Republicans Still can't govern

RealDave

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2016
So, how long have we known when the government would have to shuyt down for lack of approc-ved funding?

Months & months.

Yet the Republicans blew it off until two days before the deadline.

If you were a CEO and the CFO stopped your office on a Wednesday & said " Oh, by the way, we have to shut down on Friday because I didn't take the time to put together a spending plan for the year. If I feel like it, we might be OK if I can throw something together to cover us for two weeks.

Wouldn't you fire his ass?

So, how long have we known when the government would have to shuyt down for lack of approc-ved funding?

Months & months.

If you were a CEO and the CFO stopped your office on a Wednesday & said " Oh, by the way, we have to shut down on Friday because I didn't take the time to put together a spending plan for the year. If I feel like it, we might be OK if I can throw something together to cover us for two weeks.

Contractors usually wait to renew their insurance just before it expires, requiring us Construction Managers to be ready with Stop Work Orders in case they are late.

They do it because they wait for the best possible deal before pulling the trigger. Here the politicians wait until someone blinks to get whatever goodies they want added or subtracted.

So basically you are bitching about how things have always happened with continuing resolutions to fund the government, it just that your smarmy slimy "intellect" saw a chance to get a "gotcha" moment on Republicans.

What a wanker.

Months & months.

So you're admitting the private sector functions better than the government?

The majority of government does not shut down idiot. SS checks will still go out and Medicare will still get paid!

So how much will the shut down cost us? The last one cost 24 billion.

Months & months.

None of this would be an issue of you progressives simply learned to compromise and vote for a balanced budget each and every year.

Months & months.

We all KNOW --- you don't really WANT them to -- doya? :banana:

The majority of government does not shut down idiot. SS checks will still go out and Medicare will still get paid!

So how much will the shut down cost us? The last one cost 24 billion.

Or enough to run the federal government for two days and change.

recheck your math

Why?

2017 Estimate

Federal budget, 3.65 trillion. 365 days in a year. 10 Billion per day.

24 billion, 2 days and change.

Months & months.

None of this would be an issue of you progressives simply learned to compromise and vote for a balanced budget each and every year.
Whether a budget is balanced or not has nothing to do with when appropriations expire. Congress passes an appropriation that authorizes government entities to spend money up to a point in time. When the appropriation expiry date arrives, the government can no longer spend money unless and until Congress authorizes additional spending.

A government shutdown is when non-essential discretionary federal programs close. The Executive branch must do this when Congress fails to appropriate funds. In the normal budget process, Congress appropriates funds by September 30 for the following fiscal year. When that doesn't happen, then Congress enacts a continuing funding resolution. If Congress can't even agree on that, then that forces a shutdown.
Source

Whereas discretionary spending must be appropriated every year, mandatory spending is authorized either for multi-year periods or permanently. Thus, mandatory spending generally continues during a shutdown. However, some services associated with mandatory programs may be diminished if there is a discretionary component to their funding. For instance, in both the 1996 shutdowns and the 2013 shutdown, Social Security checks continued to go out. However, staff who handled new enrollments and other services, such as changing addresses or handling requests for a new Social Security card, were initially furloughed in 1996. In 2013, a more limited amount of activities were discontinued, including verifying benefits and providing new and replacement cards, but processing of benefit applications or address changes continued.
Source

Despite the language used, federal government shutdowns do not result from not having money. They result from not having authority to spend money. Never in modern history has literally having no money been the nature of what causes the government to shut down.

Quite simply, the federal government is not like you and me. For us, "funding" means we either have money or we don't. Because the federal government always has access, and in effect unlimited access, to cash, however, "funding" means authority to spend the money to which it has access. That authority comes from Congress in the form of one or more appropriations. It's a situation similar to one's receiving a periodic payment from one's (irrevocable) trust fund and having the trust fail to issue one's next payment. The money is there, but one has no ability to obtain it, thus spend it, until the trust issues the payment.
It's also worth noting that, unlike you and me, the federal government does not "save for a rainy day." What government entities are authorized to spend, they spend. They do this because implicit in their not spending it is the premise that they didn't need it; thus Congress will appropriate less next time round.

Months & months.

Whether a budget is balanced or not has nothing to do with when appropriations expire. Congress passes an appropriation that authorizes government entities to spend money up to a point in time. When the appropriation expiry date arrives, the government can no longer spend money unless and until Congress authorizes additional spending.

A government shutdown is when non-essential discretionary federal programs close. The Executive branch must do this when Congress fails to appropriate funds. In the normal budget process, Congress appropriates funds by September 30 for the following fiscal year. When that doesn't happen, then Congress enacts a continuing funding resolution. If Congress can't even agree on that, then that forces a shutdown.
Source

Whereas discretionary spending must be appropriated every year, mandatory spending is authorized either for multi-year periods or permanently. Thus, mandatory spending generally continues during a shutdown. However, some services associated with mandatory programs may be diminished if there is a discretionary component to their funding. For instance, in both the 1996 shutdowns and the 2013 shutdown, Social Security checks continued to go out. However, staff who handled new enrollments and other services, such as changing addresses or handling requests for a new Social Security card, were initially furloughed in 1996. In 2013, a more limited amount of activities were discontinued, including verifying benefits and providing new and replacement cards, but processing of benefit applications or address changes continued.
Source

Despite the language used, federal government shutdowns do not result from not having money. They result from not having authority to spend money. Never in modern history has literally having no money been the nature of what causes the government to shut down.

Quite simply, the federal government is not like you and me. For us, "funding" means we either have money or we don't. Because the federal government always has access, and in effect unlimited access, to cash, however, "funding" means authority to spend the money to which it has access. That authority comes from Congress in the form of one or more appropriations. It's a situation similar to one's receiving a periodic payment from one's (irrevocable) trust fund and having the trust fail to issue one's next payment. The money is there, but one has no ability to obtain it, thus spend it, until the trust issues the payment.
It's also worth noting that, unlike you and me, the federal government does not "save for a rainy day." What government entities are authorized to spend, they spend. They do this because implicit in their not spending it is the premise that they didn't need it; thus Congress will appropriate less next time round.
You have to make an effort to understand what is meant by "balanced budget".

A budget lays out an entire year spending starting on October 1st and runs until September 31. At which point, the Congress must once again have a budget ready for the next fiscal years spending. There is absolutely no need to appropriate additional spending and a budget authorizes spending for the entire year.

Months & months.

Source

Source

You have to make an effort to understand what is meant by "balanced budget". A budget lays out an entire year spending starting on October 1st and runs until September 31. At which point, the Congress must once again have a budget ready for the next fiscal years spending. There is absolutely no need to appropriate additional spending and a budget authorizes spending for the entire year.
I made and accomplished that effort ages ago.

I assure you that what you think be a balanced budget is not what every CPA, CA, CMA, government accountant, and accounting student who mastered fund accounting (sometimes part of a class called advanced accounting) will say it is. A balanced budget is a financial plan that stipulates, for a fund accounting entity, that expenditures equal receipts and not create a deficit for the entity, or, for a proprietary accounting entity, that expenses not exceed revenues.
The periodicity of a budget has nothing to do with whether the budget in question is balanced; it has only to do with determining the sum total of money the budgeted organization/activity may spend (can spend, if the organization is governmental), in any given budget period. [1] The reason for that derives from the core purpose of budgetary accounting and reporting, which is not the same as that of financial accounting and reporting.

The central purpose of budgetary accounting is to facilitate management and control of expenditures and the activities that give rise to them. The shorter the period of a budget, the more control the authorizers of monies have over expenditures and their related activities. In the private sector, managers seek greater degrees of control for very straightforward purposes, all of which have to with operational and managerial nimbleness. In governments, those same straightforward objectives exist; however, there is another one -- political control and leverage. Legislatures authorize budgets that do not spend all the available monies [2] or for shorter than one-year periods to obtain/retain what they consider a reasonable balance between the competing objectives of maximizing political control/leverage while affording managers (exec branch) the monetary leeway needed to operate government programs effectively and efficiently. [3]

"Balanced," in terms of budgeting, is a quantitative trait, not a temporal one. A balanced budget is merely an entity's budget whereby it obliges itself to spend no more than the sum total of money the entity has in reasonably assured (allowing for doubtful accounts, that is sums receivable the entity is owed but unlikely to receive in full) receipts plus cash (and cash equivalents) on hand for the period covered by the budget in question, be that accounting period in question a week, month, year, lustrum, decade, etc. Naturally, the most common used/budgeted accounting period is a calendar or fiscal year; however, any period of time can be budgeted.

Note:
  1. In accounting, financial and budgetary, periodicity is defined/declared by the organization holding title to the resources being earned, incurred, received, and/or expended. Most entities declare accounting periods of weeks, months, quarters and years; however, sometimes, most notably for grants and projects, the topmost budget period is the life of the project or grant, that period being subdivided by year(s), months, quarters, and weeks, when/where necessary for effective management, measurement and reporting.
  2. Below is the accounting entry when a governmental budget authority appropriates less than the total money available is as follows (amounts are for illustration only):

• Funds Obtained $100,000
      Appropriation $80,000
      Unreserved Fund Balance $20,000
      To establish and record budgetary authorization for $80K in expenditures
      To authorize use/borrowing of $100K
    • Were the budget for any entity other than the federal government, the second explanatory note would not exist because the debit would be to "estimated revenue/receipts;" however, because the federal government is not constrained by any practical limits on what it can spend, that is, it can borrow whatever it needs/wants, the debit is to an account names so that it reflects that aspect of flexibility the federal government uniquely has.
  3. For instance, an operational mess would ensue were Congress to grossly under-appropriate a program such that they have to authorize more money every few months. The department, agency, bureau, program, etc. administrators must be given enough spending authorization to do that which Congress has stipulated the program must do. On the other hand, Congress wants to keep the "reigns" tight enough so that administrators don't become profligate.

Additionally, both political parties rather like that they can, if they feel it necessary and in effect, hold the POTUS hostage by threatening or effecting a government shutdown, particularly at the end of the calendar year. (On the other hand, you don't much see them letting appropriations go unrenewed around April 15th. LOL)

Months & months.

Contractors usually wait to renew their insurance just before it expires, requiring us Construction Managers to be ready with Stop Work Orders in case they are late.

They do it because they wait for the best possible deal before pulling the trigger. Here the politicians wait until someone blinks to get whatever goodies they want added or subtracted.

So basically you are bitching about how things have always happened with continuing resolutions to fund the government, it just that your smarmy slimy "intellect" saw a chance to get a "gotcha" moment on Republicans.

What a wanker.
Well ain't they dumber than shit.

Where is your negotiating power when the insurance companies know you are under a time frame emergency.

No gotcha. Just the truth. Republicans have control of both houses & the White House & still can't do shit.

Months & months.

WE HAD A BALANCE BUDGET & BUSH & THE REPUBLICANS FUCKED IT.

My God you assholes are dumber than shit.

YOUR fucking party just passed a bill that add a trillion plus to the deficit.

Just how duped can you get.

Months & months.

WE HAD A BALANCE BUDGET & BUSH & THE REPUBLICANS FUCKED IT.

My God you assholes are dumber than shit.

YOUR fucking party just passed a bill that add a trillion plus to the deficit.

Just how duped can you get.
Moron, we haven't had a balanced budget since the Democrats took control of Congress back in 2002.

Your party passed continuing resolutions and added nearly 10 trillion to the debt.

Stop being such an ass.

Months & months.

What a wanker.
Well ain't they dumber than shit.

Where is your negotiating power when the insurance companies know you are under a time frame emergency.

No gotcha. Just the truth. Republicans have control of both houses & the White House & still can't do shit.

It works because there isn't really any penalty except missing a work day here or there, and they can save tens of thousands if they find an insurer with even a slightly lower rate.

Plenty is getting done, PDT is just making you idiots miss it with his antics.

The GOP are perhaps the most ignorant, unintelligible party in US history, which shows overwhelmingly that white people deserve them and they deserve each other...LOLOLOLO

Forum List

Back