repubs going after retirement

Yes its amazing how the Right is concerned about the SS which is failing and will fail once the full force of all the retiree's hit the system. Mean while the left continues the scream THERE IS NOTHING WRONG THERE IS NOTHING WRONG while doing absolutely nothing to help the system other then to continue defunding and it spending it.

One would think the left would be far more concerned about this subject given that it will impact the left more then any other demographic.

Yes its tragic the right cares about people who will have nothing when they are forced to retire.

the teabaggers are after mom and pop , they are going after cuts in social security ,

not worried , I'm sure kids will take their aging parents into their homes , make you the difference in what was cut,

it will bring families together , and get along fine .

It's NOT failing, this is just more nonsense.

SS is solvent, and is predicted to remain solvent until 2056.

The system needs an overhaul, but upping the retirement age by a few years will keep the fund solvent for the foreseeable future.

Interesting how you think people taking care of their own families, rather than expecting Daddy Government to do it for them, is an unexpected side effect, rather than one of the primary points, of the conservative philosophy.

you don't earn a salary do you ? or are you that stupid you don't know what's taken out and why ? look up FICA , unemployment is insurance as is SS both taken out without consent , it just is , but you still have problems reading , I post that you should take in your parents they support you through half your life now its your turn .

What the fuck are you babbling about? Does the concept of "linear conversation" ring any bells with you? What does "what's taken out and why" have to do with YOUR post suggesting that families taking over more of the care for their own members when SS is cut back is an unexpected side effect, rather than being intentional? What does any of this farrago you posted have to do with the post you're allegedly replying to? Or were you just hoping that if you threw out enough insults, it would look like you had a valid criticism of my post without you actually having one?

My parents did not "support me through half my life", you ignorant shithead, and no amount of inane, unrelated blather on your part about FICA and unemployment is going to change that, since I've never received either unemployment or Social Security checks, so those withdrawals from their checks had nothing to do with me. But as it happens, not that it's ANY of your goddamned business and not that you aren't an imbecilic, ill-mannered jerkwad for trying to make an issue discussion personal and offensive by dragging people's families into it, my siblings and I DID help to care for my father until he died, and we still do help out with my mother, who has her own income.

When I read your first post, I thought you were an illiterate jizzwad. Thanks for confirming it for me.

I can see how you feel about your parents , I guess they'll have to make it on what ever , ya not all are dependent om SS , and your parents suck if they except SS and have enough money to retire . that show the stock that bred a ass hole like you . but others lost it when the repigs crashed the market ,

the teabaggers are after mom and pop , they are going after cuts in social security ,

not worried , I'm sure kids will take their aging parents into their homes , make you the difference in what was cut,

Interesting how you think people taking care of their own families, rather than expecting Daddy Government to do it for them, is an unexpected side effect, rather than one of the primary points, of the conservative philosophy.
*********************************************************************************
Retirement: The French spend longer than most in retirement
Sep 9th 2010

..... The French spend longer in retirement than almost anybody else. French women enjoy 28 years as pensioners and French men 24 years, six years more than the OECD average. Americans, by contrast, have among the shortest spells in retirement: just 18 years for men, and 21 years for women. France’s government does not, though, spend as much money on pensions as Italy’s, which devotes 14.1% of GDP to retirement spending, next to 12.5% in France and just 6% in America.

http://www.economist.com/node/17008998
Compared to most modern nations, the American government spends far less on pensions as a % of GDP than most other modern democracies.

The US has the oldest retirement age (67 years) and a relatively short lifespan - according to the 2011 CIA World Factbook, the life expectancy of the average American was 78.37 years, ranking 50th in the world).

Americans can expect to enjoy the fewest number of retirement years than any of the 10 nations studied (France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Canada, Spain, Sweden, Britain, Japan, US).

The bottom line is that American society is not particularily generous or kind to its retired citizens - based on international conparisons.

Last edited:
The whole concept of retirement is wrong. Why on earth should the people who have lived the longest and experienced the most in life stop contributing to our society? Why would anyone want to not work anyway? What's the point in life if you aren't contributing something?

Both the dems and repubs already spent our social security, and next their going after your 401k, they are just trying to blame each other for it. The money's already spent and now the bill's coming due. The money is gone, adjustments must be made in benefits, thank your politicians and deal with it.
May I remind you that our social security accounts are on loan to the goverment and secured by United States Bonds as IOU chits?

Last edited:
The whole concept of retirement is wrong. Why on earth should the people who have lived the longest and experienced the most in life stop contributing to our society? Why would anyone want to not work anyway? What's the point in life if you aren't contributing something?
Av, we don't always have a choice, especially those of us who have done physical work all our lives, and exhausted our bodies. And in case a person who has worked all their lives thinks they can transition to another job, they learn that the younger person will get the call for an interview, to be considered for a job, and not they.

BTW Bush offered a viable solution to the SS problem, but he lacked the political capital to bring it anywhere near to fruition, so it went nowhere. The best idea for a final solution, to both SS and Medicare costs is the government deciding who will get healthcare going forward with Obamacare; that will render the problem moot.

Last edited:
Why not a SS deduction on all income, no limit. How about a means test to qualify for SS. I know everyone pays' into the SS "trust fund", which is nothing more than another income tax, and SS could be there for those that need it. Now, people like warren buffet and other wealthy can collect SS but why? Just because they paid into it? I paid into a lot of things through income tax that I never was able to use. I never used un-employment, welfare, disability a lot of things I paid for. The wealthy would just include SS as something they paid for but will never use.
I think a means test for Social Security disbursement is a good idea.

I collect Social Security now but rather than reduce allotments across the board, which would seriously affect a lot of people who really need every penny, I wouldn't miss it if mine were reduced by a few percent. And I know people who don't need their Social Security allotments at all. (My brother-in-law for one.)

Av, we don't always have a choice, especially those of us who have done physical work all our lives, and exhausted our bodies. And in case a person who has worked all their lives thinks they can transition to another job, they learn that the younger person will get the call for an interview, to be considered for a job, and not they.

BTW Bush offered a viable solution to the SS problem, but he lacked the political capital to bring it anywhere near to fruition, so it went nowhere. The best idea for a final solution, to both SS and Medicare costs is the government deciding who will get healthcare going forward with Obamacare; that will render the problem moot.

There is always a choice. If you cant convince someone to give you a job, you create your own. There is always work to do.

Social Security needs a little math adjustment. Start bumping the retirement age up a little bit since life expectancy has bumped up a little bit.

Obviously if everyone starting living to 100 we would need to adjust retirement up. Does anyone disagree it is time now? I honestly do not know what is the correct bump.

Does anyone disagree?

No disagreement here; I've been saying this for a long time now. And raising the retirement age two years over the next 65 isn't going to cut it. They should raise it one year every five years until it hits 70 or 71. While doing this, they will need to account for an increase in disability benefits, as some just will not physically be able to work past 65, however that number should not be all that high. I have no intention of retiring before I hit 70, and my father is still working full-time. He will be 74 in June.

The Social Security limit must be raised to at least $250,000. Throwing retired Americans living on SS and needing Medicare under the bus is evil. Of course callous conservatives don't really give a damn about anyone but themselves, so one might argue a callous conservative is not evil, rather they manifest characteristics of persons diagnosed with an antisocial personality disorder.

I have no problem raising the cap on earnings that goes toward SS. However, the retirement age has to be raised. When SS was first instituted, the average lifespan was barely 65. Now it is 78 plus. SS was not meant to be paid out for an average of 13 years or more.

Throwing retired Americans living on SS and needing Medicare under the bus is evil

Failure to redistribute income is "evil." Gotcha. I wrote that down in my handy dandy notebook for future reference.

Failing to provide a safety net is evil. Providing a free ride is also evil.

Is it not allowing the government to create a "safety net" (which is a concept of bullcrap to begin with) evil?

Why is the truth so difficult for people to admit? We are responsible for the choices we make. There is no safety net that can protect us from the consequences of our actions.

Failure to redistribute income is "evil." Gotcha. I wrote that down in my handy dandy notebook for future reference.

Is it not allowing the government to create a "safety net" (which is a concept of bullcrap to begin with) evil?

Why is the truth so difficult for people to admit? We are responsible for the choices we make. There is no safety net that can protect us from the consequences of our actions.

We, as a society, are responsible for the choices we make.

We, as a society, are responsible for the choices we make.

No. We as individuals are.

what alarmist it is happening , but you love your parents and taking them in is a tradition before SS
whats old is new again
Ending a worthless ponzi scheme such as SS is the least the repugs could do for this nation.

before SS family's touch their aging parents in , supported them , now we do it again , that means help with doctor bills , the hole thing , gram-ma gram-pa you and your kids , all under the same roof . it'll bring back family , you'll get along , and when your old you'll live with your kids , what ? no family ? shelters .

Ya....that's just what the aged want. To beg their children for help rather than live on their own in dignity.

''A great calamity has come upon us, and seemingly no cause of our own,'' declared a 69-year-old architect, one of millions of Americans who wrote to President and Mrs. Roosevelt, pleading for help. ''It has swept away what little savings we had accumulated and we are left in a condition that is impossible for us to correct.''

A 72-year-old man wrote, ''I have worked hard all my life, and bad luck has overtaken me in my old days, and I wanted to see if you could help me get a little relief, so I can get me a team and to make a crop this next year.'' He added, ''You know that I need it or I would not ask for it.''

The World - Life Before Social Security - 'A Great Calamity Has Come Upon Us' - NYTimes.com

Here are some facts for you to consider.........

Between 1959 and 1974, the elderly poverty rate fell from 35 percent to 15 percent. This was largely attributable to a set of increases in Social Security benefits. The elderly poverty rate has continued to decline in subsequent decades, reaching 9.4 percent in 2006. Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits continue to play a key role in reducing elderly poverty, especially among women and people of color. If Social Security benefits did not exist, an estimated 44 percent of the elderly would be poor today, assuming no changes in behavior.

Elderly Poverty: The Challenge Before Us

Why in the hell do these heartless bastards want to turn back the hands of progress and go back to a time that saw the elderly living in dire poverty?

Last edited:

There is always a choice. If you cant convince someone to give you a job, you create your own. There is always work to do.
And that's exactly what I'm doing, which is what I did for the previous 40 years, independent contracting. Just not nearly as much of it. And to think or assume there's someone who wants you as an employee, and rely on that assumption leads to disappointment, especially to those who weren't able to put anything away for lean times. Just a thought...bodies doing many years of hard physical work give out in the knees, lower back and shoulders. Look around you.

Bush's plan was the best option and would've had the best results. The alternative before us, tacitly in place, is Obamacare, and it will get the job done by eliminating the problem demographicically through rapid attrition.

Last edited:

Actually it is the dimwits going after the retirements. Link proof or stop spreading lies.

Has anyone noticed that not ONE congress man, judge or President and staff have offered to take a pay cut to get in line with the rest of us. They all say cut the budget, lets start at the top and work down.

An intelligent poster would have posted a link to prove such an allegation, but I kind of doubt that you've ever been accused of being all that intelligent.

BTW, It would be Tea Party members, not your friends the teabaggers.

Forum List

Back