Republicans put moron in charge of Higher Education

The contempt Republicans have for education is bad enough, but to put someone as ridiculous as this in charge goes far beyond anything they have done in the past.

Congresswoman Virginia Foxx : Press Releases : Foxx named chair of House Higher Education subcommittee
Washington, DC—Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (NC-05) today announced her appointment as chairwoman of the House Higher Education Subcommittee. The subcommittee oversees federal policy on U.S. colleges and universities and is part of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, which will be chaired by Rep. Ron Kline (R-MN).

Hopefully, people will go and find out about this woman on their own. Anything I write they would never believe. It's just too crazy. And I thought Ralph Hall for Science and Technology was bad.

Why do you say she is a moron, and what role does the committee play in the country’s institutions of higher education?

“Foxx previously served on the Education and the Workforce Committee from 2005-2008. She also brings a strong background in higher education to her new role atop the subcommittee. Before her election to Congress in 2004, Foxx taught at and served as an administrator at several North Carolina higher education institutions, including Appalachian State University, Caldwell Community College and Mayland Community College.

Foxx is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill where she earned her A.B. in English and her M.A.C.T. ( Master's of Clinical Teaching) in Sociology and of UNC-Greensboro where she earned an Ed.D. in Higher Education/Curriculum.”

She replaces Congressman Ruben Hinojosa.
His education and qualifications:
He earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Texas at Austin and his MBA from the University of Texas-Pan American, and In 1974, he was elected to the Texas State Board of Education, serving for 20 years.

On March 30, 2010, Congressman Hinojosa joined President Barack Obama for the signing of H.R. 4871: The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010. This legislation represents the single largest increase in student financial aid since the G.I. bill was signed in 1945. This bill invests $2.55 billion in historically Black Colleges and Universities and in Hispanic-Serving Institutions and other Minority Serving Institutions.

Ostensibly the purpose of that bill was to produce a savings of tax revenues by reducing the cost of college loans by removing private sector loans from all availability. By making college loans direct from the government, administering those loans “in house” and collecting on defaults, the government showed a cost savings to offset the costs of Obamacare.
As if the government can administer those loans at lower cost than the private sector can.

That is the kind of work the subcommittee does.

Last edited:

The contempt Republicans have for education is bad enough, but to put someone as ridiculous as this in charge goes far beyond anything they have done in the past.

Congresswoman Virginia Foxx : Press Releases : Foxx named chair of House Higher Education subcommittee
Washington, DC—Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (NC-05) today announced her appointment as chairwoman of the House Higher Education Subcommittee. The subcommittee oversees federal policy on U.S. colleges and universities and is part of the House Education and the Workforce Committee, which will be chaired by Rep. Ron Kline (R-MN).

Hopefully, people will go and find out about this woman on their own. Anything I write they would never believe. It's just too crazy. And I thought Ralph Hall for Science and Technology was bad.

Why do you say she is a moron, and what role does the committee play in the country’s institutions of higher education?

“Foxx previously served on the Education and the Workforce Committee from 2005-2008. She also brings a strong background in higher education to her new role atop the subcommittee. Before her election to Congress in 2004, Foxx taught at and served as an administrator at several North Carolina higher education institutions, including Appalachian State University, Caldwell Community College and Mayland Community College.

Foxx is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill where she earned her A.B. in English and her M.A.C.T. ( Master's of Clinical Teaching) in Sociology and of UNC-Greensboro where she earned an Ed.D. in Higher Education/Curriculum.”

He earned his bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Texas at Austin and his MBA from the University of Texas-Pan American, and In 1974, he was elected to the Texas State Board of Education, serving for 20 years.

On March 30, 2010, Congressman Hinojosa joined President Barack Obama for the signing of H.R. 4871: The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010. This legislation represents the single largest increase in student financial aid since the G.I. bill was signed in 1945. This bill invests $2.55 billion in historically Black Colleges and Universities and in Hispanic-Serving Institutions and other Minority Serving Institutions.

Ostensibly the purpose of that bill was to produce a savings of tax revenues by reducing the cost of college loans by removing private sector loans from all availability. By making college loans direct from the government, administering those loans “in house” and collecting on defaults, the government showed a cost savings to offset the costs of Obamacare.
As if the government can administer those loans at lower cost than the private sector can.

And she will make sure there is nothing available to help college students. Republicans are hostile to education. They do support "Affirmative Action". If your dad is a well connected millionaire, even if you are 894 out of 899, if you are "rich" it's OK.

When the economy was doing well before 2001 and America had 44,000 MORE factories than it does now, then dabbling in mysticism over eduction wasn't nearly so dangerous. In fact, when right wingers tried again and again to inject mysticism into public schools and science, for may Americans, it was even humorous. Dinosaurs in Noah's Ark. Mystical creation. For many Americans it was both a source of humor and entertainment.

Times have changed. GOP policies have paved the way to move millions of jobs to China. The notion that giving the rich less responsibly financially because they will create jobs is now known to be a delusion. They are investing in China NOT here.

Pushing religion in public schools and undermining education and science to push a mystical agenda is now known to be a disaster as America falls farther and father behind.

If mysticism was so good and so beneficial, then Red States would be centers of learning and technology. That hasn't happened. It won't happen.

Take a look at her Degrees, from the University of North Carolina. As far as I know, the only real science they teach is:

Science of Nursing
Science of Accounting
Science of Information Technology Management

These are not "real" science in the way Biology, Botany and Physiology is science.

I don't understand why right wingers continue to defend these positions when they have to know, in their own hearts and minds, what failures they are. We can see that every day in the economy.

Instead of discussing solutions, they ridicule and nothing else. Why? Because they have nothing else. Deep down, they know it to be true or they would offer solutions.

Your messiah's degree is in what exactly?

By your own standards, the democrats put a moron in charge of the United States of America.

:eusa_whistle:

If I understand correctly, his degrees are in political science with a specialization in international relations, and a Harvard Law Degree in Constitutional Law, which he also taught at the University Level for 10 years. Good degrees for a President to have.

I'm not against "Fox's Degrees" but her lack of support for education.

You guys scream and whine and call names all you want, but you can't name anything positive that she has accomplished. You can't name any policies that would actually help the country.

Unless you all think "mysticism" in public schools is a "good thing". In that case, no wonder you defend her so adamantly. That would make you guys "morons".

Keeping talented people from an education so you can give tax credits to rich people only hurts the country. Why you guys are all the servants of the rich is beyond me. You don't get anything. It's nutz.

She, like most NC politicians be they Republican or Democrat, is a whore for the tobacco companies.
That alone sets a bad example for youth.

She is under the thumb of Big Tobacco.
Sets a bad example for youth.

Lets see some proof of that - a link please

I have a link that proves without any doubt that Elvis is alive and working as a DEA operative.
Links don't prove anything.
She takes large amounts of tobacco cash and votes their way all the time.
Voted NO on any tobacco regulations siding with Big Tobacco's stance "nicotine is not a drug".
Before my DAWG days I was born and reared in NC. This woman is a hoot. I remember when the Winston Salem Journal came out against her and she claimed that Jesse Helms supporting, tobacco supporting paper were "liberal media". LOL, that paper is so conservative and in the back pocket of Big Tobacco they banned the Kudzu cartoon for a few anti tobacco strips and Doonesbury for their character Mr. Butts.
Brother, tobacco RULES in NC. Believe me. Done a lot of good over the years with cash but they lie and buy their way into politics.
She has voted against ANY regulation of tobacco and the many hazardous products that were added to tobacco. Phillip Morris SUPPORTED REGULATION yet NC tobacco giant Reynolds American told her to oppose the legislation. Note: "Told her".
Foxx works for special interest tobacco only.

I have a link that proves without any doubt that Elvis is alive and working as a DEA operative.
Voted NO on any tobacco regulations siding with Big Tobacco's stance "nicotine is not a drug".
Before my DAWG days I was born and reared in NC. This woman is a hoot. I remember when the Winston Salem Journal came out against her and she claimed that Jesse Helms supporting, tobacco supporting paper were "liberal media". LOL, that paper is so conservative and in the back pocket of Big Tobacco they banned the Kudzu cartoon for a few anti tobacco strips and Doonesbury for their character Mr. Butts.
Brother, tobacco RULES in NC. Believe me. Done a lot of good over the years with cash but they lie and buy their way into politics.
She has voted against ANY regulation of tobacco and the many hazardous products that were added to tobacco. Phillip Morris SUPPORTED REGULATION yet NC tobacco giant Reynolds American told her to oppose the legislation. Note: "Told her".

Tobacco is the SINGLE LARGEST health problem we have in America, THE SINGLE LARGEST cause of preventable death in this country and this woman opposes any regulation of it's use.
Doesn't take a rocket scientist TO KNOW she has no credibility.
Tobacco continues to receive LESS REGULATION than a head of iceberg lettuce.
How stupid does one have to be to see why?
Foxx in education sets a very bad example for our youth. She supports non regulated drug use.

Achieving and maintaining the highest standards in education is the key to our nation’s competitiveness in the world and our success as individuals. We must continue to teach today’s youth about the importance of a good education. If I had not applied myself and pursued a higher education, I would not be where I am today. In this great country -- the greatest on earth -- the opportunities are there if you have the determination and perseverance to take advantage of them.

I have spent many years as a school board member, college professor, and community college president. As an educator, two important things I have learned and of which I am a firm believer are: students are best served when people at the local level are in control of education decisions and the more competition we have in the field of education, the better our schools and the education our youth receives will be. Education is the most important tool Americans at any age can have.

Congresswoman Virginia Foxx : Education

Achieving and maintaining the highest standards in education is the key to our nation’s competitiveness in the world and our success as individuals. We must continue to teach today’s youth about the importance of a good education. If I had not applied myself and pursued a higher education, I would not be where I am today. In this great country -- the greatest on earth -- the opportunities are there if you have the determination and perseverance to take advantage of them.

I have spent many years as a school board member, college professor, and community college president. As an educator, two important things I have learned and of which I am a firm believer are: students are best served when people at the local level are in control of education decisions and the more competition we have in the field of education, the better our schools and the education our youth receives will be. Education is the most important tool Americans at any age can have.

yeah, shes SO unqualified on education

:lol:
only in rdean world

Assuming, and stipulating your assumptions about Virginia Foxx are true, how does that conflict against the powers of a chairperson of the Higher Education Subcommittee? How many college age young people know anything at all about such a chairperson guiding the considerations of such a committee? What does tobacco have to do with any of their deliberations?

Foxx only began serving in the US house as of 2005; how much tobacco legislation has passed or been the subject of house action during that time?

I will comment about your assertions to the extent that all my google searches on her name and the word tobacco only charged that she, being a republican, and against government policy vis-a-vis states still took tobacco subsidies in her home state of NC.

FROM HER BIO:
Foxx was born in The Bronx, New York. She graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, earning a bachelor's degree. She later earned a master's and doctoral degree in education from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Foxx worked as a research assistant at UNC and later became a professor at Appalachian State University. She was an English professor before moving into university administration. From 1987 until her 1994 entry into [NC State office] politics, she was president of Mayland Community College.

Last edited:

yeah, shes SO unqualified on education

:lol:
only in rdean world

We all know he hasn't a clue.

Assuming, and stipulating your assumptions about Virginia Foxx are true, how does that conflict against the powers of a chairperson of the Higher Education Subcommittee? How many college age young people know anything at all about such a chairperson guiding the considerations of such a committee? What does tobacco have to do with any of their deliberations?

Foxx only began serving in the US house as of 2005; how much tobacco legislation has passed or been the subject of house action during that time?

I will comment about your assertions to the extent that all my google searches on her name and the word tobacco only charged that she, being a republican, and against government policy vis-a-vis states still took tobacco subsidies in her home state of NC.

FROM HER BIO:
Foxx was born in The Bronx, New York. She graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, earning a bachelor's degree. She later earned a master's and doctoral degree in education from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Foxx worked as a research assistant at UNC and later became a professor at Appalachian State University. She was an English professor before moving into university administration. From 1987 until her 1994 entry into [NC State office] politics, she was president of Mayland Community College.

Fair argument but I am from NC. Appointing a politician to this position is also a bad example. Just because Democrats do it is no excuse.
I thought all college professors were liberals.
If this woman was a Democrat with THE SAME qualifications EVERY one and their brother, including Rush Limbaugh leading the charge, would be SCREAMING LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL.
"Just the facts 'maam."

FROM HER BIO:

Fair argument but I am from NC. Appointing a politician to this position is also a bad example. Just because Democrats do it is no excuse.
If this woman was a Democrat with THE SAME qualifications EVERY one and their brother, including Rush Limbaugh leading the charge, would be SCREAMING LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL.
"Just the facts 'maam."

So it's right back to the OP simply hates republicans, and there is no other reason for him to be against this appointment.

FROM HER BIO:

"Just the facts 'maam."
um, how can you NOT appoint a politician to this position?

you understand this is a congressional subcommittee, right?
ONLY politicians can be appointed

I thought all college professors were liberals.If this woman was a Democrat with THE SAME qualifications EVERY one and their brother, including Rush Limbaugh leading the charge, would be SCREAMING LIBERAL, LIBERAL, LIBERAL.
"Just the facts 'maam."

What is the meaning of this? I have lived all my life in a university city, and of the professors I'm well acquainted with, they are republicans, not democrats. The same is true of the scientists and engineers I'm acquainted with.

I personally would have no time for the kind of nonsense you project against certain republicans.
I wonder about your credentials, both as a republican and as an adult.

And for all it counts ... my four years spent outside of Indiana were spent in North Carolina.

Last edited:

FROM HER BIO:

"Just the facts 'maam."
um, how can you NOT appoint a politician to this position?

you understand this is a congressional subcommittee, right?
ONLY politicians can be appointed

That is ALL she does now is what I meant. Political ties to tobacco and special interest as in "being political" and in bed with tobacco.
Of course she is a politician to receive campaign cash from Big tobacco.

Forum List

Back