Research: The intellectual differences between liberals and conservatives

I challenge you to post once without mindlessly repeating a bullshit lie.

You can't do it.
His partisanship precludes it...I'm shocked he didn't bring race into it.
Give him time. When he sees that his 6% comment isn't getting any traction, he'll bring race into it.

To be fair, that isn't really a lie. It's the National Science Foundation's statistics of its own members.

Liberals also generally accept new technology while conservatives, by definition, want nothing to do with progress.

Hence the conservative title.

I do not see liberals being more intelligent, just more open minded.

Conservatives resist new technology and liberals embrace it? Why do liberals like light rail? Do you really think that something that has to run on tracks that cannot be moved works better than a bus that can take a different route to avoid problems? Doesn't it make more sense to buy 8 buses that are more flexible and can carry more people than it does to purchase a single light rail car that shuts down completely if there is an accident?

For the record, being a conservative, I oppose light rail because it sucks, not because it is new.

There is also the point that every technophile I have EVER known has been conservative. (Not necessarily republican)

Also if we don't work on things like the light rail now, the technology will never advance to the point where it would be better than the old shit it is replacing.

Imagine if they had never build the car because at first it was more trouble than a horse and far more costly?

There you go.

Can you explain how light rail will ever replace buses? It runs on tracks, do you think they will develop a way for the train car to lay its own tracks when there is an accident so that it can go a different way? The problems with light rail lay in the rails, not the cars. Trains are obsolete, yet you are arguing in favor of them because they might find a way to make rails change paths or something.

As for technophobes all being conservative, anecdotal evidence only proves that you can tell stories. The people I know who oppose new technology, like nuclear power, are all liberals. I can actually provide examples, if you like, or you could just admit I am right.

It's cheap transport that could drive down the prices of gas if more people use it.

Again: Light rail is useful in some circumstances, in some parts of the nation. But it's useless in most of the country, to most of the people, despite the lofty pronouncements of liberals.

It would be astoundingly wasteful in my entire state, with the exception of Lexington -- maybe.

People are not going to give up their cars. Period.
Light rail has been bantered about here where I live in NE Florida for over 20 years...No agreement...no fruition. People here don't want to give up thier liberties.

It goes nowhere.

It goes nowhere at a very heft price tag.

Conservatives resist new technology and liberals embrace it? Why do liberals like light rail? Do you really think that something that has to run on tracks that cannot be moved works better than a bus that can take a different route to avoid problems? Doesn't it make more sense to buy 8 buses that are more flexible and can carry more people than it does to purchase a single light rail car that shuts down completely if there is an accident?

For the record, being a conservative, I oppose light rail because it sucks, not because it is new.

There is also the point that every technophile I have EVER known has been conservative. (Not necessarily republican)

Also if we don't work on things like the light rail now, the technology will never advance to the point where it would be better than the old shit it is replacing.

Imagine if they had never build the car because at first it was more trouble than a horse and far more costly?

There you go.

Can you explain how light rail will ever replace buses? It runs on tracks, do you think they will develop a way for the train car to lay its own tracks when there is an accident so that it can go a different way? The problems with light rail lay in the rails, not the cars. Trains are obsolete, yet you are arguing in favor of them because they might find a way to make rails change paths or something.

As for technophobes all being conservative, anecdotal evidence only proves that you can tell stories. The people I know who oppose new technology, like nuclear power, are all liberals. I can actually provide examples, if you like, or you could just admit I am right.

Fearing the advance of technology is techno-phobia, fearing a specific technology is just fearing a specific technology.

Not saying rail systems replace buses as a whole, but if what you say is true, would not cargo buses be better than cargo trains?

I can't see much difference as far as embracing technology. I'm willing to bet Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were both conservatives, for instance.

As far as intelligence goes, you can't get more objective than IQ scores.

Steve Jobs was a well known hyper-liberal Buddhist. Bill Gates was liberal until the 80's.

Also, IQ are actually fairly subjective.

Fair enough.

No way are they subjective. Just because it it isn't a comprehensive measure of intelligence, it doesn't mean it isn't objective. What could possibly be more objective?

IQs are subjective, they measure the criteria the person who designed the test thinks are pertinent, and two people with equal abilities can score differently on the same test.

Good IQ Score: Misconceptions and Truths | Personal development articles

Liberals also generally accept new technology while conservatives, by definition, want nothing to do with progress.

i'm sure there are some liberals that like technology. (not necessarily democrats)

I was reading an interesting article that looked at the differences in brain structure between samples of people who identified themselves as liberal and people who identified as conserative. The study indicates that conservatives have larger amygdalas while liberals have larger anterior cingulate cortexes.

The amygdala is involved with memory and processing emotional reactions. This suggest that conservatives are more efficient at processing threats.

The anterior cingulate cortex is involved with several autonomic functions, such as regulating blood pressure and heart rate, as well as rational cognitive functions like reward anticipation, decision-making, empathy and emotion. This means that liberals may be more efficient at managing conflicting information

Current Biology - Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults

This study says that liberals, on average, have higher IQ's than conservatives:

Why Liberals and Atheists Are More Intelligent

I can't wait for all of the rants about the supposed "liberal indoctrination" in higher education as a response to this thread. :lol:

Perhaps this is why a measly 6% of scientists are Republican.

YAY

The 6% is back, it has been so long I thought you forgot it.

liberals-yeah-liberals-are-like-that-political-poster-1280929332.jpg

That technology was probably created by liberals over conservatives at around 55 to 6.

His partisanship precludes it...I'm shocked he didn't bring race into it.
Give him time. When he sees that his 6% comment isn't getting any traction, he'll bring race into it.

To be fair, that isn't really a lie. It's the National Science Foundation's statistics of its own members.
No, it's a Pew study of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Flacaltenn skewered this study here.

It's full of crap.

There you go.

Fearing the advance of technology is techno-phobia, fearing a specific technology is just fearing a specific technology.

Not saying rail systems replace buses as a whole, but if what you say is true, would not cargo buses be better than cargo trains?
Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I was reading an interesting article that looked at the differences in brain structure between samples of people who identified themselves as liberal and people who identified as conserative. The study indicates that conservatives have larger amygdalas while liberals have larger anterior cingulate cortexes.

The amygdala is involved with memory and processing emotional reactions. This suggest that conservatives are more efficient at processing threats.

The anterior cingulate cortex is involved with several autonomic functions, such as regulating blood pressure and heart rate, as well as rational cognitive functions like reward anticipation, decision-making, empathy and emotion. This means that liberals may be more efficient at managing conflicting information

Current Biology - Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults

This study says that liberals, on average, have higher IQ's than conservatives:

Why Liberals and Atheists Are More Intelligent

I can't wait for all of the rants about the supposed "liberal indoctrination" in higher education as a response to this thread. :lol:

The explanation is simple, free will is real, but only conservatives have it, liberals are programmed by the chemicals in their brains to believe things that have been thoroughly debunked.

Wow... little JUDGMENTAL there, windbag? Just sayin'

Judgmental?

What, exactly, is judgmental about pointing out that relying on debunked studies to make a point is really stupid? If I point to old studies that show something that has been thoroughly debunked in order to prove something I would expect to be mocked, I would even want to be mocked, therefore I mock those that do the same.

Maybe you should give up on trying to use the Bible against me until you have at least read the whole thing, including the verses that talk about Christians judging angels.

There you go.

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Is that what you do, Dave?

There you go.

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

:rofl:

There you go.

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Cargo Train:

monstertrain-470-0210.jpg

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Is that what you do, Dave?
No, I'm a contract inspector for the Corps of Engineers. I have a cousin-in-law who's a trucker, though. It's a tough job. Luckily, he's a tough guy.

Cargo bus:

18wheeler.jpg

Cargo Train:

monstertrain-470-0210.jpg

1. I have never had anything delivered to my doorstep by a cargo train. You?

2. Cargo trains are not light rail.

3. Were you all proud of yourself for thinking up the concept of the "cargo bus"?

Forum List

Back