Research: The intellectual differences between liberals and conservatives

Well, all I have to say to that 6% number is most scientists do not affiliate themselves with either party or ideology. I would say the vast majority do not.

Last edited:
That liberals are smarter than conservatives is a myth. I am smarter than conservatives. Generalization from this one example is however unwarranted. :D

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Cargo Train:

monstertrain-470-0210.jpg

1. I have never had anything delivered to my doorstep by a cargo train. You?

2. Cargo trains are not light rail.

3. Were you all proud of yourself for thinking up the concept of the "cargo bus"?

1. When was the last time you have cargo delivered to your doorstep from one of these "busses."

2. The premise remains absolutely the same.

3. Just because you can't think of a good argument doesn't mean you need to resort to that stupid unmoderated bullshit. Please stay on topic.

What this argument has shown me is that a mix of the two is what is necessary.

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Is that what you do, Dave?
No, I'm a contract inspector for the Corps of Engineers. I have a cousin-in-law who's a trucker, though. It's a tough job. Luckily, he's a tough guy.

Indeed it's a tough job. There are some scary people out there who drive trucks, though. Not just the serial killer types (like the one who recently operated in TN), but their health. Many of them are not very healthy...at all!

I've seen everything from a trucker in ventricular tachycardia (a cardiac rhythm incompatible with life), to one with fly larva in his legs.

There are some very safe ones; and there are some who are downright scary.

Not hating, man. Just stating facts.

Let me know the next time you make it to a distant location faster than a train when you are using a bicycle or by walking.

You really want me to take that challenge?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1bFR5LOcg]17 Miles in Just 78 Minutes! Light Rail vs. Reality in LA - YouTube[/ame]

There is also the point that every technophile I have EVER known has been conservative. (Not necessarily republican)

Also if we don't work on things like the light rail now, the technology will never advance to the point where it would be better than the old shit it is replacing.

Imagine if they had never build the car because at first it was more trouble than a horse and far more costly?

There you go.

Can you explain how light rail will ever replace buses? It runs on tracks, do you think they will develop a way for the train car to lay its own tracks when there is an accident so that it can go a different way? The problems with light rail lay in the rails, not the cars. Trains are obsolete, yet you are arguing in favor of them because they might find a way to make rails change paths or something.

As for technophobes all being conservative, anecdotal evidence only proves that you can tell stories. The people I know who oppose new technology, like nuclear power, are all liberals. I can actually provide examples, if you like, or you could just admit I am right.

Fearing the advance of technology is techno-phobia, fearing a specific technology is just fearing a specific technology.

Not saying rail systems replace buses as a whole, but if what you say is true, would not cargo buses be better than cargo trains?

Ever hear of trucks? They just invented them last year, I expect they will reach your city soon.

Give him time. When he sees that his 6% comment isn't getting any traction, he'll bring race into it.

To be fair, that isn't really a lie. It's the National Science Foundation's statistics of its own members.
No, it's a Pew study of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Flacaltenn skewered this study here.

It's full of crap.

Nothing was "skewered". Just someone who disagreed with the study, but no counter argument. Not one of any worth.

pew-science.gif

But let's look at some facts:

You can go online and find all kinds of organizations dedicated to science but founded by different social and ethnic groups. Societies of Scientists made up of "Gays, blacks, Hispanics, women, and so on". But the only ones made up of conservatives or Republicans are pushing "magical creation over evolution" or "science is a faith" or "climate change is a conspiracy". Why do right wing clowns still insist scientists must be Republicans and Conservatives? Next, they'll be telling us the Republican Party isn't 90% white.

Cosmic Log - Climate controversy spotlights GOP stands on science

There you go.

Can you explain how light rail will ever replace buses? It runs on tracks, do you think they will develop a way for the train car to lay its own tracks when there is an accident so that it can go a different way? The problems with light rail lay in the rails, not the cars. Trains are obsolete, yet you are arguing in favor of them because they might find a way to make rails change paths or something.

As for technophobes all being conservative, anecdotal evidence only proves that you can tell stories. The people I know who oppose new technology, like nuclear power, are all liberals. I can actually provide examples, if you like, or you could just admit I am right.

Fearing the advance of technology is techno-phobia, fearing a specific technology is just fearing a specific technology.

Not saying rail systems replace buses as a whole, but if what you say is true, would not cargo buses be better than cargo trains?

Ever hear of trucks? They just invented them last year, I expect they will reach your city soon.

Allusion is a common communication technique.

Allusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Allusion is a common communication technique.

Allusion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you for noticing.

To be fair, that isn't really a lie. It's the National Science Foundation's statistics of its own members.
No, it's a Pew study of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

It's full of crap.

Nothing was "skewered". Just someone who disagreed with the study, but no counter argument. Not one of any worth.

pew-science.gif

You can go online and find all kinds of organizations dedicated to science but founded by different social and ethnic groups. Societies of Scientists made up of "Gays, blacks, Hispanics, women, and so on". But the only ones made up of conservatives or Republicans are pushing "magical creation over evolution" or "science is a faith" or "climate change is a conspiracy". Why do right wing clowns still insist scientists must be Republicans and Conservatives? Next, they'll be telling us the Republican Party isn't 90% white.

No Windbag, it's not a lie.

A lie is "magical creation".

A lie is "science is a faith".

A lie is "climate change is a conspiracy".

A lie is "more than 6% of scientists are Republican".

THOSE are lies.

If you go to right wing universities, the majority don't teach "evolution" or teach the minimum to be accredited. They teach "Natural Science". You know, "bees pollinate flowers" and "the green stuff in plants turns sunlight to energy". Anything touching on evolution, they go to great lengths to avoid.

I've put up enough links to know this is true.

To be fair, what you just said is a lie.

The 6% number is not a lie, but it is an internal number and is altogether meaningless.

It is a lie, rdean got his numbers from a phone in survey of the AAAS, not from the NSF.

It's not a lie, just a misunderstanding. I remember reading the poll was conducted by the NSF, I was mistake, it was actually the AAAS. That does not invalidate my point.

Cargo Train:

monstertrain-470-0210.jpg

1. I have never had anything delivered to my doorstep by a cargo train. You?

2. Cargo trains are not light rail.

3. Were you all proud of yourself for thinking up the concept of the "cargo bus"?

1. When was the last time you have cargo delivered to your doorstep from one of these "busses."
Never, actually, at home. At my last place of work -- all the time.
2. The premise remains absolutely the same.
Yet practically, they're not. And in the real world, practicality is what matters.
3. Just because you can't think of a good argument doesn't mean you need to resort to that stupid unmoderated bullshit. Please stay on topic.
I have been presenting good arguments, although, granted, none as totally awesome as the cargo bus.

Oh, and I shall continue to post in the manner I please, thank you very much. There's nothing in the TOS about not mocking mock-worthy statements.
What this argument has shown me is that a mix of the two is what is necessary.
It's not worth it.

Light rail project over budget - News14.com

L.A.

Sacramento RT over budget on new light-rail line

HRT indefinitely halts study on light rail in Virginia Beach | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Is that what you do, Dave?
No, I'm a contract inspector for the Corps of Engineers. I have a cousin-in-law who's a trucker, though. It's a tough job. Luckily, he's a tough guy.

Indeed it's a tough job. There are some scary people out there who drive trucks, though. Not just the serial killer types (like the one who recently operated in TN), but their health. Many of them are not very healthy...at all!

I've seen everything from a trucker in ventricular tachycardia (a cardiac rhythm incompatible with life), to one with fly larva in his legs.

Oh, understood, certainly. There are just way too many truck drivers on the road to expect they'd all be 100% safe to drive.

The 6% number is not a lie, but it is an internal number and is altogether meaningless.

It is a lie, rdean got his numbers from a phone in survey of the AAAS, not from the NSF.

It's not a lie, just a misunderstanding. I remember reading the poll was conducted by the NSF, I was mistake, it was actually the AAAS. That does not invalidate my point.

I'm curious. Considering Republicans stance on entire areas of science, including evolution, climate change and even geology (Grand Canyon made by Noah's Flood), why would you think more than 6% of scientists would be Republican?

Oh, understood, certainly. There are just way too many truck drivers on the road to expect they'd all be 100% safe to drive.

Now imagine how many would have to be on the road if we didn't have trains transporting some of those goods? We would have to build thousands of new roadways at an incredible expense.

It's full of crap.

pew-science.gif

Yes, it was skewered, and you look like an utter imbecile every time you trot out that nonsense.

But, in your defense, you've never minded looking like an utter imbecile.

Forum List

Back