Reuters cameraman killed in Gaza by Israeli military

Sure, but if the JPost doesn't want to cover negative events in Gaza, it won't. Killing a reporter doesn't matter one way or the other.

But Ha'aretz did cover it, and not only covered the event, but covered the urgings of an Israeli human rights group

Rights group: IDF must ban shell that killed cameraman in Gaza

By Haaretz Service

An investigation into the death of a Palestinian cameraman who was killed Wednesday in the Gaza Strip revealed that he had been hit by a Flechette shell fired from an Israel Defense Forces tank, prompting the human rights group B'Tselem to reiterate their demand to discontinue the use of this fatal type of munition.

The Flechette shell explodes in the air and releases thousands of metal darts which disperse in a conical arch three hundred meters long and some ninety meters wide. The use of this type of shell increases the likelihood that someone other than the target will be hit by the shell's darts, thus endangering innocent civilians.

Fadel Shana, 23, was working for the news agency Reuters filming Israeli tanks when he was killed. Two other Palestinian civilians were also killed in the same incident.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/976084.html

I wonder if the palestinian human rights group will urge Hamas terrorists to stop firing kadushas into kindergartens. Oh wait...there aren't any.

This is also my interpretation of what happened. However, it doesn't appear that there was any apparent (at least to the other reporters present) threat from the direction of the reporters from Reuters. I understand that this is a touchy issue, but the IDF should be more discriminating in their choice of targets.

I don't disagree with you at all. I object only to the one-sided arguments. I've never said there weren't discussions to be had. I just don't think they can successfully be had in a vacuum.

But Ha'aretz did cover it, and not only covered the event, but covered the urgings of an Israel human rights group

I wonder if the palestinian human rights group will urge Hamas terrorists to stop firing kadushas into kindergartens. Oh wait...there aren't any.

THERE it is.. how many pal KIDS died yesterday, Jill? Where is the national jewish outcry for the lives of dead pals like you expect every damn time a jewish kid dies?

I think it sends a helluva message to other PALS who woudl consider reporting the conflict outside of the zionist standard response: We'll kill you anyway and no one will stop us.

Again, read the above standard issue responces from the usual local zionists. TELL ME that a message wasn't sent. TELL ME that it wasn't recieved. It helps israel because they know they can get away with anything they want in the name of "defense". You might as well be laying on the same excuses for cluster bombing lebonese civilians. You can SAY that kind of action doesn't help their cause but, since we know how THAT little blank check fest ended, I guess we know how these things are easily rationalized for the sake of zion. You assume that the west WANTS an even playing field. This might be the case if 2k years of dogma were not intrinsically linked to the double standard at play.

I agree that Israel gets away with a lot in the name of defense, but there are always going to be people willing to do the work of the media, whether they are people who desperately need the money or people who courageously want to report the truth. Israel realizes that they can't stop that by killing a cameraman.

I don't assume that the west (or at least the United States) wants an even playing field.

I don't disagree with you at all. I object only to the one-sided arguments. I've never said there weren't discussions to be had. I just don't think they can successfully be had in a vacuum.

discussion my ass. Vaccum without using a double standard like the very oxygen we breath?

civilian pals are killed by ISRAEL and all Jillian can bring up are kassam rockets.

:rolleyes:

yea.. clearly there is no utility in molding how this conflict is seen externally.

But Ha'aretz did cover it, and not only covered the event, but covered the urgings of an Israeli human rights group

I didn't mean to imply that the Israeli press doesn't cover this. Merely that if it is their desire not to cover it, killing a cameraman is completely pointless to that end.

I agree that Israel gets away with a lot in the name of defense, but there are always going to be people willing to do the work of the media, whether they are people who desperately need the money or people who courageously want to report the truth. Israel realizes that they can't stop that by killing a cameraman.

I don't assume that the west (or at least the United States) wants an even playing field.

do you make the same allowance when giving nazi lectures? Was Geobbles just another dude who came along and stroked how the media presented the holocaust?

THERE it is.. how many pal KIDS died yesterday, Jill? Where is the national jewish outcry for the lives of dead pals like you expect every damn time a jewish kid dies?

Ohhhhhhhh... I get it. Israel is only allowed to respond if their children ACTUALLY get killed.

What a imbecilic thing to say. No one is talking about outcry. We're talking about defending oneself. I know you have no problem with Jews dying...and only concern yourself with palestinians. That's apparent. And I'm sure this thread wouldn't have existed if it had been an Israeli cameraman killed covering the kadusha rockets.

What a disingenuous twit you are.

discussion my ass. Vaccum without using a double standard like the very oxygen we breath?

civilian pals are killed by ISRAEL and all Jillian can bring up are kassam rockets.

yea.. clearly there is no utility in molding how this conflict is seen externally.

You can't completely separate the deaths of Palestinians and Israelis, just like you can't completely separate suicide bombers from the situation in Gaza and the buidling of settlements. These things really are inextricably intertwined.

I don't think that the molding you are referring to has anything to do with the death of a Reuters cameraman.

I didn't mean to imply that the Israeli press doesn't cover this. Merely that if it is their desire not to cover it, killing a cameraman is completely pointless to that end.

I was more responding to Shogie's rants. Your post was a conduit. ;)

I agree intentionally killing a cameraman is pointless. And I don't think anyone would be silly enough to think it was intentional.... well, maybe Shogie and a couple of others...

do you make the same allowance when giving nazi lectures? Was Geobbles just another dude who came along and stroked how the media presented the holocaust?

Fun to say, but I still haven't seen the connection between the death of this cameraman and an reorientation (in Israel's favor) in how the press will report events from Gaza.

Ohhhhhhhh... I get it. Israel is only allowed to respond if their children ACTUALLY get killed.

What a imbecilic thing to say. No one is talking about outcry. We're talking about defending oneself. I know you have no problem with Jews dying...and only palestinians.

I'm sure this thread wouldn't have existed if it had been an Israeli cameraman covering the kadusha rockets.

What a disingenuous twit you are.

No, ISRAEL is expected to give the same concern over the death of KIDS, Jill, regardless if they are JEWISH or PAL. For fucks sake, do you make this same distinction for WHITE kids being more important than BLACK kids in America? No? But you dont bat an eye in rationalizing the big ole blank check for israel, do you?

indeed, I see DEFENDING yourself in the video Jill. You KNOW how those reuters journalists are antisemite killers!

yea.. because we NEVER see the zionists cry like martyrs, and the JPOST wailing like collective victims, when jews are killed by pals. yups.. you sure are makeing accurate statement there!

hey, way to tack on the standard zionist operating procedure, jill. You sure do know iM a giant killer of jews!

Reilly, THAT is why israel perpetuates this kind of shit. So jill can call anyine who is not automatically in israels pockets an antisemite. If you are not with us you are against us, you know.

Fun to say, but I still haven't seen the connection between the death of this cameraman and an reorientation (in Israel's favor) in how the press will report events from Gaza.

then, like I said, you haven't been paying attention to zionist post. Take a gander at anything Jill has posted so far that requires a tear for israel before giving the first fuck about a dead bunch of pals.

I was more responding to Shogie's rants. Your post was a conduit. ;)

I agree intentionally killing a cameraman is pointless. And I don't think anyone would be silly enough to think it was intentional.... well, maybe Shogie and a couple of others...

yea.. of COURSE it was accidental! just like those phosphorus weapons launched at lebonese civilians were THEIR fault.

indeed, reilly, how much can YOU stomach in the name of israeli "defense"?

as much as a german could circa 1945?

then, like I said, you haven't been paying attention to zionist post. Take a gander at anything Jill has posted so far that requires a tear for israel before giving the first fuck about a dead bunch of pals.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight...because I so didn't post the Ha'aretz article.

Going back to misrepresenting articles again, are you, honey?

No, ISRAEL is expected to give the same concern over the death of KIDS, Jill, regardless if they are JEWISH or PAL. For fucks sake, do you make this same distinction for WHITE kids being more important than BLACK kids in America? No? But you dont bat an eye in rationalizing the big ole blank check for israel, do you?

indeed, I see DEFENDING yourself in the video Jill. You KNOW how those reuters journalists are antisemite killers!

yea.. because we NEVER see the zionists cry like martyrs, and the JPOST wailing like collective victims, when jews are killed by pals. yups.. you sure are makeing accurate statement there!

hey, way to tack on the standard zionist operating procedure, jill. You sure do know iM a giant killer of jews!

Reilly, THAT is why israel perpetuates this kind of shit. So jill can call anyine who is not automatically in israels pockets an antisemite. If you are not with us you are against us, you know.

Double standards in reporting the news always exist when you are talking about one's own press. Look how little coverage is given to every Iraqi child that dies versus each American servicemen. I would even agree that this double standard carries over to the American press with respect to Israel.

I don't think that is a fair characterization of Jillian. She seems more than willing to discuss Israeli abuses, provided they are addressed in connection with Palestinian abuses. The two are intertwined. How can you discuss apartheid (sorry, I know it is a loaded term) legislation in Israel without addressing suicide bombers? They go hand in hand.

yea.. of COURSE it was accidental! just like those phosphorus weapons launched at lebonese civilians were THEIR fault.

indeed, reilly, how much can YOU stomach in the name of israeli "defense"?

as much as a german could circa 1945?

I disagree with Israel's policies vis-a-vis the Palestinian territories, but take them for what they are. There is plenty to discuss with respect to both the Israelis and the Palestinians without claiming things like the targeting of journalists (for which, in this case, I don't believe we have evidence for).

I don't think that is a fair characterization of Jillian. She seems more than willing to discuss Israeli abuses, provided they are addressed in connection with Palestinian abuses. The two are intertwined. How can you discuss apartheid (sorry, I know it is a loaded term) legislation in Israel without addressing suicide bombers? They go hand in hand.

I'll ignore the apartheid reference because that would only open up another subject when this one is worthy of discussion.

You're right, of course. What I don't accept are things that villify Israel without any consideration of the full circumstances that exist. These aren't simple issues. They are issues of life and death and can't be viewed simplistically and through some unreasonable lens. I look at what the U.S. has done with respect to our freedoms since 9/11 and our actions in Iraq (which didn't even have anything to do with 9/11) and then I look at Israel which has been dealing with these issues for 60 years, mostly with restraint, though sometimes not... But I'm seriously not sure what one is supposed to do when missiles are aimed at one's children, notwithstanding Shogies' desire that they actually kill children before there's a response.

You're right, of course. What I don't accept are things that villify Israel without any consideration of the full circumstances that exist. These aren't simple issues. They are issues of life and death and can't be viewed simplistically and through some unreasonable lens. I look at what the U.S. has done with respect to our freedoms since 9/11 and our actions in Iraq (which didn't even have anything to do with 9/11) and then I look at Israel which has been dealing with these issues for 60 years, mostly with restraint, though sometimes not... But I'm seriously not sure what one is supposed to do when missiles are aimed at one's children, notwithstanding Shogies' desire that they actually kill children before there's a response.

I agree with all that you have said. I have to book, so I hope that you all have a nice night. Best wishes.

Forum List

Back