Does character matter?

Does character matter

• Total voters
FDR and Reagan, though opposite in many ways, had character. They both believed in their individual visions passionately, and they did exactly what they thought best regardless of public opinion or personal consequence.

Nixon and Clinton, however, were opportunists who shifted with the prevailing winds. They also had deep character flaws . I actually think Nixon and Clinton were great presidents. I'd take Nixon over any president that followed, including Clinton.

Some think Nixon lacked character. I say "who cares?"

- he was a great president.

Last edited:
Of course character matters. Character is just a neutral thing though. 'Character' isn't inherently good or bad. Everybody has character, nobody lacks it. It's all about the quality of their character... that's what matters. A person can have good character, or bad character... or lie somewhere in the middle as most do.

Sure, there's a definition out there... but that's not what I feel character is. I feel everybody possesses character that is shaped by their own actions and upbringing.

Last edited:
Are we already in 1984??

Debating human emotions and personalities??

Last edited:
ones character helps define a person as the person that they are.....

so, yes....i think ones ''character'' comes in to play with everyone we meet.

I had a boss who was the smartest man I have ever known or met.....everything he did at work turned in to gold. He had a flaw though, (if one chooses to call it that)....he loved women/sex. At least 3-4 women in the office where i worked had affairs with him....one, before he and his wife got divorced....and the women varied....the secretary for the office who was only 20, to another woman who was almost as high up in the company as him who was 40....the same age as him at the time.... many would say, ''a man of poor character'' about someone like him, but honest to goodness, no one on earth could have done a better job than him in the position he held....even I could recognize that....

in this day and age, i'm certain he would have been charged with harassment, but when i was young, sexual harassment at work wasn't even talked about or considered...

I think men in power....have the kind of personalities or ''characters'' that tend to be alphas....they are aggressive go getters.....and this seems to make them aggressive in their personal lives as well....not all of them....but I have seen enough of this in my lifetime to venture to say, probably more so, than not.

Men of high moral character don't got into politics, ever.

So it's a waste of time and energy looking for the perfect person to run the country.

Pick the person you think will do what's right for the country and don't care what they do any other time.

As long as it's legal, of course.

Yes.

And having a six year affair before asking your wife to have an open marriage while screwing someone in HER bed is about a low as you can get. Newt looks Clinton look good by comparison.

Yes.

And having a six year affair before asking your wife to have an open marriage while screwing someone in HER bed is about a low as you can get. Newt looks Clinton look good by comparison.

Um... no, he doesn't. Since we are going to treat unsubstiated accusations as gospel, let's look at Clinton's "Greatest Hits"

"You'd better put some ice on that"- Clinton to Juanita Brodderick after he raped her.

Calling Monica Lewinsky a "stalker", until she produced the jizz-stained dress.

Spending 10 million dollars and attacking Paula Jones in the media before finally settling. All the woman wanted was an apology.

Oh, but all those women were liars, right?

Men of high moral character don't got into politics, ever.

So it's a waste of time and energy looking for the perfect person to run the country.

Pick the person you think will do what's right for the country and don't care what they do any other time.

As long as it's legal, of course.

I don't expect my politicians to be perfect people. I do expect them to demonstrate some character. Most of us are a mixture of both good and bad traits. The difference, to me, is recognizing the bad and making an effort to be better.

For instance, if one is predisposed to cheating on one's spouse, then don't make the commitment that marriage entails. Tell your partner that's why you won't. Be open. Don't lie to someone and tell them you'll be faithful when you know you have no intention of being faithful. Not hard.

Yes.

JFK, FDR, JE, AW, WJC,

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

preach it to us baby in yer secular space!

I didn't vote for any of them after their affairs were made public. Well, I wasn't around to vote for most of them....and I sure as hell won't vote for Newt. More importantly, neither will either of my parents and they both hate Obama.

I don't expect my politicians to be perfect people. I do expect them to demonstrate some character. Most of us are a mixture of both good and bad traits. The difference, to me, is recognizing the bad and making an effort to be better.

For instance, if one is predisposed to cheating on one's spouse, then don't make the commitment that marriage entails. Tell your partner that's why you won't. Be open. Don't lie to someone and tell them you'll be faithful when you know you have no intention of being faithful. Not hard.

Most marriages fail. Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I'm not.

People change. And sometimes they change in different directions. So a marriage failing is not a mark of dishonor.

Screwing average working families to make yourself obscene amounts of money when you were born rich... yeah, that's immoral to me.

It does.

Which is why I liked Huntsman.

If you asked him on Monday morning where he stood on an issue, you didn't have to worry where he'd be on the following Thursday. Newt and Mitt will tell one group on Monday one thing and another group on Thursday something else. Witness Newt's flip flops on Libya.

Most marriages fail. Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I'm not.

People change. And sometimes they change in different directions. So a marriage failing is not a mark of dishonor.

Screwing average working families to make yourself obscene amounts of money when you were born rich... yeah, that's immoral to me.
Not a mark of dishonor, for sure. Being married three times does illustrate a tendency of someone making poor choices.

But worse, cheating on your wife for six years illustrates a lying, cheating, arrogant asswipe.

Forum List

Back