Republicans: why do you ignore the wealth inequality issue?

lets see, what's different.

The rich have no affect on my life beyond providing me with a job and benefits that go to care and feed my family.

The government takes some of that money and removes my Constitutional rights, over spends , making the money I keep worth less, thus making it harder for me to care and feed my family.

Like I said, we, unlike you, are not a bunch of whinny crybabies.

The trickle down is a myth. Corporations are making record profits and taxes are at record lows. Where are the jobs exactly?

Record profits sounds pretty impressive, until you realize that those record profits amount to less than 5% of the gross of some of the larger corporations. A small business would collapse under that margin, but large companies can make it because of the sheer volume.

By the way, corporate taxes are actually among the highest in the world, individual taxes are the ones you are actually talking about when you throw out that low tax line. The fact that you do not understand that indicates why you should not be discussing this.

Our corporate tax is the lowest in the world, but it has also been at its lowest point in years. Obviously, it wasn't a problem before. And yes, individual taxes are different from corporate taxes. I was making a separate point about the trickle down theory.

The trickle down is a myth. Corporations are making record profits and taxes are at record lows. Where are the jobs exactly?

Record profits sounds pretty impressive, until you realize that those record profits amount to less than 5% of the gross of some of the larger corporations. A small business would collapse under that margin, but large companies can make it because of the sheer volume.

By the way, corporate taxes are actually among the highest in the world, individual taxes are the ones you are actually talking about when you throw out that low tax line. The fact that you do not understand that indicates why you should not be discussing this.

Our corporate tax is the lowest in the world, but it has also been at its lowest point in years. Obviously, it wasn't a problem before. And yes, individual taxes are different from corporate taxes. I was making a separate point about the trickle down theory.

It is? Really?

U.S. States Lead the World in High Corporate Taxes

The rich don't work hard.

The poor do.

I think in fairness there are both rich and poor that work hard and both rich and poor who don't. One issue here is Private Property Rights. Another is a Fair, Impartial way to Tax fairly. Yes I think Investment should be taxed at the same rate as Salary. I'm not big on Subsidies, Exemptions, or Loopholes, either.

Nope, they are among the highest. Just scroll down to figure 2-1.
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/69xx/doc6902/11-28-CorporateTax.pdf

Whether they actually pay this rate is certainly debate, as many do not, including Obama's job Czar. Many pay much less via tax shelters and loopholes.

Regardless, the US has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. When you include the additional taxes states can levy on corporation, it increases morel.

Wealth is not a zero sum game. I can be wealthy (actually I am wealthy) and YOU can be wealthy. Want to help the poor? Get rich. Lead by example. Want to get rich? Commit as much time to being wealthy as you do to: complaining, watching television, drinking alcohol, surfing the internet, being envious of others, and screwing off.

Bullshit.

No one is doing 80 million dollars of work.

No one.

They are manipulating the system so they get the rewards. The physical work they do is nowhere near what they get paid.

Do I think the CEO should get paid more than I do? Sure. No problem. Do I think that we should have a system where they make 8 figures, even if they run the company into the ground and require a government bailout? NOPE!!!!!

And this is the problem with Romney, and why he's toxic. He and his boys did exactly that with these companies, and left lenders, stockholder, workers and the government on the hook.

Union Thug/Wealth Envier/God Denier speaks...

Please point out anything I said that was inaccurate.

I'll ask you honestly, did Wagoneer, the guy who ran GM into the ground and require a government bailout, deserve a 12 million dollar salary? The only reason why he was thrown out was because the government insisted he leave as a condition of the bailout, becuase he was kind of worthless.

But you'd begrudge the union thug ACTUALLY ASSEMBLING THE CAR $28.00 an hour.

Can you kind of see where your priorities are kind of skewed here?

The facts should anger you.

You say any person deserves to keep every cent they make. That would be fine, except that most of the people in the top 5% are not EARNING all of the money that they are MAKING.

Why ignore the evidence?

Wealth And Inequality In America

Productivity and profits are up, yet wages for the middle class haven't changed over the last few decades unlike the 1%

I don't think that I should make more money simply because of the top 5%. I just the think the wealthy should pay a fair tax that would go to benefit programs for lower level workers. In doing so, their hardwork can be fulfilled.

Suppose you are intolerably rich and because you have more money than you need, you decide to invest some of it in a new business that you expect to yield to you a net return after taxes of 20%, and this business will create more jobs, but taxes on your income are increased so that now you would only expect to net 10% after taxes. This investment carried a risk that was acceptable when you expected a 20% return but now that you only expect a 10% return the risk is unacceptable, so you don't make the investment and the jobs are not created and more (unemployed) workers need more government benefits and we're back where we started.

The way to help workers is to increase job creating investments in the private sector so that when demand for workers increases companies will compete for them by offering more benefits or higher salaries. Every dollar that is taxed away by the government is a dollar that can't be invested in the private sector to create more jobs; moreover, higher tax rates make investors more risk averse and that slows economic growth and job creation further.

Here is a list of the tax rates around the world, why don't you list all the countries that charge more than we do? It is really short, which means one of two things, either you are wrong, or all the numbers are lying.

Tax rates around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

did the guy who ran GM into the ground and require a government bailout, deserve a 12 million dollar salary??

As a liberal you miss the point completely, if a company pays its employees too much in a capitalist system a competitor can undersell them and drive them into bankruptcy. The Yankees pay Jeter 10 million because they need his talent.

Everyone gets paid according to their worth or talent in a capitalist system so you have the best possible products in a competitive global market.

The second your bleeding heart makes you start paying fake inflated union wages or fake inflated liberal wages you lose your competitive position and your country sinks as ours is doing.

Last edited:

The jobs are in Silicon Valley. And Texas. And Wall Street. And in little hidden hi-tech complexes scattered all over the country.

So...do you want to hear the rest of the answer, or is your mind made up?

The answer is a long and complicated one, but I will keep it as short as possible.

First, manufacturing is a process of evolution. If you don't evolve, you die out. So we can keep making textiles and lava lamps and toys and electronic circuit boards and TVs and radios, at the cost of losing our technological edge. Trying to hold onto age-old jobs through protectionism will kill us off in very short order.

We must evolve. We must anticipate the jobs of tomorrow and train our future workers for the jobs of tomorrow. We must keep our math and science edge in the classroom. The days of going to work in your father's factory are over! Evolution has sped up.

If we do not train for tomorrow today, we will never catch up. We are in grave danger of this very thing. Everyone is always looking for the quick and easy solution. But no amount of tax breaks for business will change this fact of life. No amount of legislative incentive to create jobs will work, either.

The investment in education which will reap advantage tomorrow cannot be realized overnight. Our country needs to get the fuck out of this "fix it now!" mindset.

The second factor is simpler to grasp.

It takes less people to make the same amount of stuff it took just a couple decades ago. So while we still make the most stuff in the world, make as much stuff as we used to, we don't need as many people to make it.

Industrial factories are experiencing what farming experienced a century ago. I don't have the exact numbers at my fingertips, but when the Great Depression hit, about one third of Americans were farmers. Now, it takes something like three percent of Americans to feed us all.

So give up this ridiculous idea that factories are the answer to our employment problems. It is time to evolve, or die.

Nice message, Develop works better for me than evolve though. There are other factors in competition too, Quality V.S. Quantity, for one. The mix is relative to need right? Different values for specific need. Sometimes Customers need things tailored to different standards. Customer Service is key, if you can deliver what your competition can't. You can choose to stay small or grow, in what you do. You may choose to stay cutting edge, or go in a different direction, right? Invention and Discovery move at a remarkable pace sometimes, creating new needs, and services, too. Many things are obsolete even before mass production, so there is a mine field there too. There are few guarantees.

One thing to keep in mind about Farming and the Depression, Roosevelt ended share cropping with his economic policies. He left the Share Croppers homeless, literally. Look at the advancements in Organic Farming today. Profitable and worth the cost. There is hope there. Statist Progressivism is about giving unfair advantage to the Big Corporations, to create a centralized power, and then Usurp it. We lose, The small Businesses lose, the Corporations get hit hard too, in the end. State Capitalism thrives.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

No one is doing 80 million dollars of work.

No one.

They are manipulating the system so they get the rewards. The physical work they do is nowhere near what they get paid.

Do I think the CEO should get paid more than I do? Sure. No problem. Do I think that we should have a system where they make 8 figures, even if they run the company into the ground and require a government bailout? NOPE!!!!!

And this is the problem with Romney, and why he's toxic. He and his boys did exactly that with these companies, and left lenders, stockholder, workers and the government on the hook.

Union Thug/Wealth Envier/God Denier speaks...

Please point out anything I said that was inaccurate.

I'll ask you honestly, did Wagoneer, the guy who ran GM into the ground and require a government bailout, deserve a 12 million dollar salary? The only reason why he was thrown out was because the government insisted he leave as a condition of the bailout, becuase he was kind of worthless.

But you'd begrudge the union thug ACTUALLY ASSEMBLING THE CAR $28.00 an hour.

Can you kind of see where your priorities are kind of skewed here?

Your first word calling the statement that wealth is not a 0 sum game is inaccurate.

A person that takes over a failing company and fires 50% of the workers, closes down 1/3 of the retail outlets is worth 12 million dollars. He knows which of the 50% to fire and which retail outlets should be closed.

A commercial enterprise is NOT a welfare office.

Our corporate tax is the lowest in the world, but it has also been at its lowest point in years.

actually our corporate rate is the highest in the world, although the effective rate is competitive, i.e., they don't pay much tax as long as they do things like move operations off shore and don't repatriate the profits . Kevin Bassett is my source on this.

did the guy who ran GM into the ground and require a government bailout, deserve a 12 million dollar salary??

As a liberal you miss the point completely, if a company pays its employees too much in a capitalist system a competitor can undersell them and drive them into bankruptcy. The Yankees pay Jeter 10 million because they need his talent.

Everyone gets paid according to their worth or talent in a capitalist system so you have the best possible products in a competitive global market.

The second your bleeding heart makes you start paying fake inflated union wages or fake inflated liberal wages you lose your competitive position and your country sinks as ours is doing.

Yes and no. If that were true in Domestic phone service, everyone would choose magic Jack, which is fine until you need to make a phone call or receive one, or get equipment replaced. :D Service Matters. Reliability matters, Customer Satisfaction matters. I have Vendors that I stick with because of experience, Reliability, and Customer Service. Undercutting with incompetence is bad form.

Our corporate tax is the lowest in the world, but it has also been at its lowest point in years.

actually our corporate rate is the highest in the world, although the effective rate is competitive, i.e., they don't pay much tax as long as they do things like move operations off shore and don't repatriate the profits . Kevin Bassett is my source on this.

Right, that is the problem. We need realistic expectancies regarding Tax Rates for All of Us without the games. IRS Tax Code is not helping us.

Yes and no. If that were true in Domestic phone service, everyone would choose magic Jack, which is fine until you need to make a phone call or receive one, or get equipment replaced. :D Service Matters. Reliability matters, Customer Satisfaction matters. I have Vendors that I stick with because of experience, Reliability, and Customer Service. Undercutting with incompetence is bad form.

no idea what your point is??

Last edited:
A person that takes over a failing company and fires 50% of the workers, closes down 1/3 of the retail outlets is worth 12 million dollars. He knows which of the 50% to fire and which retail outlets should be closed.

A commercial enterprise is NOT a welfare office.

If he takes the time to study what's going on, yes.

Right, that is the problem. We need realistic expectancies regarding Tax Rates for All of Us without the games. IRS Tax Code is not helping us.
It isn't. It's punative, and used by politicians for vote buying.

Needs to go. 16th? Buh-bye. FAIR or Flat tax...Hello.

by far most intelligent thing is to eliminate business taxes altogether since they are passed on anyway. GE has 1000 tax professionals shifting business all around the globe not because it makes them more efficient but because it saves taxes. It makes them very very inefficient.

What it does do is pander to the pure ignorance of liberal voters who think it make evil corporations pay up when really it is they who are paying up!!

Traitor- someone not acting in the best interest of my country.

Romney and other off-shorers are traitors.

Simple enough.

Yes, they are AMERICAN jobs. The problem is we put the greed of corporations above the interests of our citizens. There are all sorts of ways you can make life miserable for the off-shoring traitors, and most other countries- including China - do exactly that. Tariffs, quality inspections, quality standards.

We can have clean water, but we shouldn't make our factories compete with people who've killed everything in the Yansgtze River... That's a part of the problem. We want to have our cake and eat it, too.

So, you're making up your own definitions of words now too? No wonder your posts are such a clusterfuck of bullshit.

FYI: Section 3 of the US Constitution (you have heard of that document, right?)

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Moron.

Again, for the stupid kid at the back: The only 'American jobs' are those funded by US taxpayers. No other jobs belongs to Americans. That's a simple fact.... you don't like that fact... un-fucking-lucky.

YOu move jobs over to countries tha ain't our friends, you know ones that murder their own citizens to harvest their organs for transplants... I'd call that giving them aid and comfort.

Shit, talk to Jonathan Pollard. That joker's still in jail for giving our secrets to the Zionists. (I think they are our friends, but it's hard to tell.)

The problem is we don't treat our manufacturing like we treat plans to the B-2, intelligence we have on Iraq we promised to share with Israel and didn't, or a bald eagle egg. If we did, some of these guys would think twice.

And as long as companies demand government services, they should be required to hire Americans. Simple enough for me. You show me a business that doesn't need roads, police protection, etc. It's a fair exchange, and we need to start demanding better....
No one is "moving jobs"....Global competition dictates the marketplace. To be frank, there are not that many jobs that are not here that used to be.
Most jobs that have disappeared by attrition or technology.
It simply takes less people to do the same amount of work that it did 30 or even 20 years ago.
As a matter of fact our production output is greater than it ever has been. Hence reason why the handwringers get to post these dopey charts that indicate productivity has outpaced wages. Of course it has. When fewer workers are required to produce a higher volume of product, the cost goes down and thus the amount of wages paid to produce the product. This is not some evil plot to create a large underclass.
Look, if you want perpetual employment where government mandates employees are kept on the payroll even when there is nothing for them to do, move to France. That country has such laws. And 20% unemployment with a generation of youth that cannot find decent work because they have to wait until someone dies or retires in order to get a job.

Forum List

Back