Richard Nixon Started Political Hate???

Rinata

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Check this out. Maybe some of you don't remember him. He was a piece of work.

Nixon's mean streak was never far from the surface. Running for the U.S. Senate against Helen Gahagan Douglas during the Red scare of the early 1950s, he promised chivalry: "I am confronted with an unusual situation. My opponent is a woman … There will be no name-calling, no smears, no misrepresentations in this campaign." Then he promptly called her "pink right down to her underwear." He won the election but earned a reputation as "Tricky Dick." He learned to be a little more subtle. In 1967, as the cities burned, he wrote a guest editorial for U.S. News: "If Mob Rule Takes Hold in U.S.—A Warning From Richard Nixon." He chastised a generic "professor" who, "objecting to de facto segregation," ends up turning youth into insurrectionists. The professors needed to draw the line, set an example. One-upping the scholars, Nixon quoted Chaucer: "If gold rust, what shall iron do?"

Evan Thomas: Did Nixon Start the Politics of Hate? | Newsweek Books | Newsweek.com

Yeah and the Kennedy's purchased West Virgina in 1960 while Johnson literally raised the dead in Texas.

Democracy is a funny old thing.

The only hate I ever saw was all the left wing hippies that would burn down entire cities because they hated "the man" or some bull like that.

Politically in the U.S., hate probably began with Hamilton and Jefferson as the Democratic-Republicans and Federalists struggled for supremacy just before and after 1800. Of course Patriots and Loyalists had a great warmup butchering each other during the Revolution.

Forum List

Back