similar in some ways to a Ponzi scheme, relying as it does on a mistaken belief in a nonexistent financial reality, including the hope of an extremely high rate of return. However, several characteristics distinguish these schemes from Ponzi schemes:
In a Ponzi scheme, the schemer acts as a "hub" for the victims, interacting with all of them directly. In a pyramid scheme, those who recruit additional participants benefit directly. (In fact, failure to recruit typically means no investment return.)
A Ponzi scheme claims to rely on some esoteric investment approach (insider connections, etc.) and often attracts well-to-do investors; whereas pyramid schemes explicitly claim that new money will be the source of payout for the initial investments.
A pyramid scheme is bound to collapse much faster because it requires exponential increases in participants to sustain it. By contrast, Ponzi schemes can survive simply by persuading most existing participants to "reinvest" their money, with a relatively small number of new participants.

Forum List

Back