Restaurant Adds Mandatory Tip for Non-English Speakers

This American tradition of tipping people for doing their job is very strange to outsiders

Yes it is. Imagine if all those places you like to go out to eat and have to tip, paying their employees fair wages instead instead of you not having to tip.

Don't you think the price of your food and drink would go up to make up for it?

That works for me. Minimum wage. If they don't do their jobs 110% with a smile, they get fired. And the shop keeps all tips left.

Kind of surprising that Hawai'i is doing this. From Arizona or New Mexico or Texas, yeah I could see it. But Hawai'i? :confused:
It's worse then you think:

HI_Black.jpg

You know Tank, I'm genuinely surprised you haven't posted some link to an anecdote about how black people don't tip. I thought for sure you'd have included it in the OP actually.

This American tradition of tipping people for doing their job is very strange to outsiders

Yes it is. Imagine if all those places you like to go out to eat and have to tip, paying their employees fair wages instead instead of you not having to tip.

Here's a radical thought, how about you just pay for the food you order, and if the wait staff are very attentive you pay them extra at your discretion?

Is ebonics considered 'non-english'? Cuz I've heard that those who speak it are notoriously niggardly.

Here's a radical thought, how about you just pay for the food you order, and if the wait staff are very attentive you pay them extra at your discretion?

Yeah, at $2.15 an hour they have to be that way anyway to make tips.

But if you treat your server like a servant...............

If you are obliged to pay a service charge, then it's no longer a tip, so why give special service?

If you are obliged to pay a service charge, then it's no longer a tip, so why give special service?

If i am obliged to pay a service charge..i DAMN well better get some fine service.

Syrenn Im sure a girl of your caliber get's some DAMN fine service on the house:eusa_drool:

Kind of surprising that Hawai'i is doing this. From Arizona or New Mexico or Texas, yeah I could see it. But Hawai'i? :confused:

Why not just put something on the receipt, like "Please consider tipping your server. They make less than $3 an hour without your gratuity, and have to put up with a lot of shit throughout the day. Don't be a cheap-ass. Thanks."

Or, just add the 15% to ALL the bills.............

Places do that if there is a party of 6 or more all the time. If they feel their employees are getting stiffed then they can just add it on for all, and people can choose to eat there or not knowing that.

You know something? I have never eaten at a place that does that, but I have to say, that if I did, I would refuse to pay the frigging tip. I'm sorry, a tip is supposed to be a "thank you" to the server for the job they did. It is never supposed to be mandatory. I pay 20% (rounded off) when I go out to eat, but I will be dog-goned if I am going to let a restaurant require a tip.

And if I went into a restaurant and saw that, I would leave and never return.

Immie

If people have such a huge problem with restaurants who do this, the simple solution is to simply not go to these restaurants. Personally, I'm conflicted on the issue of tipping and I can see both sides. I do always try to tip at least 15%. However, what I can say and do believe is that there should be no law against things like having to tip 15% automatically if you have a larger party than 6 or whatever.

For those who decide to not go, maybe it will encourage them to go home and make something healthy instead of ordering a few days worth of calories in one sitting. However, I doubt it.

The larger problem here is the Government should not be taxing waitresses tips in the first place. Especially since (correct me if I'm wrong someone) the government taxes waitresses/waiters for tips whether they receive them or not.

Last edited:
If the server knows what size tip they will recieve, the incentive of the job is lost.

Anyways:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most disappointing things about this thread is the thread starter turned this very interesting issue about tipping, etc and turned it into an excuse to be racist against African Americans.

One of the most disappointing things about this thread is the thread starter turned this very interesting issue about tipping, etc and turned it into an excuse to be racist against African Americans.

So you'all want grits with that?

If people have such a huge problem with restaurants who do this, the simple solution is to simply not go to these restaurants. Personally, I'm conflicted on the issue of tipping and I can see both sides. I do always try to tip at least 15%. However, what I can say and do believe is that there should be no law against things like having to tip 15% automatically if you have a larger party than 6 or whatever.

For those who decide to not go, maybe it will encourage them to go home and make something healthy instead of ordering a few days worth of calories in one sitting. However, I doubt it.

The larger problem here is the Government should not be taxing waitresses tips in the first place. Especially since (correct me if I'm wrong someone) the government taxes waitresses/waiters for tips whether they receive them or not.

The government can only tax on what is put on a credit card. The rest that is paid for in cash they cannot track. Usually they are only taxed on 1/2.... one half... of their tips.

The government can only tax on what is put on a credit card. The rest that is paid for in cash they cannot track. Usually they are only taxed on 1/2.... one half... of their tips.

No, at least not here in Indiana.

You have to claim 8% of what you sell in food and drinks, so if you sell $500 you claim $40.00 of tips for the night to the IRS. This covers those assholes who don't tip, and those who do...and the IRS is getting their 'share' too.

Don't forget that waitstaff ALSO have to tip out bussers, bartenders, sometimes even the food runner and the hostess.............

Been there, done that..........

Not complaining , I made GREAT money while working as a waitress and a bartender.

Welcome to a Tank thread! Just ignore him and join the adults talking in this thread.

You have to claim 8% of what you sell in food and drinks, so if you sell $500 you claim $40.00 of tips for the night to the IRS. This covers those assholes who don't tip, and those who do...and the IRS is getting their 'share' too.

Don't forget that waitstaff ALSO have to tip out bussers, bartenders, sometimes even the food runner and the hostess.............

Not complaining , I made GREAT money while working as a waitress and a bartender.

So claiming 8% sure isn't claiming 15% now is it. Claiming $40 when you actually make $75 isn't to bad. I wish i could do that and get away with it when it came around to tax time. Sounds like a scam to me.

Ive see it all too. Wait staff are whiners. :lol:

Last edited:

So claiming 8% sure isn't claiming 15% now is it. Claiming $40 when you actually make $75 isn't to bad. I wish i could do that and get away with it when it came around to tax time. Sounds like a scam to me.

Yeah, it's all a scam against the government I guess!

Wait staff are whiners, chefs are whiners, bartenders are whiners, bussers are whiners, expo, prep, dishwashers, etc....ALL WHINERS! :lol:

Yeah, it's all a scam against the government I guess!

Wait staff are whiners, chefs are whiners, bartenders are whiners, bussers are whiners, expo, prep, dishwashers, etc....ALL WHINERS! :lol:

I agree! The Pastry chef's aren't part of the whiners and they RULE!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back