Reuters cameraman killed in Gaza by Israeli military

With respect to Israel, there are plenty of valid and strong arguments that they are acting inappropriately and wrongly in Gaza. Yet, by painting them out to be rabid killers of the news media because they don't like coverage, you are behaving little better than those who, instead of disagreeing with Obama because they don't like his policies, focus on the idea of him as a Trojan Horse muslim.

yea.. if only Obama had a history of activley marginalizing christians for the OPEN purpose of a christian zion..

your analogy is less than extraordinary.

The video clearly shows that they fired on the reporter. Nobody is disagreeing with that.

Yes, of course Israel doesn't like negative news coverage of what is going on in the Gaza strip. However, to jump from that to the idea that Israel was intentionally trying to kill members of the news media (so they will get better coverage???) is a leap. You may be right, but you have only asserted it, which doesn't make it true.

I guess we can just go ahead and let em get away with this same kind of shit a few more hundred times before we get around to doing anything about it. Hell, there is obviously a premium on jewish lives anyway. We learned that in Lebennon. Then, im sure, leaping all over phosphorus weapons used in civilian populations is alwo jumping the shark...

:rolleyes:

I guess we can just go ahead and let em get away with this same kind of shit a few more hundred times before we get around to doing anything about it. Hell, there is obviously a premium on jewish lives anyway. We learned that in Lebennon. Then, im sure, leaping all over phosphorus weapons used in civilian populations is alwo jumping the shark...

:rolleyes:

You are conflating two issues. The first is Israel's posture in Gaza generally. The second is the targeting of a news crew. Even if I agree with you about Israel's activities in Gaza generally, that doesn't mean they are targeting news crews.

Why would they do it?

It won't keep news agencies out of Gaza. There will always be news media in Gaza because that is where the news is. You know this. I know this. Israel knows this. (By way of an experiment, we can see how many news agencies still report from Gaza after this incident).

This event doesn't cast Israel in a better light. It certainly doesn't improve the news coverage. Likely, it will be met with widespread condemnation around the world.

So why?

You are conflating two issues. The first is Israel's posture in Gaza generally. The second is the targeting of a news crew. Even if I agree with you about Israel's activities in Gaza generally, that doesn't mean they are targeting news crews.

Why would they do it?

It won't keep news agencies out of Gaza. There will always be news media in Gaza because that is where the news is. You know this. I know this. Israel knows this. (By way of an experiment, we can see how many news agencies still report from Gaza after this incident).

This event doesn't cast Israel in a better light. It certainly doesn't improve the news coverage. Likely, it will be met with widespread condemnation around the world.

So why?

I made referance to the other posted article; im not confusing the two. WHY would they do it? Gosh, could it be for the same reason they insist on applying the label terrorist to anything in the way of the zionist directive? How many pal civilians died yesterday that you didn't know about, or give a dman about, because you never KNEW about tehm outside of their potiential terrorist or ACCEPTABLE collateral damage status? Kids, dude. and, apparently, reporters.

no, it will keep unbiased news agencies out of gaza. did you happen to notice that the reuters team in gaza are primarily... PALS? Israel isn't worried about the impression that fox news is going to give of this conflict. How do you think they feel about a PAL reporter working for reuters? Well, i guess we know.

Indeed, and we can also see how quick it takes the demonization process to start. it was probably antisemitic to even be recording a jewish tank, you know.

BUT, i'll take your challenge. One day out and how many other organizations, BESIDES REUTERS, is making a big deal out of this?

WIDESPREAD CONDEMNATION? surely you jest.

I made referance to the other posted article; im not confusing the two. WHY would they do it? Gosh, could it be for the same reason they insist on applying the label terrorist to anything in the way of the zionist directive? How many pal civilians died yesterday that you didn't know about, or give a dman about, because you never KNEW about tehm outside of their potiential terrorist or ACCEPTABLE collateral damage status? Kids, dude. and, apparently, reporters.

no, it will keep unbiased news agencies out of gaza. did you happen to notice that the reuters team in gaza are primarily... PALS? Israel isn't worried about the impression that fox news is going to give of this conflict. How do you think they feel about a PAL reporter working for reuters? Well, i guess we know.

Indeed, and we can also see how quick it takes the demonization process to start. it was probably antisemitic to even be recording a jewish tank, you know.

BUT, i'll take your challenge. One day out and how many other organizations, BESIDES REUTERS, is making a big deal out of this?

WIDESPREAD CONDEMNATION? surely you jest.

The deaths of palestinians generally is lamentable but not the topic of this conversation. (Feel free to get hissy about that)

Suppose you are right, and the reason they targeted a Palestinian cameraman is because they don't want non-palestinian reporters in Gaza. Why? First, I think your premise is wrong in that there are plenty of non-palestinian reporters in Gaza. Second, how does it help them with press coverage if all the reporters that are unbiased (your word) are kept out of Gaza and all the news is reported by Palestinians to the major news outlets? Finally (and here I am just curious about the assertion you are making), how did the tank crew one mile away know that the cameraman was Palestinian?

The International Press Institute condemned it today, but that wasn't my challenge. My question was how many news organization stop coverage from Gaza because of this? Killing this cameraman brings Israel nothing but bad coverage and doesn't stop the news anyway? Where is the advantage in it?

By the way, because it was a wire service cameraman, the story has been picked up by every major news outlet that I can find. NYT, WP, MSNBC, CBS, BBC, CBC, The Guardian, etc. all have coverage of it. Is this what Israel was hoping for?

funny, I dont see a single reference to it at Jpost... and the coverage elsewhere sure is muted, eh? Somehow, Fox mentioning it during a 5 second soundbyte that amounts to "well, it is a warzone" just doesn't impress em that much.

funny, I dont see a single reference to it at Jpost... and the coverage elsewhere sure is muted, eh? Somehow, Fox mentioning it during a 5 second soundbyte that amounts to "well, it is a warzone" just doesn't impress em that much.

Now the standard you want to employ is the Jerusalem Post standard? It isn't really covered unless it is in the Jerusalem Post?

The deaths of palestinians generally is lamentable but not the topic of this conversation. (Feel free to get hissy about that)

Suppose you are right, and the reason they targeted a Palestinian cameraman is because they don't want non-palestinian reporters in Gaza. Why? First, I think your premise is wrong in that there are plenty of non-palestinian reporters in Gaza. Second, how does it help them with press coverage if all the reporters that are unbiased (your word) are kept out of Gaza and all the news is reported by Palestinians to the major news outlets? Finally (and here I am just curious about the assertion you are making), how did the tank crew one mile away know that the cameraman was Palestinian?

The International Press Institute condemned it today, but that wasn't my challenge. My question was how many news organization stop coverage from Gaza because of this? Killing this cameraman brings Israel nothing but bad coverage and doesn't stop the news anyway? Where is the advantage in it?

you DO realize that the deadguy WAS a pal, right?

As to your third question: easy, they were the only news organization in sight filming israelis instead of filming rock throwing pals. I mean, I realize how confusing the words TV and PRESS is to read using enough optical equipment to validate an attack and all...

Where is the advantage? Gosh, I dunno why israel would want to mold how their interaction within the occupied territory is conveyed to the rest of the world. I guarentee you wont hear shit about this in one week. THAT, sir, is the advantage.

By the way, if you go to the Jerusalem Post and type into the search field "Reuters cameraman," it highlights a story from April 17th. I don't have premium access, so I can't read the story, but it appears that it may have made at least the single reference you seek. Neither here nor there (b/c it is irrelevant to what we are discussing), but I thought you should know.

Now the standard you want to employ is the Jerusalem Post standard? It isn't really covered unless it is in the Jerusalem Post?

I think that the fucking JPOST is pretty indicative of how ISRAELI news is released. Clearly, the last place hurricane Katrina should be advertised was in new orleans.

also, do 5 second soundbytes REALLY constitute "reporting" or "covering" this incident anyway? Mentioning the story the day after, BRIEFLY, amounts to what by next week when this will be neatly swept under the rug and forgotten?

By the way, if you go to the Jerusalem Post and type into the search field "Reuters cameraman," it highlights a story from April 17th. I don't have premium access, so I can't read the story, but it appears that it may have made at least the single reference you seek. Neither here nor there (b/c it is irrelevant to what we are discussing), but I thought you should know.

I posted the same search and came up with nothing. but, I have to say, it's hilarious that one must PAY for that story.. but let an arab kill a jewish civiilan and it's front page for free.

Search Results
Basic Advanced Saved Help
Start a New Search | Save this Search
Search: Reuters cameraman
Satisfaction guaranteed! If you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, visit myPQA.
Preview (Abstract/Citation) Preview Full Text (No Photos) Text (no photos) Not AvailableNot Available
Note: Only some document formats may be available
1 2 3 4 Next >>

1. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) IDF to escalate Gaza operations after 3 soldiers killed. Two Hamas cells implemented 'Field of Death' ambush * IAF strikes kill close to 20 Gazans
YAAKOV KATZ;KHALED ABU TOAMEH;Gil Hoffman; Jerusalem Post; Apr 17, 2008; pg. 1;
2. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Caught in the Mohammad al-Dura crossfire
CALEV BAN-DAVID; Jerusalem Post; Oct 12, 2007; pg. 15;
3. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) It's crucial to reveal the truth even at this late stage
NATAN SHARANSKY; Jerusalem Post; Oct 3, 2007; pg. 07;
4. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) A rotten state of affairs
CAROLINE B. GLICK; Jerusalem Post; Sep 11, 2007; pg. 16;
5. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Terrorist theater tricks
CAROLINE B. GLICK; Jerusalem Post; Aug 29, 2006; pg. 15;
6. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Reuters cameramen wounded in IAF air strike
Jerusalem Post staff; Jerusalem Post; Aug 28, 2006; pg. 04;
7. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Close-up
SAM SER; Jerusalem Post; Jun 1, 2006; pg. 26;
8. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Meet the prime minister
DAVID HOROVITZ; Jerusalem Post; Apr 22, 2005; pg. 24;
9. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Where the reporting stops
Jerusalem Post staff; Jerusalem Post; Jan 18, 2005; pg. 13;
10. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Liverpool pays tribute to slain hostage Kenneth Bigley
DOUGLAS DAVIS; Jerusalem Post; Oct 11, 2004; pg. 06;

As long as we want to talk about the Jerusalem Post, maybe a different perspective... (and again, before Shogie loses his little mind, I'm not saying all is perfect and well and only the palestinians are wrong... but....)

The IDF declared a full closure on the Gaza Strip and the West Bank on Friday, to remain in effect until after the Pessah holiday.

As Givati Brigade soldier David Papian z"l, who was killed early Wednesday along with two of his comrades in a clash with terrorists who tried to infiltrate Israel, was laid to rest Friday on Mt. Herzl in Jerusalem, Kassam rockets continued to pound southern Israel. Eight rockets were fired from the Gaza Strip, two of which landed in Sderot.
One caused a fired in a kindergarten, which was empty at the time. No wounded were reported as a result of the attacks.

Meanwhile, in the shadow of terrorist threats emanating from Hizbullah in the North to the Sinai Peninsula in the South, police districts around the country have gone on their highest level of alert ahead of Pessah holiday and Israel's 60th Independence Day celebrations.

During the first stage of preparations - which is already under way - thousands of police will form three rings of security extending from the Green Line marking the border with the West Bank, through to Israeli city centers, a police statement said.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1208422639042&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull

So, given that Israel was responding to rockets hitting schools and terrorists trying to infiltrate ... one might understand its first concern isn't the people who got in the way voluntarily... as sad as it is that the photographer died.

Just saying.

you DO realize that the deadguy WAS a pal, right?

As to your third question: easy, they were the only news organization in sight filming israelis instead of filming rock throwing pals. I mean, I realize how confusing the words TV and PRESS is to read using enough optical equipment to validate an attack and all...

Where is the advantage? Gosh, I dunno why israel would want to mold how their interaction within the occupied territory is conveyed to the rest of the world. I guarentee you wont hear shit about this in one week. THAT, sir, is the advantage.

I realize that he was Palestinian.

How does killing a cameraman improve their coverage around the world? If, as you suggest, it means a greater percentage of the reporters to the world's major news agencies are Palestinian, how does this help Israel? Do you think Israel believes this will lead to more objective, balanced coverage?

Face it, this doesn't help Israel a bit in terms of news coverage. News will continue to be reported. Worldwide coverage isn't going to be qualified "this reporter is Palestinian." The press isn't going to feel any warmer towards Israel. So once again, why?

I think that the fucking JPOST is pretty indicative of how ISRAELI news is released. Clearly, the last place hurricane Katrina should be advertised was in new orleans.

also, do 5 second soundbytes REALLY constitute "reporting" or "covering" this incident anyway? Mentioning the story the day after, BRIEFLY, amounts to what by next week when this will be neatly swept under the rug and forgotten?

Sure, but if the JPost doesn't want to cover negative events in Gaza, it won't. Killing a reporter doesn't matter one way or the other.

I posted the same search and came up with nothing. but, I have to say, it's hilarious that one must PAY for that story.. but let an arab kill a jewish civiilan and it's front page for free.

Search Results
Basic Advanced Saved Help
Start a New Search | Save this Search
Search: Reuters cameraman
Satisfaction guaranteed! If you're not completely satisfied with your purchase, visit myPQA.
Preview (Abstract/Citation) Preview Full Text (No Photos) Text (no photos) Not AvailableNot Available
Note: Only some document formats may be available
1 2 3 4 Next >>

1. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) IDF to escalate Gaza operations after 3 soldiers killed. Two Hamas cells implemented 'Field of Death' ambush * IAF strikes kill close to 20 Gazans
YAAKOV KATZ;KHALED ABU TOAMEH;Gil Hoffman; Jerusalem Post; Apr 17, 2008; pg. 1;
2. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Caught in the Mohammad al-Dura crossfire
CALEV BAN-DAVID; Jerusalem Post; Oct 12, 2007; pg. 15;
3. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) It's crucial to reveal the truth even at this late stage
NATAN SHARANSKY; Jerusalem Post; Oct 3, 2007; pg. 07;
4. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) A rotten state of affairs
CAROLINE B. GLICK; Jerusalem Post; Sep 11, 2007; pg. 16;
5. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Terrorist theater tricks
CAROLINE B. GLICK; Jerusalem Post; Aug 29, 2006; pg. 15;
6. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Reuters cameramen wounded in IAF air strike
Jerusalem Post staff; Jerusalem Post; Aug 28, 2006; pg. 04;
7. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Close-up
SAM SER; Jerusalem Post; Jun 1, 2006; pg. 26;
8. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Meet the prime minister
DAVID HOROVITZ; Jerusalem Post; Apr 22, 2005; pg. 24;
9. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Where the reporting stops
Jerusalem Post staff; Jerusalem Post; Jan 18, 2005; pg. 13;
10. Preview (Abstract/Citation) Full Text (No Photos) Liverpool pays tribute to slain hostage Kenneth Bigley
DOUGLAS DAVIS; Jerusalem Post; Oct 11, 2004; pg. 06;

I agree that paying for the story is ridiculous. My guess is that it is in the first story, dated April 17.

I realize that he was Palestinian.

How does killing a cameraman improve their coverage around the world? If, as you suggest, it means a greater percentage of the reporters to the world's major news agencies are Palestinian, how does this help Israel? Do you think Israel believes this will lead to more objective, balanced coverage?

Face it, this doesn't help Israel a bit in terms of news coverage. News will continue to be reported. Worldwide coverage isn't going to be qualified "this reporter is Palestinian." The press isn't going to feel any warmer towards Israel. So once again, why?

I think it sends a helluva message to other PALS who woudl consider reporting the conflict outside of the zionist standard response: We'll kill you anyway and no one will stop us.

Again, read the above standard issue responces from the usual local zionists. TELL ME that a message wasn't sent. TELL ME that it wasn't recieved. It helps israel because they know they can get away with anything they want in the name of "defense". You might as well be laying on the same excuses for cluster bombing lebonese civilians. You can SAY that kind of action doesn't help their cause but, since we know how THAT little blank check fest ended, I guess we know how these things are easily rationalized for the sake of zion. You assume that the west WANTS an even playing field. This might be the case if 2k years of dogma were not intrinsically linked to the double standard at play.

Sure, but if the JPost doesn't want to cover negative events in Gaza, it won't. Killing a reporter doesn't matter one way or the other.

oh it matters and is quite indicative of the rampant racism that would otherwise automatically get me labeled antisemite despite the evidence provided. Like I said, the LAST place you'd expect to see news coverage of 9/11 was NYC, eh?

I agree that paying for the story is ridiculous. My guess is that it is in the first story, dated April 17.

it's not. none of those required membership.

funny how that works, eh?

So, given that Israel was responding to rockets hitting schools and terrorists trying to infiltrate ... one might understand its first concern isn't the people who got in the way voluntarily... as sad as it is that the photographer died.

Just saying.

This is also my interpretation of what happened. However, it doesn't appear that there was any apparent (at least to the other reporters present) threat from the direction of the reporters from Reuters. I understand that this is a touchy issue, but the IDF should be more discriminating in their choice of targets.

Forum List

Back